GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by stevereeves »

Self park (Park Assist) rules - except IMO it happily slots the car into gaps I feel are otherwise too narrow for car careless door dings....
Last edited by stevereeves on Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

stevereeves wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:52 pm Self park (Park Assist) rules - except IMO it happily slots the car into gaps I fell are otherwise too narrow for car careless door dings....
I have yet to actually use the feature. Still doubting that it works better than me :P
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:13 pm
stevereeves wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:52 pm Self park (Park Assist) rules - except IMO it happily slots the car into gaps I fell are otherwise too narrow for car careless door dings....
I have yet to actually use the feature. Still doubting that it works better than me :P
You need to be careful if using it when parallel parking. The Park Assist sensors use the position of the vehicles parked in front of, and behind the vacant space you intend to park in as reference points. If those vehicles have parked badly - e.g. with their nearside wheels up on the pavement or wheels rubbing up against the kerbstone - then there’s a high probability that Park Assist will also have your car mounting the pavement or rubbing up against the kerbstone, damaging your wheels in the process 😧.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:42 pm
OomStu_ZA wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:13 pm
You need to be careful if using it when parallel parking. The Park Assist sensors use the position of the vehicles parked in front of, and behind the vacant space you intend to park in as reference points. If those vehicles have parked badly - e.g. with their nearside wheels up on the pavement or wheels rubbing up against the kerbstone - then there’s a high probability that Park Assist will also have your car mounting the pavement or rubbing up against the kerbstone, damaging your wheels in the process 😧.
This ^^ too. A useful bit of kit but be mindful of it's limitations, if it ain't for you just ignore it, as I do with cruise control.....
Nora
Bronze Member
Drives: A polo

Post by Nora »

In 90 days of ownership I’ve covered 2k miles , mainly commuting. And I have to say after an initial hesitation it’s grown on me. There are moments where the big kid in me can now put it in sport mode and have a little fun, and it’s these moments that put a wry smile on my face
PoloLeaseLove
New
Drives: GTi

Post by PoloLeaseLove »

Hi all,

So here I am 4 months in with my Black Polo GTi on standard wheels and Michelin tyres. Just under 4K miles and ready for a nice drive from Yorkshire to North Wales for a week away. I’ve done some big trips so far - been to South Coast twice (MPG mid 40’s) and have a couple of very short daily commutes often stuck in city traffic (MPG low to mid 30’s).

I think the important figure then here in terms of MPG would be Long-term - I’ve got a figure of 34.7 MPG off 998 miles. I’m happy with that given my style of driving & journey, unless I have passengers I don’t hang about but take it steady when conditions are poor and never speed in urban areas.

Pros: quick, comfy, sleeper - looks sensible when I have the kids in (and can be driven accordingly), comfort, relatively refined.

Did I say quick? I mean wow! once the wheels are turning - so overtaking and motorway this thing is quick & quick off the mark too in the dry - deffo 6 seconds to sixty (no I’m not timing it).

I’ve had numerous hot hatches (and motorbikes) in my 49 years and done track days, Nurburgring etc. and the last time I used a forum was the Renault Cliosport forum when I had a fab Clio 172 Cup which is probably the best FWD car I’ve driven in terms of performance and handling but it completely lacked refinement/kit/build quality but was similarly ‘sleeper’ looking, anyway enough about my petrolhead history (I do find it’s relevant though to give some context).

Further pros: build quality obvs, other Polo GTis owners I see always say hi which I wasn’t expecting and find fun and friendly which is why I decided to join the forum.

Cons: no cruise - (unless I’m doing something wrong) Safety system cuts in which can get really annoying- my 5-8 mile commute involves some fairly gnarly single track roads/bridges and just after a week it engaged the brakes against my will which I was not impressed with which leads to a further con - you can’t leave it permanently switched off - unless I’m mistaken?

Verdict: best all round hot hatch I’ve driven, I know the Golf R blah, blah but for me they are all getting a bit too big. For me this Polo GTi is a smaller/better Golf GTi
Attachments
4052B352-A8B6-4C0E-9CCB-031ACBBFB31A.jpeg
Slider09
Getting There!
Drives: 2015 Polo 1.2 SE

Post by Slider09 »

Girls car [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PoloLeaseLove
New
Drives: GTi

Post by PoloLeaseLove »

Slider09 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:11 pm Girls car [emoji23]

Wow! How insightful and by that I mean misogynistic and ignorant. Thanks Slider09.

SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

PoloLeaseLove wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:37 pm
Slider09 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:11 pm Girls car [emoji23]

Wow! How insightful and by that I mean misogynistic and ignorant. Thanks Slider09.

Good to hear you’re enjoying your GTI @PoloLeaseLove. Re. cruise control - If your car is the ‘non-plus’ GTI, then it doesn’t have cruise control. As for Front Assist, you can’t switch it off permanently - it needs to be deactivated each journey.
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

PoloLeaseLove wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:28 pm Did I say quick? I mean wow! once the wheels are turning - so overtaking and motorway this thing is quick & quick off the mark too in the dry - deffo 6 seconds to sixty (no I’m not timing it).
I can confirm it's quick and managed a 0-60mph in 6.1 seconds with launch control, an extra passenger, 18inch wheels and MPS4 tyres. I'm pretty sure a 6 second flat is achievable given the right conditions.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

l3rady wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:07 pm
PoloLeaseLove wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:28 pm Did I say quick? I mean wow! once the wheels are turning - so overtaking and motorway this thing is quick & quick off the mark too in the dry - deffo 6 seconds to sixty (no I’m not timing it).
I can confirm it's quick and managed a 0-60mph in 6.1 seconds with launch control, an extra passenger, 18inch wheels and MPS4 tyres. I'm pretty sure a 6 second flat is achievable given the right conditions.
Is that 0-60 in 6.1 or 0-62 (100kmph) as per official measures in 6.1?

The MPS4 tyres will certainly help with that, but I doubt the official times were done on the stock Bridgestone Turanzas - the review/press cars on 18" Brescias with identifiable tyres were on Michelins.

Mine's just ticked over to 9k miles and it's far more eager with those miles on. Had the PS4s on for 5k miles now - I may have to rotate the wheels soon to even out the wear.
JMiddo94
New
Drives: 2019 GTI

Post by JMiddo94 »

Re the front assist, there is an option in the settings to turn the sensitivity down, mine is set on medium and instead of coming on 3/4 times a journey it's activated 3/4 times in 6 months.
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:39 pm Is that 0-60 in 6.1 or 0-62 (100kmph) as per official measures in 6.1?
0-60mph in 6.1seconds. Nowhere near here that I can do 0-62mph without breaking the speed limit :lol:

Oficial, if I'm not mistaken, is 6.9 seconds 0-62mph (100kmph) and I have seen many reviews get that down to 6.5 comfortably.

My 6.1, I won't argue that it was scientific in nature and that it should be taken with a pinch of salt.
Slider09
Getting There!
Drives: 2015 Polo 1.2 SE

Post by Slider09 »

l3rady wrote:
How was this 6.1 secs timed?

monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

l3rady wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:41 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:39 pm Is that 0-60 in 6.1 or 0-62 (100kmph) as per official measures in 6.1?
0-60mph in 6.1seconds. Nowhere near here that I can do 0-62mph without breaking the speed limit :lol:

Oficial, if I'm not mistaken, is 6.9 seconds 0-62mph (100kmph) and I have seen many reviews get that down to 6.5 comfortably.

My 6.1, I won't argue that it was scientific in nature and that it should be taken with a pinch of salt.
Officially it's 6.7s (or at least is for pre PPF/OPF) 0-62, I'm guessing that's the equivalent of 0-60 in about 6.4s, so beating that 6.4 by 0.3s isn't beyond the realms of likelihood. Just making sure we were comparing apples with apples by clarifying 0-60 or 0-62.