GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
EmiLiuZ
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 2,0 DSG

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by EmiLiuZ »

I mainly drive in the city and it's not that economical there even if you're trying hard :D
Robint
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 polo GTI

Post by Robint »

Around town and short runs I get about 34 mpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:44 pm I did mean 2/3 claimed range. VW claim 48mpg for the GTI. I can get 45mpg on an 80mph 90 mile motorway run and generally get 33-37mpg on my 12 mile commute depending on traffic, so worst case in heavy traffic 2/3 claimed mpg, best caseover 90% claimed.
So the same as electric cars then, so why pick on their claimed range as being unrealistic when it's exactly the same? :?
Some EV owners get fantastic range, I didn't because I didn't need to worry about range and floored it everywhere
It was driven far harden than the Polo because using the performance was fun and easy.
As for economy 7 meters, plenty of owners have got them - I don't know the ins and outs of how - I didn't investigate it because I benefited from free public charging so much.
I truly find it baffling that anyone doing 80 miles per day, in this day and age, isn't seriously considering an electric car....aside from the money savings, they must love visiting petrol stations! :?
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:02 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:44 pm I did mean 2/3 claimed range. VW claim 48mpg for the GTI. I can get 45mpg on an 80mph 90 mile motorway run and generally get 33-37mpg on my 12 mile commute depending on traffic, so worst case in heavy traffic 2/3 claimed mpg, best caseover 90% claimed.
So the same as electric cars then, so why pick on their claimed range as being unrealistic when it's exactly the same? :?
Some EV owners get fantastic range, I didn't because I didn't need to worry about range and floored it everywhere
It was driven far harden than the Polo because using the performance was fun and easy.
As for economy 7 meters, plenty of owners have got them - I don't know the ins and outs of how - I didn't investigate it because I benefited from free public charging so much.
I truly find it baffling that anyone doing 80 miles per day, in this day and age, isn't seriously considering an electric car....aside from the money savings, they must love visiting petrol stations! :?
The difference between petrol/diesel and electric is that in the best circumstances you'll get 80% of claimed range in the Summer on the electric, and 65% in the Winter, and they're far worse at motorway speeds than petrol/diesel. If you're doing 80 miles a day you're likely doing motorway/dual carriageway speed for much of your commute. At those speeds, the petrol/diesel is likely to be performing at it's best and achieving 90+% of claimed mpg. Petrol has less than a 5% mpg penalty for winter vs Summer, Diesel is 10%. Electric is about 25%.

High mileage = plenty of motorway miles = petrol/diesel working at their most economical = electric cars working at their least economical.

Economy7 tariffs are rarer than rocking horse sh!te, unless you live in a council flat where you'll need an 80m extension lead from your 4th floor living room window to reach your car. Everyone else relies on their 13-15p/kWh tariff to charge. A lot of these "free" charging points in and around Newcastle have become chargeable over the last 2 years, probably the same elsewhere as councils cut back on paying for "free" electricity when the eco grants quietly stop being funded centrally.

Electric cars suit congested city traffic, not motorway miles, but the city traffic low mileage fuel savings are middling and don't stack up against the additional cost of the vehicle.

If I was doing 80 miles a day, I'd be car sharing (if available) or driving a Golf GTD to get a realistic 65mpg to maintain 75mph on the motorway.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Mon May 27, 2019 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Economy 10 tariffs also exist, though provided by a very small number of suppliers. Lunchtime/Afternoon, evening, night charging period.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:00 am Electric cars suit congested city traffic, not motorway miles, but the city traffic low mileage fuel savings are middling and don't stack up against the additional cost of the vehicle.
I both disagree and agree with this statement.
Starting with the agree point, I agree those doing low miles aren't going to see significant savings over an ICE, so it comes down to saving money on congestion charges, or just not wanting to drive a car that produces street level pollution.
I disagree that electric cars suit town driving and not motorway miles, though.
They cruise at 70mph just like any car and battery life isn't hugely affected by it at all - stick them on cruise control and you'll use very little.
Many EV owners commute long distances perfectly easily and they are the ones reaping the benefits, many saying the fuel savings alone almost (or actually do) pay for the cars.
You also have the convenience factor, in that you're going straight home and not having to go to petrol stations ever again.
A Polo Gti owner doing 80 miles per day must be visiting petrol stations every third day....what a hassle. :shock:
Last edited by Andy Beats on Mon May 27, 2019 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:11 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:00 am Electric cars suit congested city traffic, not motorway miles, but the city traffic low mileage fuel savings are middling and don't stack up against the additional cost of the vehicle.
I both disagree and agree with this statement.
Starting with the agree point, I agree those doing low miles aren't going to see significant savings over an ICE, so it comes down to saving money on congestion charges, or just not wanting to drive a car that produces street level pollution.
I disagree that electric cars suit town driving and not motorway miles, though.
They cruise at 70mph just like any car and battery life isn't hugely affected by it at all - stick them on cruise control and you'll use very little.
Many EV owners commute long distances perfectly easily and they are the ones reaping the benefits, many saying the fuel savings alone almost (or actually do) pay for the cars.
You also have the convenience factor, in that you're going straight home and not having to go to petrol stations ever again.
A Polo Gti owner doing 80 miles per day must be visiting petrol stations every third day....what a hassle.
A Polo GTI owner doing 80 miles a day (mainly on motorway/dual carriageway is going to be getting 50mpg if they're careful or 43mpg if they don't care about fuel economy. 350-400 mile range.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:45 am A Polo GTI owner doing 80 miles a day (mainly on motorway/dual carriageway is going to be getting 50mpg if they're careful or 43mpg if they don't care about fuel economy. 350-400 mile range.
Does the Gti have a larger tank?
Best range I see in mine is around 340 miles.
Which means if doing 80 miles per day, you're looking at refilling every 4th day.
Maybe every third if you don't want to be running low on the fourth.
jylydesign
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+ on order

Post by jylydesign »

My aircon smells musty for a while when I first start up. Anyone else experienced this?

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk

Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:58 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:45 am A Polo GTI owner doing 80 miles a day (mainly on motorway/dual carriageway is going to be getting 50mpg if they're careful or 43mpg if they don't care about fuel economy. 350-400 mile range.
Which means if doing 80 miles per day, you're looking at refilling every 4th day.
No it does not. Gti have same 40L tank and my range is around 450km to 500km (computer show around 530km +-20)
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:58 am
If I was doing 80 miles a day (40 miles each way) on a commute and religiously stuck to 70mph on the dual carriageway/motorway, I could get 48-50mpg from my GTI. 40l is nigh on 9 Gallons, let's say 8 gallons to the "fill up" light rather than almost run it dry - that's 384 miles. You could crack 400 if feeling brave (400/80 = 5 days).

To York and back and then a week of normal commute and other localish driving, I've had 345 miles out of a tank (180 miles @ 45mpg, and the rest averaging 35mpg). Without driving longer distances than my 12 mile each way commute I get around 300 miles to a tank.
mackimudo
New
Drives: MK10 GTI+

Post by mackimudo »

Picked up my GTI+ on Saturday, got it pre-reg with 8mi on the clock and so far I’ve done 450 myself. This is my first ‘performance’ car in any respect and the difference is unbelievable - took my step-dad (who drives an S5) out for a spin and he was astonished at how quick the car is even in comparison to his own daily motor.

The AID is great, there’s so many options and settings I’ve definitely not even scratched the surface of what I can set up with it.

Definitely going to replace the Bridgestones when I can as the tramping is pretty noticeable but otherwise I’m really in love - phenomenal car.Image
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Have fun & enjoy, not at all difficult with a GTi....
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

jylydesign wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:14 am My aircon smells musty for a while when I first start up. Anyone else experienced this?

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk
I first heard of this about 10/12 years back and its still a thing. Many a forum here in South Africa on that same topic. No solution afaik.
New-gti-guy
New
Drives: 1.6

Post by New-gti-guy »

Been driving my GTI for few days and covered around 400 miles. Mostly around town and i am averaging 34-35mpg
I have to say that's pretty amazing especially compared to my previous car, a 2018 Ford focus 1.0l eco boost!!.. i used to average no more than 30mpg back then. Tons more power and fun, for less fuel. :D :D :D