GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by mike sel »

Norn Iron wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:10 pm Sorry to hear your news Alan. It's like going to the GP only to find you're feeling better when you're in the waiting room!
Your car problem could well be a rogue computer chip which replaced the old 'deiselgate' one and it's programmed to wind you up by not starting. The chip then senses when there is a repairman near the car and reverts to normal. It has been deliberately programmed to go faulty when Germany gets knocked out of a World Cup. Therefore, it won't happen again for at least another 3 years and 51 weeks!
On a slightly more serious note, if I could change my spec it would be to have the start/stop button instead of keys. The reason? If you have any keys dangling from the key fob, they will rest against your knee cap. Annoying!
Keyless is brilliant, I also worked out how to disable keyless, if I need to.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

Norn Iron wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:10 pm On a slightly more serious note, if I could change my spec it would be to have the start/stop button instead of keys. The reason? If you have any keys dangling from the key fob, they will rest against your knee cap. Annoying!
So it’s not just me. My keys dig into my knee cap and it can be quite unpleasant and at times painful.
Norn Iron
New
Drives: GTI 2018

Post by Norn Iron »

So where's the latch? Aha, there it is. Posh eh?!
Also, please note there are two bonnet hooks!
Attachments
IMG_20180629_173732.jpg
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ Wow, that's retro, a solid bonnet stay rather than a gas strut (bet the new Audi A1 gets a gas strut). It's not VW cost-cutting, it's weight saving!
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

Does it have heated washer jets? It looks like there is a cable into the bonnet. I know they dumped the headlamp washers but the heated jets would be useful, but obviously not at the moment with temperatures up to 30degrees !
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

barrywi wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:37 pm Does it have heated washer jets? It looks like there is a cable into the bonnet. I know they dumped the headlamp washers but the heated jets would be useful, but obviously not at the moment with temperatures up to 30degrees !
Ha ha! Yes, pretty difficult to test to see if the washer jets are heated in the current 30*c temperatures 😀. However, it’s worth bearing in mind that if the washer fluid concentration isn’t kept at an appropriate strength for winter use, then heated washer jets may be of limited value in freezing conditions.

If the washer fluid concentration is too low, having heated jets won’t stop the fluid from freezing in the washer fluid reservoir or in the flexible pipes connecting the washer fluid reservoir to the washer jets. If this happens, even with heated jets it wouldn’t be possible to wash the screen. Ensuring the washer fluid concentration is correct for the weather conditions is the most important thing IMO.

And............if the washer fluid is at the correct strength to stop It freezing it begs the question, are heated jets necessary?
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

OK I understand the logic of what you are saying but was just wanting to know if it had them. On the underbonnet picture you can see a wrapped up cable on the right going up to the underneath of the bonnet. You can see two black plastic pieces where the washers would be so thought they might be the heating elements. If someone could just see if a wire goes into those plastic bits it would confirm that the heaters are there.
The reason I want to know is that if they are not and headlamp washers are also not fitted( which we know they are not) I can ask the dealer for some compensation as they are both mentioned on my order. Just getting all my ammuntion ready!
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

barrywi wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:52 am OK I understand the logic of what you are saying but was just wanting to know if it had them. On the underbonnet picture you can see a wrapped up cable on the right going up to the underneath of the bonnet. You can see two black plastic pieces where the washers would be so thought they might be the heating elements. If someone could just see if a wire goes into those plastic bits it would confirm that the heaters are there.
The reason I want to know is that if they are not and headlamp washers are also not fitted( which we know they are not) I can ask the dealer for some compensation as they are both mentioned on my order. Just getting all my ammuntion ready!
Barry, agree you should ask the dealer for some form of compensation; mike sel got some, based on the winter pack content being less than it was advertised as.

The underbonnet photo of the GTI that Norn Iron posted earlier doesn’t have heated washer jets, as they confirmed in their post on page 8 of this thread the only extra they added was the Light Pack, so no winter pack on their GTI.

We need joeknight94 to come along as he has the winter pack on his GTI+. Hopefully he can answer your query on whether there’s any visible evidence that his car’s washer jets are heated.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Thanks for that I will wait in anticipation . Galaxy Ace has just docked in Emden two days early so I may be able to see if our car is on that by Monday..please VW get your ZX 81 plugged in!
joeknight94
New
Drives: Polo GTI+ DSG

Post by joeknight94 »

Would it be that cable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

That is the one which may contain the water tube for the washers and cables for the heaters?
MrLems
New
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by MrLems »

jbGTI wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:37 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:35 pm VW tyre choices are a lottery. Just hope you don't get Bridgestone Potenza S001 or RE050A. Every time I get Bridgestones on a FWD VW, tramping is ridiculous, ruins the car - like making Usain Bolt run in wooden clogs. Damp grip is terrible too.

No tramping on the R, but turn in grip below 10C is very poor. I got the RE050As off the R pronto and got Michelin PSS, which transformed the car.

I'll be hugely disappointed if I get Bridgestones on my Brescias.

Ordered the 18s Brescias, looks like I'm getting Bridgestone Turanzas.
Bridgestone Turanza T001 were what came with my 18 Brescias.
Alan Mc
New
Drives: 2018 polo GTI+ Limestone grey

Post by Alan Mc »

Alan Mc wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:28 pm
Alan Mc wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:53 am Well it had to happen to someone and that someone was me. My car has broken already. Dsg won’t engage drive or park. Couldn’t wait on the AA to come out this morning as I needed to leave for work. so will let you all know what happened and what is going on later tonight.
So VW recovery chap come out and typically the fault wasn’t present. Despite me trying everything 30 min before he arrived and nothing. All very odd. The bloody thing would not move this morning or this afternoon and he gets in and hey presto it bloody moved. Never felt more stupid. He didn’t inderstand what it was

He did however find a mirror fault code and aid fault code so he fixed them. So all in all I’m £30 out of pocket in taxis and feel really stupid. I am no idiot the bloody thing would not move !!! 😂😂😂
Update on the update. Same problem again today. Took video of it this time. So if it miraculously fixes itself again I have proof.
MrLems
New
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by MrLems »

Had my Polo GTI+ now for nearly 3 weeks so here is an overview to-date:

Looks: Car looks great in white with the optional Brescia wheels. Very happy with my choice. I think white works well in showing the black and red details on the car such as the rear spoiler lip, red brake calipers, red stripe on front grill and lights and black detailing on front bumper. I'm made a lot of people want to buy one purely on looks! My only gripe is that the car looks like it sits too high. I think it would look better lowered ever so slightly.

Economy: This is what has surprised me the most. On a commute to work which is 45 miles plus I've been getting 44mpg which is not far off the claimed combined 47mpg. This is with some stop start early morning London traffic. On the weekends when i'm driving just for the fun of it, i'm getting 32mpg. I've used eco mode once and will never use it again for two reasons. 1. I hate the coasting when off throttle and 2. I bought this car to drive it how it should be, not like a green peace member.

Performance: Brilliant. I can tell you now there is definitely a noticeable difference in performance since passing 620 miles. There seems to be more low end grunt and earlier torque delivery. The wheels are spinning in 2nd gear now when you floor it and this didn't happen before. Although this could just be my growing heavier right foot. Performance is brilliant though. The claimed 0-62 time of 6.7 is very pessimistic, it can easily beat that. The car pulls very well in 2nd and 3rd gear. Motorway driving is a breeze. You can pretty much get most cars at the lights. And the exhaust makes some nice pops when put into sport mode. I think this engine and chassis can easily cope with more power. I feel like VW have held back with this car. Maybe a Polo GTI Clubsport is in the works? Or maybe they just didn't want to tread on the Golf GTIs toes!

Interior: The cabin is a lovely place to be overall and is set up for the driver in mind. I've got the red dash which photos don't do it justice, it's really nice in the flesh. The active info display and sat nav combination is brilliant, I love how you can flick between screens with the nav. The infotainment is easy to use and slick. Android auto works really well. The tartan seats look great, are comfortable and supportive but the side bolsters get in the way of my arms. There is noticeably more cheaper looking plastics used in the car compared to the previous gen polo but i can forgive this because the car as standard comes very well kitted out. My left knee no longer clashes with the centre console like it did in my previous polo, this is because the car is much bigger inside now. The boot is huge for a polo too, I can fit my road bike in the back easy. Cup holders are rubbish. Arm rest is tiny but does the job. The steering wheel is very nice, big fan of VW steering wheels.

Handling: Car seems to stick to the road. I'll admit this is my first hot hatch, having previously owned a Polo Blue GT (and various other warm hatches), but the GTI knocks this out of the park. You can properly chuck the car into corners and it just sticks. I will be taking the car to a track before the years out so would be good to test it's limits off public roads. The ride is a bit harsh when in sport mode, but then our British roads are notoriously bad.

Other: LED lights perform very well and look great. Rear reversing camera is a must in my eyes makes reverse parking easy. Keyless entry is nice to have, never had it before but saves me faffing about finding my key.

Minor issues: The inserts where the internal door handles are make a very annoying rattle sound. It comes and goes and can only be heard when doing low speeds but it is really annoying. A quick prod of the said area makes the sound go away but then it will come back after time. The windscreen wipers vibrate every time i use them. The vibration is reducing with time, maybe this is because they need to bed in, but it's also very annoying as it leaves streaks on the windscreen when using the screen wash. Last thing I've found rather annoying is when using the manual gear selector in sport mode the car will still change gears for you. I've always had manual cars and this is my first DSG, i miss the control of a manual.

Regrets: Wish i'd specced climate control but then can't have it all!

Overall I love the car! Really happy with my purchase and cannot wait to add more miles onto it! For those that are waiting, it's worth it!
DSC_0267.jpg
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

You've had your Polo 3 weeks now, and you have passed the 620 miles that's OK you think it's given you more power, and you are able to spin the wheels in 2nd gear. Don't you think your pushing the engine a little too much, it should still be running in, up to about 1000 miles.
Keep driving it like that and either your engine will start giving you problems, or your licence could be taken away.