GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by Griff74 »

johnpolo2 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:30 am Can the rear indicator bulbs be replaced with LEDs, has anyone done it?
I prefer the 'clipped' on/off with LED.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I tried the LED bulbs I had in my Leon in my Polo and they caused a bulb out warning after about 4 flashes, they never caused one in the Leon (they are canbus safe ones), seems the Polo is over sensitive to them, I know others on here have tried with the same results.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Cheers. I did wonder.

SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

johnpolo2 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:00 pm Looking at the lighting unit in the front bumper I have realised that the led looking lights that function as drl's on lower spec models have absolutely no function on a GTI. I had hoped that they were led cornering lights.

The outer section of the light units in the lower front bumper on the GTI+ are just dummy lenses. The front fog lights double up as cornering lights - seen at 1m42s and 1m51s in the video at the link below; not a GTI+ but an R-Line with optional LED headlamps fitted, so front lighting is the same as the GTI+.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nHVZNlhKTvo
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:40 pm The GTI+ is better specced than the GTI and the SEL. Unsurprising as it's the range topper.

The GTI (non+) is pretty sparse and doesn't seem to sell well vs GTI+ if the owners here are a representative sample of sales in general.

As the DRLs are already in the LED headlight unit on the GTI+, there's no need for more.

The 2 lights in the lower bumper (one either side) are halogen foglights on the GTI+. Bright white LED light doesn't penetrate fog as well as yellow tinged halogen light, which is why the manufacturers don't fit LED foglights.

Not sure if they function as cornering lights.
The SEL and GTI+ will be aimed at different types of owner / driver who’ll have different priorities on what features are important to them or ‘must haves’ in a car. So not surprisingly, there will always be spec differences between the comfort-focused luxury model and the performance model in a car range.

Agree that most cars don’t have LED front fog lights, although interestingly the fog lights in the current Golf GT, GTI / GTD and GTE models ‘incorporate LED technology’ (VW’s term) which presumably means they’re LED. They certainly emit a very white light, based on the Golfs I’ve seen with these fitted.

I’d happily do without front fog lights. I think in the (nearly) 3.5 years I’ve owned my car, I’ve only ever used them 2-3 times.
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

In reference to the fog lights though I have to say my Polo GTi was the easiest car I have ever changed the bulbs on, about 30 seconds each side for Philips White Vision ones, not as white as the LED headlights but a hell of a lot better than the yellow standard bulbs. These bulbs I actually bought for my Leon but it is such a hard job to change them on the Leon (pre-facelift, facelift ones have LED fogs), esp ones with the winter pack like mine had due to the huge washer fluid tank, that I never changed them! :D
johnpolo2
Gold Member

Post by johnpolo2 »

SRGTD- Yes, I had a friend observe my car as I did various manoeuvres. He noted the dual purpose fog/cornering lights. It was to determine whether the lower lenses worked as cornering lights and discovered that they were probably dummy.
(Thought I'd mention it just in case I actually had a malfunction of some description.)

Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

If Iam right I posted photo somewhere few months back with all light on and as you said one of the lens in main light is dummy :mrgreen: I guess they would look empty without them :-)
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Griff74 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:41 pm
silverhairs wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:17 pm People purchasing a GTI, think it will be better spec'd than the normal run of the mill Polo. When (apart from the engine) they are poorly spec'd.
The SEL is better spec'd than the GTI.
Engine, gearbox, suspension, brakes, front and rear bumper, rear spoiler and side skirts, wheels, sport seats etc, ie all the normal stuff the sport models of a car range have. Then there's the plus model with load of kit over the standard GTi.
Does the GTI have the "climatronic " control, where the passenger can have a different temperature control to the driver, or does it just have the basic air-con? I'd rather have the "climatronic" control than a rear spoiler or side skirts. I'd rather have control of the temperature inside the car for comfort, more than looks on the outside. You forgot, you have a GTI badge on the boot, instead of just Polo

Then you mention the GTI+ over the GTI, I would hope it does have more refinements, but you pay for them, the GTI+ is the top of the range and should have everything as standard, for example, does it have a sun roof, does the GTI+ have another 20 - 30 BHP?
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Dark_cze wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:08 am If Iam right I posted photo somewhere few months back with all light on and as you said one of the lens in main light is dummy :mrgreen: I guess they would look empty without them :-)
They might look empty, and a specific GTI+ front fog light unit would probably mean additional production costs for VW in having to produce an additional version of the lower bumper light units. It might also mean a revised lower front grille for the GTI+ to accommodate it, further adding to production costs.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

silverhairs wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:06 pm
Griff74 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:41 pm
silverhairs wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:17 pm People purchasing a GTI, think it will be better spec'd than the normal run of the mill Polo. When (apart from the engine) they are poorly spec'd.
The SEL is better spec'd than the GTI.
Engine, gearbox, suspension, brakes, front and rear bumper, rear spoiler and side skirts, wheels, sport seats etc, ie all the normal stuff the sport models of a car range have. Then there's the plus model with load of kit over the standard GTi.
Does the GTI have the "climatronic " control, where the passenger can have a different temperature control to the driver, or does it just have the basic air-con? I'd rather have the "climatronic" control than a rear spoiler or side skirts. I'd rather have control of the temperature inside the car for comfort, more than looks on the outside. You forgot, you have a GTI badge on the boot, instead of just Polo

Then you mention the GTI+ over the GTI, I would hope it does have more refinements, but you pay for them, the GTI+ is the top of the range and should have everything as standard, for example, does it have a sun roof, does the GTI+ have another 20 - 30 BHP?
No, it has manual air con and I’m pretty certain you’re aware of this so why ask? But then does the SEL have DSG as standard and steering wheel mounted gear shift paddles?

As mentioned in my earlier post;
SRGTD wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:17 am The SEL and GTI+ will be aimed at different types of owner / driver who’ll have different priorities on what features are important to them or ‘must haves’ in a car. So not surprisingly, there will always be spec differences between the comfort-focused luxury model and the performance model in a car range.
Many car manufacturers’ top of the range models won’t have everything available as standard. Some features will be extra cost options giving the customer a choice - even on top of the range models. The GTI or GTI+ don’t have a sunroof but the option is available to those who want one. I personally wouldn’t want a sunroof so not having one wouldn’t be a hardship as I could keep cool by using the manual air con - or if I was fortunate enough to have a SEL, dual zone climate control 😂.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

I wouldn't buy a SEL over a GTI to avoid having to spec and pay for dual zone aircon if I wanted it. GTI+ has plenty of standard spec I'd rather not be without - I wouldn't want to be without auto lights / wipers / antidazzle rear view mirror / aircon on any car. On a performance car, I expect big wheels, big brakes, decent performance. LED or Xenon lights always something I aim to get too.

Sunroof is definitely not something I'd expect to have as standard on any car in the Polo range, and not something I'd look to spec either - adds to the greenhouse effect of car glazing, increases drag and wind noise when it's open, likely cause of rattles in future, will be hot on my baldy shaved head. For me it's pointless, but for someone else it will be worth it to them.

VW put standard spec out based on what is expected for the type of variant they're selling, and then price accordingly. Surprised they haven't done more packs and fewer individual options to keep the number of variants down that require WLTP testing.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Boy, the GTI mafia are having a field day, having a pop at me, the next thing the moderator will be inundated with my posts, from GTI & GTI+ members?
Only last week, I took my mates GTI+ out for a drive. Yes I must admit, it goes like Joe S**t, but apart from that, I might as well been sitting in my Polo SEL 115 DSG. To be completely honest the sun don't shine out of either the GTI or the GTI+ exhaust for me, the 115 BHP is adequate for my needs.
I'm not a boy racer, who's looking to chip my motor, or to change the tyres so I don't get tyre tramp. Yes I have changed the headlight bulbs for a better light output, but that's about it
As for the "brakes" my 115 BHP has discs all round where as the 90 BHP has drums on the rear, so I would expect the GTI & GTI+ have better brakes to reduce speed from a 200 BHP car, it really makes sense.
The thing is, when you get into traffic, your 200 BHP car is no faster than my 115 BHP car or a fiat 500, and the way roads are getting more congested, we'll soon be on equal terms, but at least I and other road users will be able to pick you out by your side skirts and rear spoiler as we're both parked in traffic jams.
I've just found out another neighbour is getting tomorrow a GTI+, so in one small cul-de-sac there is one Polo SEL and two GTI+'s. their becoming quite common around here

The Pol GTI & GTI+ is not the be all or end all of cars, sorry if you do not agree with me? The Polo is a nice car, but the 200 BHP engine is not for me !!
johnpolo2
Gold Member

Post by johnpolo2 »

On the 6C the remote would open the windows and fully retract the roof all at the same time.
On the new model it just tilts the roof, unlocks car and unfolds mirrors.

monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

I'm definitely enjoying the drive in my Polo GTI+ more than I did in my Golf R, which was much quicker off the line (4WD traction) and moderately quicker on the move (nowhere near the difference you would imagine), but lacking involvement because it is so composed it's sterile.

Now the Golf GTI is a £30k car and who knows how much for the upcoming MK8 will be. The almost same size Polo GTI+ bristling with new tech, as well put together and almost as well specced makes the Golf GTI look very expensive. It's one of the best value for money hot hatches out there right now. There's a reason they're selling like hot cakes.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnpolo2
Gold Member

Post by johnpolo2 »

Just to add it would be boring if we all liked the same thing.
I enjoy my GTI, always had one.Could have better but it does me. I have no intention of chipping it, wrapping it, detailing it, changing the tyres, or morphing into a boy racer.