GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by johnpolo2 »

Had that once with my old 6C. Drove tech guy around.. no problem as I'd reported, dropped him off and on the way home it started again.
Was tempted to pull over and beat the car with a large branch in a Basil Fawlty type of way. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

The joke usually goes 'waiter there's a fly in my soup...' However annoyingly I have noticed a very small white one in my headlight unit, South African in origin? Its squished one inch or so down from the top and has made a halo type mark visible along with the body against the dark background.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:30 pm First time I've owned an auto too, but given a choice, I'd have opted to a manual. DSG can only anticipate your wishes so far, I do still find it not doing what I want on occasion, usually wanting to accelerate hard from 45 when the car's in 6th. Going 6th to 3rd directly in a manual is a hell of a lot quicker than the DSG box can do it. DSG seems to feather in the gear change, making it effectively quite slow to be in full engagement to accelerate. It's less hard work in stop-start traffic - the main advantage for me.

Previous experience of driving my dad's DSG Golfs vs my manual ones, DSG is about 10% thirstier like for like.

I don't hate it, but given the choice, I'd still pick manual.

Comparing our old (8k miles, 11 months old, no GPF) and new (1k miles, 6 weeks old, GPF) Polo GTI+, the old one is noticeably quicker (most noticeable in 3rd gear acceleration) and about 5% more fuel efficient. I hope that's longer term running in gains for the newer car's sake.
Do you use the DSG box in Manual mode? I must admit that I rarely use the paddles but when I want extra control I shift the stick to the left and select gears maually.

In terms of fuel consumtion, my car appears to be improving. I've had it a year tomorrow with around 13K on the clock. I'm now regularly seeing high 40s early 50s on my commute and my long term average MPG is increasing. Currenlty around 45.5 mpg. I'd say 5% would be about right.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

roywolfey wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:17 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:30 pm First time I've owned an auto too, but given a choice, I'd have opted to a manual. DSG can only anticipate your wishes so far, I do still find it not doing what I want on occasion, usually wanting to accelerate hard from 45 when the car's in 6th. Going 6th to 3rd directly in a manual is a hell of a lot quicker than the DSG box can do it. DSG seems to feather in the gear change, making it effectively quite slow to be in full engagement to accelerate. It's less hard work in stop-start traffic - the main advantage for me.

Previous experience of driving my dad's DSG Golfs vs my manual ones, DSG is about 10% thirstier like for like.

Comparing our old (8k miles, 11 months old, no GPF) and new (1k miles, 6 weeks old, GPF) Polo GTI+, the old one is noticeably quicker (most noticeable in 3rd gear acceleration) and about 5% more fuel efficient. I hope that's longer term running in gains for the newer car's sake.
Do you use the DSG box in Manual mode? I must admit that I rarely use the paddles but when I want extra control I shift the stick to the left and select gears maually.

In terms of fuel consumtion, my car appears to be improving. I've had it a year tomorrow with around 13K on the clock. I'm now regularly seeing high 40s early 50s on my commute and my long term average MPG is increasing. Currenlty around 45.5 mpg. I'd say 5% would be about right.
I rarely use manual mode. I find it counter-intuitive to use, and you get lazy with the aitobox. I should persevere with it.

After always having manuals, sitting at 45 in 5th on a 70 road and that outside lane hogger doing 45 moves in a lane, slotting into manual mode and going 6>5>4>3 is slow and un-natural. It feels even more unnatural to pull down to go down (should be pull back to go up and push away from you to go down the gears.

I just wish you didn't have to slot over to manual to have the box respect your paddle inputs.

If I bury the throttle at 40, the car is going to pull 2nd out at the top of the rev range, even if I use paddles to say 3rd - very annoying.

When I do manual, I cannot get used to pushing away on the stick to change up, so I use stick for downshifts and paddle for up shifts.
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

I used manual again earlier to get out of a roundabout and for a run on a dual carriageway.
Paddles all the way, not into the stick shift.
When you want to drop to a gear to accelerate, it's pretty easy and immediately responsive without any auto interference.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

peeceeuk wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:31 pm I used manual again earlier to get out of a roundabout and for a run on a dual carriageway.
Paddles all the way, not into the stick shift.
When you want to drop to a gear to accelerate, it's pretty easy and immediately responsive without any auto interference.
When you say you used manual again, did you slot the stick over to manual and then use the paddles, or just use the paddles while in auto mode?

If you use paddles in auto mode, your throttle response can (and in my experience, usually does) override your manual paddle selection. If you're in 6th at 45mph and floor it, the car will drop to the high revs range of 2nd, even if you've asked for 4th via 2 presses of the left paddle. If you do the same with the stick over to manual then it will respect your wishes and give you full throttle in 4th.

The paddles are very awkward for use while doing anything other than driving straight ahead with no turning.

I also find 2nd to 1st clunky in manual mode when decelerating in slow moving traffic.
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

Yes, selected full manual by shoving the stick left.
I've become familiar with the car thinking it will do what it prefers over my choice if you don't.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:54 am
roywolfey wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:17 am

It feels even more unnatural to pull down to go down (should be pull back to go up and push away from you to go down the gears).
Like a Ford Powershift

I owned a Ford powershift and a VW DSG at the same time for a while and their up <> down shift directions were opposite to one another. Now that was confusing..
fletch555
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by fletch555 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:51 pm If you use paddles in auto mode, your throttle response can (and in my experience, usually does) override your manual paddle selection. If you're in 6th at 45mph and floor it, the car will drop to the high revs range of 2nd,
Just don't press the kick down button at the bottom of the accelerator pedal and it will stay in 6th.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

fletch555 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:16 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:51 pm If you use paddles in auto mode, your throttle response can (and in my experience, usually does) override your manual paddle selection. If you're in 6th at 45mph and floor it, the car will drop to the high revs range of 2nd,
Just don't press the kick down button at the bottom of the accelerator pedal and it will stay in 6th.
If you're in 6th at 45mph and give it 2/3 throttle, it will kick down in auto mode - it won't labour in 6th just because you haven't hit the clicky bit of pedal travel that kicks down or overrides normal/eco mode to give you full throttle response if you're not in Sport.

I just don't feel that the car should override your paddle intentions, but it does, relative to throttle input.
fletch555
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by fletch555 »

ah i see you're in auto mode but have overridden the gear selection...I don't tend to do that very often as I find it annoying when it changes back into auto mode before I want it to
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

fletch555 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:21 pm ah i see you're in auto mode but have overridden the gear selection...I don't tend to do that very often as I find it annoying when it changes back into auto mode before I want it to
It's more that the box instantly overrides the paddle inputs and decides how far to change down on throttle input. It that means changing down to 2nd for just the last few hundred rpm of the rev range before moving to 3rd.-a complete waste of.time being in 2nd for 1/2 a second, if that.
Clint
New
Drives: 2019 GTI

Post by Clint »

Appreciate this will have been asked somewhere else before, or be obvious... but what is the slot on the front of the DSG box actually supposed to be used for - if anything?
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Clint wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:27 pm Appreciate this will have been asked somewhere else before, or be obvious... but what is the slot on the front of the DSG box actually supposed to be used for - if anything?
I think it’s a card holder. The slot should be large enough to take a credit card sized card.

I used to work at a place that used a contactless card key entry/exit system to gain access to the staff car park, and the office buildings. It would’ve been great to have a slot like that in the car I owned at the time to keep my card key in for ready use to get into and out of the car park! 🙂

Some models of the previous generation Polo had two of the same type of slots higher up on the dashboard, above the infotainment unit. They were actually described as card slots in the Polo brochure at the time.

If you try fitting a card into the slot in your car, don’t let go of it, in case (a) it’s not a card holder (b) it’s deeper than the length of your card and your card disappears, never to return 😧.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

card fits nicely, it was my first thought :D slot is deep as half of the card.