GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by barrywi »

Not got mine yet but the few that have got theirs can post here with good and bad experiences about the GTI.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by monkeyhanger »

I don't think anyone in the country has one yet. Didn't they only start building GTIs for the UK market at BW20?

But then again, Velodine appears to be getting one.this Friday. One good think about the long transit, gives the paint time to cure/harden. Since the switchover to water-based paint, my last 2 VWs coming from Wolfsburg within 2 weeks of build completion got pretty much all of their stone chips in the first 2 months of ordering.

Not expecting any surprises with the Polo, good or bad - the engine, gearbox and most of the other kit is tried and tested tech. The only real unknown is whether it is a better/sharper drive than the Golf GTI. Doubtful unless the Polo does get multilink rear suspension rather than a torsion beam (that seems to not be the case for Polo GTI seen built for other markets, despite the wording in early official literature)
Velodyne1200
New
Drives: VW Polo GTI+

Post by Velodyne1200 »

Hi Guys,

I got a couple of photos of my new car at the dealership yesterday - it literally came of the back of a lorry.
IMG_20180522_142114.jpg
IMG_20180522_142103.jpg
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Velodyne1200 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:34 pm Hi Guys,

I got a couple of photos of my new car at the dealership yesterday - it literally came of the back of a lorry.IMG_20180522_142114.jpgIMG_20180522_142103.jpg
Looks good in White. I think that would be my colour choice. Not long to wait now!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Is that a GTI with no ACC or a GTI+?

just wondering if VW have hidden the delicate radar behind the VW front grille badge like facelifted Golf, or if it's still precariously placed in the lower grille like pre-facelift Golf 7?

Haven't seen a pic yet with an ACC on show, but unsure if i've always been looking at a GTI with no ACC optioned.

Only 1 thing wrong with the look of that, and that's the bonnet extension (painted upper part of front grille). Would've probably looked better with retaining black on all of the grille - affecting us all as it is the design, just looks a bit aftermarket.
Velodyne1200
New
Drives: VW Polo GTI+

Post by Velodyne1200 »

It is indeed a GTI+
Roll on Friday
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:51 pm Is that a GTI with no ACC or a GTI+?

just wondering if VW have hidden the delicate radar behind the VW front grille badge like facelifted Golf, or if it's still precariously placed in the lower grille like pre-facelift Golf 7?

Haven't seen a pic yet with an ACC on show, but unsure if i've always been looking at a GTI with no ACC optioned.
Radar is behind the VW grille badge on the new Polo, like it is on the mk7.5 Golf.
kerby
New
Drives: SE

Post by kerby »

Great looking car.

I just noticed on the VW Polo configurator only Flash Red, Pure White, Black Pearl, Limestone Grey, and Reef Blue are available paint options for the GTI. Has that always been the case? It seems quite limiting compared to the other trim levels.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

kerby wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 1:35 pm Great looking car.

I just noticed on the VW Polo configurator only Flash Red, Pure White, Black Pearl, Limestone Grey, and Reef Blue are available paint options for the GTI. Has that always been the case? It seems quite limiting compared to the other trim levels.
Yes, only five colour options for the GTI / GTI+ and it’s been like that since launch. The ‘free’ colour is Flash Red, which I prefer to the free colour for the rest of the Polo range (Urano Grey), but that’s just my opinion though!
Scott H
New
Drives: Fiesta ST3 and Polo GTI+ not so soon

Post by Scott H »

what's with the arch gap? that will go down right??

i've had enough with the process TBH, i'm very close to cancelling and ordering a new ST-3.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ That arch gap will go down a lot. It has not been prepped yet and the front shocks have transport pucks wedged up between shock tops and top mount bearings to stop the front end bouncing all over during shipping.

I'm an expert on this matter as I removed my own pucks on my MK7 Golf after collection after investigating a harsh ride - the dealership left a set in at PDI!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Colour choice is poor for the GTI. It would've been a toss up between Flash Red and Reflex Silver if the Silver had been available.

Not a fan of Limestone grey. In poor light it is a mean and moody grey (great!) and others it is more of a bronze/metallic wheat colour (yuck!). Love black cars, but it hides the grilles too much on a performance model. The red does reduce the impact of the red stripes a little, but it is my favourite of what is available and is free! Metallic paint is a con in terms of price vs cost. There's about £3 in it for the cost of a metallic paint vs a "solid" which also has a lacquer coat (my Dad used to work at Ford).
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

Talking about the front ACC being hidden I did not realise that the reversing camera is hidden behind the badge which flips up when reverse is selected, great idea to stop it getting mucked up like it does on the wife’s Ibiza.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ Just be careful not to pay too much attention to the camera and not enough to the pips/graphics when getting really close to an obstacle, things are closer than they appear. Seen lots of stories on the Golf forum of people hitting stuff after relying 100% on the camera, and one of my mates did. Always got by fine on front and back sensors. Mine is coming with the camera, but not something i'd spec myself on a fresh order.
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

Thanks for the heads up monkeyhanger will definitely let the wife know as she prefers camera to the sensors.