GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Ima
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTi+ on order

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by Ima »

Thanks monkeyhanger that’s really helpful so GPF doesn’t sound much of an issue. I find learning these things interesting. My wife just asked me what I’m doing and I explained and it’s fair to say she doesn’t find this as interesting as I do 😂
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Ima wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:15 pm Thanks monkeyhanger that’s really helpful so GPF doesn’t sound much of an issue. I find learning these things interesting. My wife just asked me what I’m doing and I explained and it’s fair to say she doesn’t find this as interesting as I do 😂
Biggest issue with GPFs (and DPFs on diesel cars) is that as they fill up, exhaust back pressure increases, mpg and power drop a little and even when clear, the turbo is blowing at a higher pressure to overcome having to push exhaust gases through the GPF matrix. The turbo on the wife's 2019 GTI+ seems to be blowing 0.3 bar higher than my 2018's under the same load conditions.

I think most women just want the car to work to get them to Next and blow a load of money on clothes they don't need*, they don't care how it gets them there.

* I recently discovered my wife has 43 pairs of jeans and 24 pairs of Converse trainers, as a small snippet of her wardrobe contents and is still bemoaning the fact she can't go clothes shopping during lockdown!
Ima
Bronze Member

Post by Ima »

Wow that’s quite some clothing haul! I’m lucky really in that although my wife has zero interest in cars she tolerates my interest and spending on them. When my GTi arrives I will have kept my leon for nearly 2 years which is double my previous best. Until the Leon I’d swapped cars on average every 8 months and she still hasn’t divorced me, so any spending she does is small in comparison to mine! :lol:
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Ima wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:22 pm Wow that’s quite some clothing haul! I’m lucky really in that although my wife has zero interest in cars she tolerates my interest and spending on them. When my GTi arrives I will have kept my leon for nearly 2 years which is double my previous best. Until the Leon I’d swapped cars on average every 8 months and she still hasn’t divorced me, so any spending she does is small in comparison to mine! :lol:
Depreciation is a killer if you're changing a car every year! Maybe I'm getting old, but I don't feel the need to change cars as often as I used to. We kept our Golf R for 46 months, and if it wasn't for the annoyance of the gritty manual gear change, I'd probably still have it now. I had bought the factory 5 year warranty that gave a fair bit of confidence in keeping it that long (VW no longer offer factory warranty extensions, but Skoda and Audi still do - strange!).
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:16 pm
Ima wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:22 pm Wow that’s quite some clothing haul! I’m lucky really in that although my wife has zero interest in cars she tolerates my interest and spending on them. When my GTi arrives I will have kept my leon for nearly 2 years which is double my previous best. Until the Leon I’d swapped cars on average every 8 months and she still hasn’t divorced me, so any spending she does is small in comparison to mine! :lol:
Depreciation is a killer if you're changing a car every year! Maybe I'm getting old, but I don't feel the need to change cars as often as I used to. We kept our Golf R for 46 months, and if it wasn't for the annoyance of the gritty manual gear change, I'd probably still have it now. I had bought the factory 5 year warranty that gave a fair bit of confidence in keeping it that long (VW no longer offer factory warranty extensions, but Skoda and Audi still do - strange!).
I’m in the ‘old’ camp (if retired = old, although I took early retirement), and have kept my previous three cars (all VW’S) 55 months, 49 months and 56 months respectively. I’ve owned my current VW nearly 50 months, so based on past experience, I must be coming up to that time when a change is due! They’ve all been pretty reliable and aside from normal servicing and MOT work, I think I’ve only been back to the dealer for unscheduled mechanical work on one occasion (mk5 Golf needed a new sensor - can’t remember what the sensor was for).
monty831
New
Drives: 2019 GTI Plus

Post by monty831 »

SRGTD wrote:
monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:16 pm
Ima wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:22 pm Wow that’s quite some clothing haul! I’m lucky really in that although my wife has zero interest in cars she tolerates my interest and spending on them. When my GTi arrives I will have kept my leon for nearly 2 years which is double my previous best. Until the Leon I’d swapped cars on average every 8 months and she still hasn’t divorced me, so any spending she does is small in comparison to mine! [emoji38]
I’m in the ‘old’ camp (if retired = old, although I took early retirement), and have kept my previous three cars (all VW’S) 55 months, 49 months and 56 months respectively. I’ve owned my current VW nearly 50 months, so based on past experience, I must be coming up to that time when a change is due!
I kept my previous car (SEAT Leon MK2 TDI) just short of 10 years. It was paid off after 5

I'm 6 months into the GTI+ and it's a great car but not sure I will keep it long term

This is first PCP I have had so will see what deals are around after 3 years into ownership

Does anyone know if dealers tend to try get you to change during the final year to 6 months?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Ima
Bronze Member

Post by Ima »

Yes I agree that now I’ve hit half century I’m losing interest in changing cars as often. I’m hoping I can resist the itch for much longer this time-at least until it gets to 3 years old anyway 😀
JoJo Well
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2019 (GPF)

Post by JoJo Well »

Hi everyone,
I bought 3 months ago a brand new Polo GTI. Drove it for about 2100 kms (1300 miles) now, and my major gripe is about the engine.
I know this is a high efficiency engine (aka buddack cycle), but when driving at steady pace (let's stay between 2000 and 3500 rpm), if I push the throttle pedal to accelerate, there is a lag (or kind of a hickup) that lasts around 1/2 sec to a second before the engine revs up.
Even my old MK5 Golf TDI 140 was more responsive when pushing the right pedal...
Did you guys experience the same phenomenon ?
Is it caused by necessary time to switch from one cam profile to another ?
Thanks
Rosinfield
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 AW GTI

Post by Rosinfield »

I could recommend a remap of engine and DSG. Not only with regard to your point, but most importantly because nothing much happens beyond 4000 rpm, whereas it keeps going when remapped.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

JoJo Well wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:45 pm Hi everyone,
I bought 3 months ago a brand new Polo GTI. Drove it for about 2100 kms (1300 miles) now, and my major gripe is about the engine.
I know this is a high efficiency engine (aka buddack cycle), but when driving at steady pace (let's stay between 2000 and 3500 rpm), if I push the throttle pedal to accelerate, there is a lag (or kind of a hickup) that lasts around 1/2 sec to a second before the engine revs up.
Even my old MK5 Golf TDI 140 was more responsive when pushing the right pedal...
Did you guys experience the same phenomenon ?
Is it caused by necessary time to switch from one cam profile to another ?
Thanks
It's not something I've noticed myself. How big a change in throttle position are we talking? If it's a big change then the delay might be the DSG gearbox moving more than 1 gear. The DSG box is touted as being ultra quick to change gears. That's not strictly true. It is very quick in changing clutches with a predetermined gear in place, so 6th to 5th on the other clutch is quick. Changing from 6th to 3rd is slow though.

From comparing output to mpg via the performance data - cut-in/out threshold of the Budack cycle seems to be about 20kW/27hp. Once you exceed 20kW, the instant mpg drops off markedly.
JoJo Well
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2019 (GPF)

Post by JoJo Well »

I forgot to mention that it occurs whatever the driving mode is (M, D or S); I usually drive on manual mode, thus not related to the gearbox.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

JoJo Well wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:07 pm I forgot to mention that it occurs whatever the driving mode is (M, D or S); I usually drive on manual mode, thus not related to the gearbox.
Definitely haven't noticed it.myself, now I'll have to look out for it.

If you're in a bout of acceleration from a low speed and all the DSG has to do is upshift then the box has plenty of time to het the next gear ready. It's when you go down from 6th to 3rd or 5th to 2nd or pretty much doing something that the DSG box can't predict where I've seen the DSG box struggle to.react quickly and have a brain fart.

Being in manual mode doesn't necessarily mean the gearbox isn't at fault - just because you use those paddles to drop a few gears and put your foot down doesn't mean the box reacts any quicker.

If you're accelerating very gently or maintaining 40mph in 5th, the box will be getting the even gear box ready for 6th. You then put your foot down and the evens box has to ditch 6th and switch in 4th before it engages the clutch. That takes about 0.7s.
sc-red
New
Drives: VW Polo GTI+

Post by sc-red »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:17 am
JoJo Well wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:07 pm I forgot to mention that it occurs whatever the driving mode is (M, D or S); I usually drive on manual mode, thus not related to the gearbox.

If you're in a bout of acceleration from a low speed and all the DSG has to do is upshift then the box has plenty of time to het the next gear ready. It's when you go down from 6th to 3rd or 5th to 2nd or pretty much doing something that the DSG box can't predict where I've seen the DSG box struggle to.react quickly and have a brain fart.

Being in manual mode doesn't necessarily mean the gearbox isn't at fault - just because you use those paddles to drop a few gears and put your foot down doesn't mean the box reacts any quicker.

If you're accelerating very gently or maintaining 40mph in 5th, the box will be getting the even gear box ready for 6th. You then put your foot down and the evens box has to ditch 6th and switch in 4th before it engages the clutch. That takes about 0.7s.
I’m sure I’ve noticed this, but only when in Eco mode. When in normal or Sport there is no lag at all in my experience.
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Post by stuartrendall »

I have definitely felt this too. It's not just the nature of the Polo gearbox, most duel clutch systems will do this. Personally i've experienced this in a Bentley Bentayga and Porsche Panamera too. I think its just the coding and current technological capabilities with speed of shifts if the car cannot predict your next action.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

stuartrendall wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:11 pm

I have definitely felt this too. It's not just the nature of the Polo gearbox, most duel clutch systems will do this. Personally i've experienced this in a Bentley Bentayga and Porsche Panamera too. I think its just the coding and current technological capabilities with speed of shifts if the car cannot predict your next action.
It's a DSG issue, they all do this if you want a gear that the box hasn't correctly predicted you'll need next, it takes time to think and change gear to the one you actually need.

As I said, the DSG box is quick at switching clutches but no quicker in changing gears on the same clutch as a manual, but with the manual, you're doing it yourself so not waiting for something to happen.

Very quick at sequentially upshifting, pretty slow at knocking down a few gears when it's not expecting to do so. I'd have the manual option over DSG if there was one so that dropping from 6th to 3rd at 45mph to accelerate hard doesn't feel like an eternity..