GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Polo monster
New
Drives: R Line DSG 115

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by Polo monster »

So, not had a great start to ownership of my GTi.
I bought a stock vehicle that had a good spec.
Ownership lasted 2hrs and 40 minutes before I was on the phone to the dealer with a snag list.
Paint defects, interior trim damage, tailgate not shutting, tyre not fitted correctly, steering alignment out, and passenger seat material fraying.
To cut a long story short I used my rights with consumers act 2015 and rejected the vehicle, when I buy something new, I expect it to be new. A warranty in my opinion is to correct faults that occur during ownership, not correct poor build quality and lack of care during build of a car on day 1 of ownership.
Car now back with dealer and they have been very understanding and helpful, albeit some of this could of been avoided with a better prep and PDI by them.
I really like the new polo (owned two of the Mk10 AW now), but both have had issues, the first polo only minor issues and I enjoyed a year with that one. This 2nd polo has left me with huge disappointment.
I’m wondering if I’m delusional to think 3rd time lucky?
I can walk away with a refund or order another one and wait for a factory build, as none suitable are in stock.
Taking back the Gti repaired would be out the question as it needs painting (various panels), new interior trims, a wheel, a tyre, new seat cover and adjustments, on car with 78 miles on it!
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Took my vehciel for its first 15K service today and while there the "associate" updated the software for the ABS to address the "mooing" but sad to say it didnt work, still moans like an old cow in reverse. Let's see'where it goes from here.Other than that all went fine, in and out within 1.5hrs.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Polo monster wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:29 am So, not had a great start to ownership of my GTi.
Ownership lasted 2hrs and 40 minutes before I was on the phone to the dealer with a snag list.
Paint defects, interior trim damage, tailgate not shutting, tyre not fitted correctly, steering alignment out, and passenger seat material fraying.
To cut a long story short I used my rights with consumers act 2015 and rejected the vehicle, when I buy something new, I expect it to be new. A warranty in my opinion is to correct faults that occur during ownership, not correct poor build quality and lack of care during build of a car on day 1 of ownership.
Car now back with dealer and they have been very understanding and helpful, albeit some of this could of been avoided with a better prep and PDI by them.
I really like the new polo (owned two of the Mk10 AW now), but both have had issues, the first polo only minor issues and I enjoyed a year with that one. This 2nd polo has left me with huge disappointment.
I can walk away with a refund or order another one and wait for a factory build, as none suitable are in stock.
Taking back the Gti repaired would be out the question as it needs painting (various panels), new interior trims, a wheel, a tyre, new seat cover and adjustments, on car with 78 miles on it!
If your not happy with it and you can get a refund, take it and run. If you want another Polo GTI do you really want to wait another 7 - 9 months for another pile of rubbish to reject? There's some good Jap cars out there.
monty831
New
Drives: 2019 GTI Plus

Post by monty831 »

Vonbek2004 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:19 pm Hey

Yes the boot latch is the same on my GTI+, you do have to apply a little more pressure than usual.

Haven't noticed the issue with the led on the passenger side.

Stuart..

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Thanks Stuart, I have taken the car in today for the boot to be checked
monty831
New
Drives: 2019 GTI Plus

Post by monty831 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:30 am
Vonbek2004 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:19 pm
monty831 wrote:I've had my GTI+ for a couple of weeks

It's a great car although still running it in so taking it easy at the moment

+ Great driving position and virtual cockpit
+ Love the LED lights at night time
+ Economy is very good, even with less than 500 miles on the clock

Few minor issues that I wondered if anyone can advise on?

- Closing the boot really requires a slam otherwise it seems to catch - is this normal?

- Interior light strip on dash seems dim on passenger side but bright from middle of car to drivers side - is this normal and can it be changed?

- There seems to be what can only be described as a metal/tinny sound coming from near drivers side speaker when driving with music on low - anyone had this?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
Hey

Yes the boot latch is the same on my GTI+, you do have to apply a little more pressure than usual.

Haven't noticed the issue with the led on the passenger side.

Stuart..

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Get the boot latch sorted quick. I thought that a stiff boot latch that required a slam was probably characteristic of the Polo. When I realised that I was getting micro chipping on the lower boot edge as it was contacting the inner lip of the rear bumper's boot lip, I knew something was up. The local garage confirmed that the latch was not set up right. VW UK wouldn't entertain a warranty claim because it was about 2 weeks after a 6 month "door adjustment" clause on the warranty had elapsed (I was unaware of such a clause). It is easy to identify - if your striker plate inside the boot lip is towards the rear of the trim cut out (as you look into the boot) rather than towards the front, it is incorrectly adjusted.

I sorted mine myself - easy adjustment with the surrounding trim pulled off, and I filled in my paint chips (which couldn't be seen with the boot lid closed).

Have a search through my posts around April/May/June this year and you'll find before and after pics.

A well adjusted boot should almost close itself under gravity from a horizontal boot lid position. It should not require a slam. Seems a common assembly error that PDI could easily pick up on and correct then relay back to the factory.

As for DSG - yes, it slips the clutch momentarily on up shifts and downshifts to smooth out the gear change and will frequently slip 2nd when decelerating to a stop in heavy traffic rather than engaging 1st gear then neutral.
Thanks mate, yes i have taken the car in today for the boot to be checked. Thanks for the heads up about the door adjustment clause

Edit: I found your post from June 7th, however the pictures dont load so I cant see the issue you describe
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Polo monster wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:29 am So, not had a great start to ownership of my GTi.
Jumping in a tad late; yeh I'd take the money and run. Maybe sit on it for a while (not literally) and look for something else possibly Japanese, I'm told you generally can't go too far wrong with a Honda. Ford & Vauxhall can be good value too, or if you really, really want a Polo (I know the feeling), maybe try another dealer, good luck whatever happens. And you're 100% right re: the warranty....
EduardoPuente
New

Post by EduardoPuente »

Hi all,
Took delivery of my GTI+ on Thursday: standard plus pearl black, what a great little car this is. Quality is good, performance is brilliant, cornering sharp.
The buying experience was fine, salesman could have been more knowledgable, but he was courteous and exposed most of the facts plainly.
As for faults, a couple of noticeable hairlines in the paint, and some polish residue, I will email seller about this.
Trip to Newcastle yesterday, satisfied with 36 mpg on heavy traffic. One instance where I had to pull into a gap... exhilarating!
Rosinfield
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 AW GTI

Post by Rosinfield »

Today I visited my neighbours a little east, to see what the recent remap does. See attachments. The performance monitor showed 200 Kw
Screenshot_20191110-091056.jpg
Screenshot_20191110-091154.jpg
brynteg73
New
Drives: Polo Gti+

Post by brynteg73 »

Been offered a nice GTi+ today in a part ex deal... the only issue i have with it is the alloy's are the standard 17" wheels .... just need persuading
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

Better ride than the bigger wheels?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

barrywi wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:39 pm Better ride than the bigger wheels?
17” tyres are likely to be cheaper too than 18” when the time comes to replace the tyres (would depend on brand of tyres chosen). The Michelin Primacy tyres that seem to be VW’s tyres of choice for the 17” Parker alloys don’t seem to get the same negative comments that the Bridgestone Turanza tyres do that are VW’s choice of tyres for the 18” Brescia alloys.

You can always replace the 17” Parker alloys if you find you dislike them, and then try and sell the Parker’s to help offset the cost of any new wheels you buy - and new tyres too if you go for 18” wheels.
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Post by phillos »

brynteg73 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:47 am Been offered a nice GTi+ today in a part ex deal... the only issue i have with it is the alloy's are the standard 17" wheels .... just need persuading
SRGTD wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:14 pm
barrywi wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:39 pm Better ride than the bigger wheels?
17” tyres are likely to be cheaper too than 18” when the time comes to replace the tyres (would depend on brand of tyres chosen). The Michelin Primacy tyres that seem to be VW’s tyres of choice for the 17” Parker alloys don’t seem to get the same negative comments that the Bridgestone Turanza tyres do that are VW’s choice of tyres for the 18” Brescia alloys.

You can always replace the 17” Parker alloys if you find you dislike them, and then try and sell the Parker’s to help offset the cost of any new wheels you buy - and new tyres too if you go for 18” wheels.
I was on the verge like you, but opted for the 17" wheels in the end + the Sport Select suspension (not standard fit in my market). I would personally go with the 17" and then maybe change them up down the road for some other 18" that you like.

17"
Pros: Cheaper tyres, better standard fit tyre (Michelin Primacys), nicer design (subjectively).
Cons: 17" size not as good looking as 18".

18"
Pros: 18" size looks good on the GTI
Cons: Ugly ass design (subjectively), expensive tyres, tramp-tendency standard fit tyres (Bridgestone Turanzas), harder to clean.
brynteg73
New
Drives: Polo Gti+

Post by brynteg73 »

Thanks for the reply’s , great help and I will decide later today , will search does loads of pics today now of the 17” on a white , the deal is a good one and for the sake of the alloys looks like I’m back in a Gti :P
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

I think whether you like one design of wheel over another is a personal thing . I prefer the looks of my Parkers to the 18 inch version but think the name is stupid. Of course there is a factor of thinking they look better because they cost more ,so if you opt for the 17 inch wheels others may think you are a cheapskate!
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Here is another picture
6C8385C0-78BF-4CEB-B250-E78C4EADA9D5.jpeg