GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by barrywi »

Jealous now and wish VW would let you get an owners handbook before you buy the car to get to know the features and how to change things.
I agree entirely about the VW App and the VW assistance on line . Tried to follow the ship that our car will be on but the nearest I got was them to say it was on one of two . The first one has just docked in Zeebrugge to drop off some Polos so hopefully when it gets to Emden on Monday I ought to be able to see whether it is on board or on the following ship which is now off the coast of Africa. VW must know where every car is so why they cannot tell customers I have no idea.
Some justice in them getting knocked out of the World Cup ( Germany , not VW) serves them right for treating customers badly!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Welcome to the forum Norn Iron and congratulations on taking delivery of your new GTI. What colour and spec did you go for?

Your mpg should inprove as you clock up the miles, although on short (10 mile) journeys you’ll be running with a cold engine for much of journey, which is never good for mpg. You should achieve. Better mpg figures on the long journey you’re planning on doing in the next few days.

I always read the manual when I get a new car. Maybe a bit sad, and not the most exciting read, but when I’ve spent a fair few £££’s on a new car, I like to know what I’ve got for my money and make use of the functions and features I’ve paid for.

Enjoy your new car, and I look forward to your future updates.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

NornIron:

The car will voast in eco mode, but no other mode, as is the case with the VW Golf and Passat.
Norn Iron
New
Drives: GTI 2018

Post by Norn Iron »

Thanks guys for your replies inc how to coast! It works.
We have added to the car just the light pack as optional extras. 17" wheels.
Launch Control? Select sport mode, turn off traction control, handbrake off, foot brake depressed and rev past 2000. It will then switch to launch control. Something to try on the M6 Fridays around tea time in Birmingham?!
Note the lack of red in headlamps!
Note the lack of red in headlamps!
IMG_20180628_172416.jpg
IMG_20180628_172450.jpg
paulrodgers7
Getting There!
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi + White/black roof

Post by paulrodgers7 »

The red looks amazing, thanks for posting the pics and hope you have many happy miles
PilotRoss91
New
Drives: '14 Fiesta ST - Polo GTI+ On Order

Post by PilotRoss91 »

I’m really looking forward to mine. Just a long wait, doubt I’ll see it this year to be honest. Anyone seen a Reef Blue GTI in person?
Poachersun
New
Drives: 2018 POLO GTI

Post by Poachersun »

PilotRoss91 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:59 pm I’m really looking forward to mine. Just a long wait, doubt I’ll see it this year to be honest. Anyone seen a Reef Blue GTI in person?
I haven't seen it in person i can't wait (4 months! :() I would say in NZ i will be the first and/or one of the few with Reef Blue, especially with the 18" mags as well, hopefully will help hold better value over the others.
Dealers have got their demo's but only get in Black and White (and i think there is a Red coming)

That Red does look nice for sure!
Alan Mc
New
Drives: 2018 polo GTI+ Limestone grey

Post by Alan Mc »

Well it had to happen to someone and that someone was me. My car has broken already. Dsg won’t engage drive or park. Couldn’t wait on the AA to come out this morning as I needed to leave for work. so will let you all know what happened and what is going on later tonight.
paulrodgers7
Getting There!
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi + White/black roof

Post by paulrodgers7 »

Aww man so sorry to hear that, I am sure you are absolutely gutted, I hope VW give you a suitable loan car to alleviate some of the annoyance!
rfu6g3
New
Drives: Polo GTi+ 2018 (Hopefully this year)

Post by rfu6g3 »

PilotRoss91 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:59 pm I’m really looking forward to mine. Just a long wait, doubt I’ll see it this year to be honest. Anyone seen a Reef Blue GTI in person?
Same here ordered mine 6th June but there estimating 30/11/2018 waiting for a call to say its been delayed. Not seen a reef blue yet not seen one in person yet just enjoying the pics everyone's putting up :)
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Norn Iron The GTI looks great in Flash Red, so glad I went against the wife's wishes for a metallic black one (it's officially her car but i'm paying for it and will probably drive it most of the time because I can't trush her not to scrape the alloys - if she has the Golf R to commute in then at least the wheels are painted, and she's scraped front nearside on both the A1 and R).

There was a youtube link to a black GTI on here and I was surprised how mean it didn't look, which was surprising.
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

I hate black cars!
I have only ever had one which was a pain . Clean for five minutes after it was washed ,but looked a mess afterwards. Soaks up the heat on hot days.
Also there are so many black cars on the roads which all look the same. Red for me.......when it comes.......eventually. :twisted:
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I’ve owned a number of black cars and they are a labour of love. They do take a lot of effort to keep them looking good, and you need to use a safe 2BM washing technique and get rid of the sponge and chamois leather(!), but IMO a well cared for black car, when clean, looks fantastic. As said though, they don’t stay looking that way for long.

Probably white for me next time.
Alan Mc
New
Drives: 2018 polo GTI+ Limestone grey

Post by Alan Mc »

Alan Mc wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:53 am Well it had to happen to someone and that someone was me. My car has broken already. Dsg won’t engage drive or park. Couldn’t wait on the AA to come out this morning as I needed to leave for work. so will let you all know what happened and what is going on later tonight.
So VW recovery chap come out and typically the fault wasn’t present. Despite me trying everything 30 min before he arrived and nothing. All very odd. The bloody thing would not move this morning or this afternoon and he gets in and hey presto it bloody moved. Never felt more stupid. He didn’t inderstand what it was

He did however find a mirror fault code and aid fault code so he fixed them. So all in all I’m £30 out of pocket in taxis and feel really stupid. I am no idiot the bloody thing would not move !!! 😂😂😂
Norn Iron
New
Drives: GTI 2018

Post by Norn Iron »

Sorry to hear your news Alan. It's like going to the GP only to find you're feeling better when you're in the waiting room!
Your car problem could well be a rogue computer chip which replaced the old 'deiselgate' one and it's programmed to wind you up by not starting. The chip then senses when there is a repairman near the car and reverts to normal. It has been deliberately programmed to go faulty when Germany gets knocked out of a World Cup. Therefore, it won't happen again for at least another 3 years and 51 weeks!
On a slightly more serious note, if I could change my spec it would be to have the start/stop button instead of keys. The reason? If you have any keys dangling from the key fob, they will rest against your knee cap. Annoying!