GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by S_94 »

Driving home from work tonight, was using ACC towards the end of my commute when a message popped up on the dash:

'FRONT ASSIST NOT AVAILABLE'

Had one amber warning triangle towards the left of the screen and two amber icons on the right of the screen. No idea why that happened.

Switched the engine off/on when I parked up and the message was gone. Anyone else had this before or know what caused it?
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

S_94 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:17 pm Driving home from work tonight, was using ACC towards the end of my commute when a message popped up on the dash:

Had one amber warning triangle towards the left of the screen and two amber icons on the right of the screen. No idea why that happened.

Switched the engine off/on when I parked up and the message was gone. Anyone else had this before or know what caused it?
Only had it when a bit of snow from the bonnet slid down and obscured it. Doesn't front assist also go when you turn off traction control?
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

S_94 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:17 pm Driving home from work tonight, was using ACC towards the end of my commute when a message popped up on the dash:

It's happened to me twice but without stopping to reset (engine off and back on) it eventually cleared and worked OK again.

Both times on a motorway near some roadworks where there is a long stretch of barriers close to the inside lane, in which I was in.

Either that or it loses sight of the car in front briefly.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I used to get it regularly on my Golf, for one spe ific scenario - coming northbound through the Tyne Tunnel. The road in there spirals upwards for about 1/2 a mile, the sensor used to get confused by detecting the wall of the tunnel to my right on the upward spiral and then clear when I emerged from the tunnel. Seems the system doesn't like really long bends. Have you been driving along a long tight bend when it happened?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

This morning my wife took my GTI+ (the red one, pre WLTP) because hers (the white one, with GPF) desperately needs filling up and I work close to our local Costco (where I usually fill up at the weekend).

As she drove off in it, I was surprised how good it actually sounded - it doesn't sound particularly good from inside the car with the windows up.

Driving hers, it seems perkier at the bottom end, like it has a more responsive initial throttle, but mine definitely has noticeably more poke through the gear and hers is almost 10% thirstier. Mine's just gone over 8k miles and hers is about 1200 miles.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:50 am I used to get it regularly on my Golf, for one spe ific scenario - coming northbound through the Tyne Tunnel. The road in there spirals upwards for about 1/2 a mile, the sensor used to get confused by detecting the wall of the tunnel to my right on the upward spiral and then clear when I emerged from the tunnel. Seems the system doesn't like really long bends. Have you been driving along a long tight bend when it happened?
I was actually on a straight road with a car not too far in front. Very odd.

Drove to Bristol today and had no problems whatsoever.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

jylydesign wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:00 am Cons
- irritating squeaky brakes when reversing
Hi, just wondering if you ever got your squeaky brakes sorted, if so, what was the cure please? Mine has been in and had them chamfered as I believe I read someone else had done, also ABS recalibrated last week, still squeak/groan in reverse! I am wondering if replacement pads would fix it?
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

MilgeS wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:40 pm
jylydesign wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:00 am Cons
- irritating squeaky brakes when reversing
Hi, just wondering if you ever got your squeaky brakes sorted, if so, what was the cure please? Mine has been in and had them chamfered as I believe I read someone else had done, also ABS recalibrated last week, still squeak/groan in reverse! I am wondering if replacement pads would fix it?
I had same problem but now at 16500km I don't hear it anymore. It just disapeared :)
Moots
New
Drives: Golf mk7.5 GTI

Post by Moots »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:56 pm This morning my wife took my GTI+ (the red one, pre WLTP) because hers (the white one, with GPF) desperately needs filling up and I work close to our local Costco (where I usually fill up at the weekend).

As she drove off in it, I was surprised how good it actually sounded - it doesn't sound particularly good from inside the car with the windows up.

Driving hers, it seems perkier at the bottom end, like it has a more responsive initial throttle, but mine definitely has noticeably more poke through the gear and hers is almost 10% thirstier. Mine's just gone over 8k miles and hers is about 1200 miles.
First thing i noticed about the Polo GTI plus i test drove was how good it sounded. My golf GTI doesn't sound good at all, but the polo sounded great.
Nora
Bronze Member
Drives: A polo

Post by Nora »

Had a recent situation with the reversing camera, when reverse was selected the camera didn’t pop up and all that was displayed on the black screen was the red and green lines.
A quick inspection and moving the tailgate emblem and opening the boot seemed to free it up and it worked.
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

Do you use the reverse camera much?
It's such a small car that it really doesn't seem necessary.
Visibility all round is fine.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

peeceeuk wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:06 am Do you use the reverse camera much?
I’ve got the reversing camera on my previous generation Polo GTI. It’s an even smaller car than the current Polo, but I do find the reversing camera useful as I have long term chronic back and neck problems. Turning to look out of the rear window when reversing is sometimes quite painful and the reversing camera helps a lot during periods of chronic pain and reduced mobility.

It was a cheap option too; only £25 as part of a bundled options pack when I bought my car in 2016.
gegege
New
Drives: polo GTI 2019

Post by gegege »

It is very use full - especially when you are parking in a narrow spots and do not want to bump your car into another car.
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

Never had one until my recent car and find it very useful for reversing onto my driveway. My driveway has raised concrete tracks for the wheels with pea-gravel either side. With the reversing camera, I can much better line myself onto the tracks, without slipping off the tracks and potentially damaging the inside/outside of my wheels. Also with the camera, I can see the ground behind knowing when to stop where the tracks end. While not a necessity it certainly is convenient and helps with certain manoeuvres.
Nora
Bronze Member
Drives: A polo

Post by Nora »

Tbh there are extras on the car that I don’t really need inc the camera, the others are:
self parking (not used it yet)
Pre crash
Blind spot indicator on the mirrors
However as I’ve never had any of these on previous cars, I’m warming to the camera, and the collision warning has kicked in a couple of times