GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by SRGTD »

barrywi wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:52 pm
MrLems wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:16 pm
Cadwest wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:31 pm

Looks like they’ve removed headlight washers and heated windscreen washers from the winter pack according to the VW car builder.
I took delivery of my GTI + yesterday, and I can also confirm that the winter pack does NOT come with headlamp washers!
My dealer reckons the lack of headlamp washers is due to them not being a legal requirement. VW assumed that the law would be the same for led headlamps as it is for discharge headlamps but for some reason it is not. VW fitted headlamp washers to the T Roc and during an update removed them as they realised they were not obliged to fit them by law. The same would apply to the Polo Gti .
Headlamp washers are a legal requirement on LED headlamps in the UK if the power output is 2,000 lumens or more. If the power output is lower than 2,000 lumens, then they aren’t required.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Headlight washers are useless. Spraying/dribbling some screenwash across a headlight coated in road grime and splattered bugs does next to nothing - you need to elbow grease to wipe also. I'll be glad that the GTI+ don't have them.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:33 am Headlight washers are useless. Spraying/dribbling some screenwash across a headlight coated in road grime and splattered bugs does next to nothing - you need to elbow grease to wipe also. I'll be glad that the GTI+ don't have them.
+1. To be effective, there’d need to be headlamp wipers fitted to work in conjunction with the washers, like many BMWs and Saabs had in the 1980’s.

I have headlamp washers on my 2016 Polo GTI and find them pretty ineffective at keeping the headlights clean. They’re really good at making a complete mess of bonnet though as that’s where much of the washer fluid ends up being sprayed. They’re also very good at emptying the washer fluid bottle at a fairly rapid rate.

To all those who’ve ordered the winter pack and are disappointed or angry at the omission of headlamp washers - don’t be; it’s a blessing in disguise IMO 🙂
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Thiss ^^. Defo....
Mandywoo61
New
Drives: New GTI+

Post by Mandywoo61 »

Hi guys, I took delivery of my GTI+ last week and loving it! However, the wing mirrors have stopped folding in after a couple of days. Am I doing something wrong when locking - feel I may have messed up the locking programme by forgetting its keyless and using the fob☹️ Love the sound in sport mode!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Mandywoo61 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:11 pm Hi guys, I took delivery of my GTI+ last week and loving it! However, the wing mirrors have stopped folding in after a couple of days. Am I doing something wrong when locking - feel I may have messed up the locking programme by forgetting its keyless and using the fob☹️ Love the sound in sport mode!
Are you switching keys? Certain functions are remembered by the keys they are set up with (like one touch to open 1 doors or 1 to open driver's door and another to open all), maybe mirror folding is set up with 1 key and not the other. Might be worth consulting the manual!
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

Has anybody bothered with mud flaps, I have them on my current car but it’s more to keep tar spots off the door more than anything else?
joeknight94
New
Drives: Polo GTI+ DSG

Post by joeknight94 »

Just to let you guys know, I’ve tried the 3 main fuel Tesco 99, BP Ultimate and Shell V Power and the car is far better running on V Power - now on 1300 miles and it’s just getting quicker and quicker [emoji106][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Tesco Momentum 99 and Shell V-power perform no differently nor give any economy gains over each other on my Golf R - a car actually set up to run on high octane petrol. That's the general consensus of other R/S3 users too. BP ultimate is only RON97, I have seen a difference there.

Why you using high octane fuels in a car set up for standard unleaded (RON95)? There nay be some benefit in making every 4th tank a premium tank for the additional detergents, but the GTI+ cannot take advantage of the higher RON number.

The gains you are seeing will be down to running in, or psychological .
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Is the increased performance when you are past a certain mileage not down to the "running in software" having run out of miles so delimiting the engine's performance, that is if there is a "running in software" option in the engine's ECU.
joeknight94
New
Drives: Polo GTI+ DSG

Post by joeknight94 »

I was past the running in software stage but the difference was rather dramatic after filling up with V Power I thought I’d share my experience. The fuel is different from Tesco 99 as that is 5% ethanol so I’ve read anyway. I’ll be using V Power now as a result of the change definitely! [emoji106]

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

joeknight94 wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:27 am I was past the running in software stage but the difference was rather dramatic after filling up with V Power I thought I’d share my experience. The fuel is different from Tesco 99 as that is 5% ethanol so I’ve read anyway. I’ll be using V Power now as a result of the change definitely! [emoji106]

They've both got Ethanol, it's there to up the RON to 99. Look anywhere and you'll see debate that's inconclusive, but with a minimum of 10p a litre between the 2 brands and marginal differences barely detectable (I favour Tesco for range per tank and same performance). I buy Costco premium since my local branch got a petrol station.

If you know why some cars reccommend using a higher octane fuel, you'll also know why putting RON99 fuel into a car optimised for RON95 is a complete waste of money.

I'll keep filling the R with premium unleaded, but the RON95 optimised GTI+ will be on a diet of standard unleaded. It will probably get 1 in 4 tanks of premium for the better detergents, but at Costco there's only 5p a litre difference between the 2 - at Shell I have seen differentials as high as 18p per litre.
alandbess
Bronze Member
Drives: Scirocco

Post by alandbess »

When I have remapped all my cars, the guys who did it (Revo) recommended to only use higher octane fuel. Not sure if it's something to do with how the mapping works though

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Cadwest wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:35 am Has anybody bothered with mud flaps, I have them on my current car but it’s more to keep tar spots off the door more than anything else?
You may find that VW won’t make mud flaps for the GTI (they didn’t for the previous generation Polo GTI).

Because the GTI has still extensions and a different design rear bumper to the rest of the Polo range, the standard VW mud flaps for the Polo won’t fit.
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

SRGTD wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:08 pm
Cadwest wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:35 am Has anybody bothered with mud flaps, I have them on my current car but it’s more to keep tar spots off the door more than anything else?
You may find that VW won’t make mud flaps for the GTI (they didn’t for the previous generation Polo GTI).

Because the GTI has still extensions and a different design rear bumper to the rest of the Polo range, the standard VW mud flaps for the Polo won’t fit.
Thanks for the info, no need to worry about then.

Andy