GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by monkeyhanger »

l3rady wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:21 pm @monkeyhanger now that you have the larger tyres fitted, are any modifications needed, if so do you have any pictures of what you did to go along with the description you gave above? Thanks
The only concern for me was the wheel arch lining on the rear drivers side wheel. The lining bowed out a little towards the wheel, meaning the tiniest of clearances between rear wheel face and lining - giving a potential to rub. I undid the 2 torx screws that secured the right side of the lining (with the wheel off) adjusted the lining, stretching it a little bit and refitted the screws. The lini.g doesn't bow out so much and now I have a 15mm gap instead of a 5mm gap for clearance.

Pictures right above your post. Front wheel pivot clearance is fine from full lock to full lock. Realistically, with the 225/40 tyres, the rear tyre wall only projects outwards an extra 2mm than the 215/40s the generous lip on the front face of the tyre (expected on a "92 XL" load tyre) gives no clearance concerns either.
New-gti-guy
New
Drives: 1.6

Post by New-gti-guy »

HI all.
For those who have their new cars, have you noticed a big exhaust sound difference with older models without the OPF/ GPF fitted?
JMiddo94
New
Drives: 2019 GTI

Post by JMiddo94 »

Yes, I drove both models and own the post WLTP model, the difference is quite noticeable, the pre WLTP is rather raspy and you get the burble on the upshifts, none of that is there with the newer GPF equipped model. It does have a bassy sound but isn't anything to shout about.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

JMiddo94 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:06 pm Yes, I drove both models and own the post WLTP model, the difference is quite noticeable, the pre WLTP is rather raspy and you get the burble on the upshifts, none of that is there with the newer GPF equipped model. It does have a bassy sound but isn't anything to shout about.
Miltek have just announced a new exhaust for the post-WLTP GPF equipped Polo GTI which is claimed to offer ‘higher levels of sonic ability’ - so presumably more sporty sounding than the factory exhaust.

http://www.polodriver.com/polo-gti/mill ... -polo-gti/
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

Today I got cold shower while visiting VW dealer in czech republic. My gti have some squeak (I hope it is right word) from suspension (my guess is silentblock). They might want my car for more than one day ... I agreed and scheduled visit for next week. Cold shower was when I asked about any other car for me while they gonna look for that sound on mine. Yeah, here they are not free nor they are cheap. 1000 czech crown (around 35pounds) per day for cheapest car (I guess vw up or citigo) and around 1300 or 45 pounds for golf ... My polo cost more than 20 000 pounds and VW want even more for issues on 3 month old car. Iam speechless. And yes I asked more than one dealer. Iam sure done with vw group. Car is great and fun to drive but their warranty service is not.

//all work and parts are free since it is under warranty but they gonna let me walk 20km home -_- btw warranty when car break while driving and they have to tow me will cover loan car for 5 days ... so i guess I will wait till my wheel break off and then call their tow service -_-
fazzy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi++/TT/TDi/190E

Post by fazzy »

JMiddo94 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:06 pm Yes, I drove both models and own the post WLTP model, the difference is quite noticeable, the pre WLTP is rather raspy and you get the burble on the upshifts, none of that is there with the newer GPF equipped model. It does have a bassy sound but isn't anything to shout about.
I am so glad that I will have the GPF car... That snap-crackle-and-pop farting sound is soooo rice :)
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

Dark_cze wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:26 pm Today I got cold shower while visiting VW dealer in czech republic. My gti have some squeak (I hope it is right word) from suspension (my guess is silentblock). They might want my car for more than one day ... I agreed and scheduled visit for next week. Cold shower was when I asked about any other car for me while they gonna look for that sound on mine. Yeah, here they are not free nor they are cheap. 1000 czech crown (around 35pounds) per day for cheapest car (I guess vw up or citigo) and around 1300 or 45 pounds for golf ... My polo cost more than 20 000 pounds and VW want even more for issues on 3 month old car. Iam speechless. And yes I asked more than one dealer. Iam sure done with vw group. Car is great and fun to drive but their warranty service is not.

//all work and parts are free since it is under warranty but they gonna let me walk 20km home -_- btw warranty when car break while driving and they have to tow me will cover loan car for 5 days ... so i guess I will wait till my wheel break off and then call their tow service -_-
That seems bad to me. My UK dealer had my 9 Month Old GTI for a few days for some trim noise issues, and all the time the dealer let me have use of a Loan car Polo SE free of charge until my car was returned with work completed under warranty.
Their usual charge for a loan car if your car is in for service is £12 for the Polo SE.
Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

Dark_cze wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:26 pm Today I got cold shower while visiting VW dealer in czech republic. My gti have some squeak (I hope it is right word) from suspension (my guess is silentblock). They might want my car for more than one day ... I agreed and scheduled visit for next week. Cold shower was when I asked about any other car for me while they gonna look for that sound on mine. Yeah, here they are not free nor they are cheap. 1000 czech crown (around 35pounds) per day for cheapest car (I guess vw up or citigo) and around 1300 or 45 pounds for golf ... My polo cost more than 20 000 pounds and VW want even more for issues on 3 month old car. Iam speechless. And yes I asked more than one dealer. Iam sure done with vw group. Car is great and fun to drive but their warranty service is not.

So here is ending to this warranty BS. :
They take my car and didn't hear anything. I send them video of that noise and their answer was same. So I took taxi to dealer and go for ride with technician. Ok now they hear it ... second day they call me that my car is fixed. And they lube everything they can and then they told me that it was fixed but not with warranty so there is no protocol about work done (so my warranty claim was probably dismised. In my country after 3 same sucessful warranty claim I can cancel contract and want all money back.) -_- I was not asked to pay anything. Also I showed them parking lot 800m away from dealer where that noise was weary audible ... they added 40km to it and consumption increased by 0,5L to 100km ... technician had nice ride I guess. Iam done. Car is great but dealer is one of worst experience I ever had. Last car from vw group ever.
Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

aaaaand noise is back :D made whole 100km :? what the hell
Chris001
New
Drives: GTi+ 2019

Post by Chris001 »

Dark_cze wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:44 pm aaaaand noise is back :D made whole 100km :? what the hell
Hi Dark_cze,

Not to doubt what you are hearing but just as a friendly sugestion I had a similar noise on a previous VW cars I have owned which sounded like it was coming from the suspension (a squeaky creak), it almost sounded like I was sailing a Pirate Galleon....... anyway...... VW could not idnetify and tried similar soulutions but with no acail.

After googling the hell out of it I discovered the noise was actually coming form the rubber seals at the top of the doors where there is two pieces of rubber that run around the top of the door with a gap inbetween.

I cant give you a scientific explanation but the solution was to use your finger to splay the rubber door seals apart from each other and add a light silicon spray to stop the friction and squeaking.

Like I said it may not be that, but thought worth giving it a go incase - I remember the sound being misleading and sounding like it was rear sus when actually it was coming from the door.
EmiLiuZ
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 2,0 DSG

Post by EmiLiuZ »

Anyone else with squeaking brakes when you are reversing just after you've started the car?
I'm not sure if this is normal or not.
Robint
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 polo GTI

Post by Robint »

Hi.

Yes I have sqeeking brakes in reverse not looked into it yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

Chris001 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:37 pm
Dark_cze wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:44 pm aaaaand noise is back :D made whole 100km :? what the hell
Hi Dark_cze,

Not to doubt what you are hearing but just as a friendly sugestion I had a similar noise on a previous VW cars I have owned which sounded like it was coming from the suspension (a squeaky creak), it almost sounded like I was sailing a Pirate Galleon....... anyway...... VW could not idnetify and tried similar soulutions but with no acail.

After googling the hell out of it I discovered the noise was actually coming form the rubber seals at the top of the doors where there is two pieces of rubber that run around the top of the door with a gap inbetween.

I cant give you a scientific explanation but the solution was to use your finger to splay the rubber door seals apart from each other and add a light silicon spray to stop the friction and squeaking.

Like I said it may not be that, but thought worth giving it a go incase - I remember the sound being misleading and sounding like it was rear sus when actually it was coming from the door.
Thank you :) I will take a look :)
EmiLiuZ wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:08 pm Anyone else with squeaking brakes when you are reversing just after you've started the car?
I have that too don't matter if car is cold or warm :D It is not bothering me enough :oops:
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

EmiLiuZ wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:08 pm Anyone else with squeaking brakes when you are reversing just after you've started the car?
i also have it,

it happens when the disc's are warmish hot and it happens more on a down slope.
Doesn't bother me, sport brakes i guess.
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

my noise seems to be low now or gone. A lot of cold rain these past few days. It be a contributing factor. :?