GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by monkeyhanger »

I'm sure those led strips will disappear on the next round of cutting back spec for the things VW think we wont notice - they've been doing it incrementally with the Golf over the past 3 years. MY19 Golf is about to lose chrome switches.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I did well on my commute home tonight - back in individual mode (Sport everything except normal suspension and Eco engine noise) and did 38.5mpg. Conditions were very similar to this morning in terms of congestion and ability to put my foot down. For me then, i'd rather be driving a GTI whicb responds like a GTI when there's only 2mpg to be saved on my commute.

Given how quickly and sesmlessly the car went between coasting and in gear, i'm surprised it isn't implemented in other modes.

Should be ready to fill the car for the 2nd time on Friday, will try RON99 just to satisfy curiosity. I'm not expecting a difference because I don't think the GTI is set up to compress higher octane fuels any differently to regular 95RON unleaded for more power or fuel economy. At Costco it's 6p a litre more, but if it gives 2mpg more, the difference has paid for itself. I will give it a go.
Robint
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 polo GTI

Post by Robint »

I run my GTI on shell optimax all my cars are smoother but I don’t see any other differences

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Robint wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:21 pm I run my GTI on shell optimax all my cars are smoother but I don’t see any other differences

Have you always ran it on Optimax? If not, how do you know the difference? Just wondering if you've used both to quantify the difference.
Robint
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 polo GTI

Post by Robint »

I have had both in it and find it smoother on slow take off as was my Peugeot 208 GTI

barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

I am trying to get a display showing average mpg for a journey but also instantaneous mpg . Is this possible , my VW UP could do it?
Not interested in the time of the journey which shows on all mpg type displays.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

barrywi wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:53 pm I am trying to get a display showing average mpg for a journey but also instantaneous mpg . Is this possible , my VW UP could do it?
Not interested in the time of the journey which shows on all mpg type displays.
Without messing in any customiseable display settings, I can get both of these but not at the same time. I always leave drivers info between the virtual dials, which gives you trip mpg. Instant mpg is pretty useless as a stat - you see dome crazy high and low numbers that mean nothing on their own.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

I had a Peugeot that I could get instant MPG reading, on over run it could go above 100 MPG, I found that very handy to know :roll:
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Permission to disagree a bit?
It is not a figure that is always of use I agree, but to me it is of more use than the figure that gives you the time of your journey. I can get that from my watch. If I set the car on cruise I do find it interesting( not necessarily important ) to look at on a boring motorway journey to see the difference a few mph extra on a constant speed makes to mpg.
All I was asking was how do I see that figure , which is my decision, and is not clear in the menus.
So can anyone tell me how to see it please?
I note that neither of the previous posters actually owns a Polo Gti, so menus on other cars could be different.
jylydesign
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+ on order

Post by jylydesign »

barrywi wrote:Permission to disagree a bit?
It is not a figure that is always of use I agree, but to me it is of more use than the figure that gives you the time of your journey. I can get that from my watch. If I set the car on cruise I do find it interesting( not necessarily important ) to look at on a boring motorway journey to see the difference a few mph extra on a constant speed makes to mpg.
All I was asking was how do I see that figure , which is my decision, and is not clear in the menus.
I note that neither of the previous posters actually owns a Polo Gti, so menus on other cars could be different.
Barry you can set various functions to show in the middle of the dials on the active info. See photo below. I can show av mpg since start and the inst. Mpg in the middle. Go to Car>selection>active info display> and select what you want to view in either dial. Image

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Just did my 2nd proper fill-up, and as RON99 Super was only 3p a litre more than standard RON95, it seemed rude not to try it to see if a difference can be seen in mpg or felt in smoothness/performance. I suspect not, as VW aren't recommending RON99 like they do with the Golf R.

I got my best mpg on my commute yet today (just prior to fill-up) and it was my least restrained (lots of people off on a Friday it seems) - 41.5mpg. There seemed to be little or no penalty for an 80mph motorway cruise (about 4 miles of my 12 mile journey) as opposed to being stuck at 60mph. My indicated mpg for the whole tank was 36.3, actuals, worked out from fill volume and 307 miles done on that tank was 35.3mpg. 307 miles was 3 miles beyond zero range left.
jylydesign
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+ on order

Post by jylydesign »

I have time to show you this because I am currently broken down waiting for roadside assistance! 300 miles on the clock suddenly 5 warning lights came on and I have lost power steering, and there is a clonking from one of the rear wheels! Absolutely fantastic. Image

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

See what happens when you customise your menus? Barry - better leave yours alone!

Seriously though. Most of thoselook unconnected, but likely share same controller module, so all flash up for 1 issue.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

My Jag has lots of interconnected computers and one of the methods of sorting it out is to disconnect the battery, leave for a few minutes, and try again. Nothing to lose by trying if you have the right sized spanner!
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

jylydesign wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:49 am
barrywi wrote:Permission to disagree a bit?
Barry you can set various functions to show in the middle of the dials on the active info. See photo below. I can show av mpg since start and the inst. Mpg in the middle. Go to Car>selection>active info display> and select what you want to view in either dial. Image

Thanks very much it is so much easier than wading through the handbook.