New Polo SEL 115 hp DSG

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

New Polo SEL 115 hp DSG

Post by silverhairs »

Yesterday just ordered a new Polo SEL 115hp with DSG box. I picked the Energetic metallic orange with the following extras.
Electric folding mirrors
Rear view camera
Blind spot monitor
Adaptive cruise control
Orange dashboard pads

When the first price came out of the office, they had added
Paint protection
Alloy wheel protection
body panel protection
Tyre protection
Their own type of GAP insurance, I think they called it MAP
What made me laugh was they said "the coating they give it bonds to the paint and gives a life time shine, with out any further polishing", but then with that protection you get a big zippy bag with all "Auto glym" products in, so they do expect you to polish your car.
I got my pen and deleted all of them off, they went away and came back with a new offer, it had knocked off well over £1,000, more near £1500

I got a price through Carwow, which they agreed to. They said you know there is a waiting period for the build, but I couldn't hold them to a date, all they said "It will be a nice Christmas present". So we are now looking at a 24+ weeks waiting time. I said I know Carwow charge them £300 for referral, if we keep that quite, we could share the £300, but they said Carwow will know? So I'm going to claim the £20 offer from Carwow just so the garage cannot pocket the £300 to themselves, we can all play games like that.

So if anybody reading this looking at going to place an order, make sure they don't start adding things to your order that you don't want
jdunstone16
New
Drives: VW Polo Beats 2018

Re: New Polo SEL 115 hp DSG

Post by jdunstone16 »

Which dealership did you order through?
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

All part of the fun. Negotiation etc.
GAP insurance is cheaper from your on insurance company, I was quoted an extra £30. Car detailing is better and cheaper done by a proper car detailer I have been quoted £300 quid INCl a power tool buff the application of a resin, it takes 1/2 a day and needs to be left under cover overnight.
I think VW wanted £500 probably for their 16 year old apprentice to throw a bucket of sand and water mix over it (my experience of the last Nissan I purchased) then a rub in with a cloth still dirty from the last wash, then half heartedly apply some "stuff" over the paint and go over onto the plastic, glass and rubber. Kind of polish it off (after txting the girlfriend about going out tonight LOL) to reveal the swirls the sand water mix gave it, Rubbish half assed job that cost twice what a detailer did. OR it could be done by a professional detailing company that VW bring in...I have no idea
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

mike sel wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:03 pm All part of the fun. Negotiation etc.
GAP insurance is cheaper from your on insurance company, I was quoted an extra £30. Car detailing is better and cheaper done by a proper car detailer I have been quoted £300 quid INCl a power tool buff the application of a resin, it takes 1/2 a day and needs to be left under cover overnight.
I think VW wanted £500 probably for their 16 year old apprentice to throw a bucket of sand and water mix over it (my experience of the last Nissan I purchased) then a rub in with a cloth still dirty from the last wash, then half heartedly apply some "stuff" over the paint and go over onto the plastic, glass and rubber. Kind of polish it off (after txting the girlfriend about going out tonight LOL) to reveal the swirls the sand water mix gave it, Rubbish half assed job that cost twice what a detailer did. OR it could be done by a professional detailing company that VW bring in...I have no idea
Totally agree Mike on GAP insurance. The VW GAP insurance product is horrendously expensive compared with what you can get elsewhere. Lots of alternative GAP insurance providers out there if anyone finds their motor insurer doesn’t write this cover. GAP insurers who regularly get mentioned are ALA, Direct GAP and GAP insurance 123. There are usually discount codes on the internet for some of these GAP providers, and some also offer a price matching promise, so worth doing a bit of legwork to find a competitive price.

I would strongly urge anyone who is offered paint protection by the dealer to decline it! Mike’s summary of the process that the dealer will use is probably a pretty good summary. I’ve read on other forums stories of owners having paint protection applied by the dealer and it’s not unusual to have complimentary swirls inflicted upon the paintwork. Applying paint protection correctly is a skilled job, and preparation of the paint work prior to applying the paint protection is absolutely key to a good result. The dealer is highly unlikely to have the necessary expertise, and they’ll allocate insufficient time to do it properly; A professional detailer will clean and fully decontaminate the car, undertake an enhancement machine polish (and may undertake further stages of machine polishing), apply the paint protection and leave it to cure before a final buffing of the paintwork, dressing the tyres and other trim, and thoroughly cleaning the glass. This can take up to 1.5 days (depending on the number of polishing stages and the type of paint protection being applied). The dealer will probably allocate no more than a couple of hours! I also don’t let the dealer give my car a complimentary service wash when it’s in for servicing or repairs as lots of dealers use the ‘sand and water mix’ and the grit laden sponge.

For anyone considering alloy wheel insurance, bear in mind that many of these insurances exclude diamond cut alloys wheels, and many Polos are fitted with diamond cut alloys. Also, repairs are likely to be SMART repairs, rather than a proper refurbishment.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

SRGTD wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:53 pm
mike sel wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:03 pm All part of the fun. Negotiation etc.
Totally agree Mike on GAP insurance. The VW GAP insurance product is horrendously expensive compared with what you can get elsewhere. Lots of alternative GAP insurance providers out there if anyone finds their motor insurer doesn’t write this cover. GAP insurers who regularly get mentioned are ALA, Direct GAP and GAP insurance 123. There are usually discount codes on the internet for some of these GAP providers, and some also offer a price matching promise, so worth doing a bit of legwork to find a competitive price.

I would strongly urge anyone who is offered paint protection by the dealer to decline it! Mike’s summary of the process that the dealer will use is probably a pretty good summary. I’ve read on other forums stories of owners having paint protection applied by the dealer and it’s not unusual to have complimentary swirls inflicted upon the paintwork. Applying paint protection correctly is a skilled job, and preparation of the paint work prior to applying the paint protection is absolutely key to a good result. The dealer is highly unlikely to have the necessary expertise, and they’ll allocate insufficient time to do it properly; A professional detailer will clean and fully decontaminate the car, undertake an enhancement machine polish (and may undertake further stages of machine polishing), apply the paint protection and leave it to cure before a final buffing of the paintwork, dressing the tyres and other trim, and thoroughly cleaning the glass. This can take up to 1.5 days (depending on the number of polishing stages and the type of paint protection being applied). The dealer will probably allocate no more than a couple of hours! I also don’t let the dealer give my car a complimentary service wash when it’s in for servicing or repairs as lots of dealers use the ‘sand and water mix’ and the grit laden sponge.

For anyone considering alloy wheel insurance, bear in mind that many of these insurances exclude diamond cut alloys wheels, and many Polos are fitted with diamond cut alloys. Also, repairs are likely to be SMART repairs, rather than a proper refurbishment.
Yes SRGTD all good points to keep in mind when doing the deal. The detailer I have found has asked me to not let VW wash the car on prep. He wants to be looking after the paint work from as early in the cars life as possible.. Look i have just gone for the std grey colour, Mainly cause I like it. So I have the cash I would have spent on the colour to get it detailed properly. After SRGD made comment I spoke to the detailer and he actually takes a day to prep and "condition the paintwork" . he says its a good thing with modern paints that the car has sat for 8 weeks after manufacture for the paint to go hard properly. He then applies the resin and then leaves it over night under shelter. Then next day he buffs and brings the car up to its full gloss potential. He says another area that gets ignored by most dealers is the door jambs and the sills, under the bonnet and inside the rear hatch. So everyone, if your going for lifetime shine just stand back and think about it for a while, if its still your bag then who knows you could get lucky and get a good job....but its not for me.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Lifeshine is easy to apply yourself if you really want it and the application kit can be had on ebay for a little over £15. You'll get the big autoglym bag of goodies for another £20

Give the car a good wash beforehand with a proper car shampoo, then IronX or similar to dissolve any iron contamination embedded in the bodywork, then another good wash before applying the products and buffing off. You are still talking a good 4-6 hours work if you do it yourself. Keep the glass treatment for rain repellency off the bodywork as there are some strong acids in there. Then you have the fabric stain protector. Once you apply that you should not be setting foot in the car until the following day.

I'll be doing all this to mine, but using C2V3 on the bodywork and something scotchgardy on the seats and carpets.

A detailer will get it all on (better stuff than Autoglym, maybe some proper ceramic coat) with some paint correction, but it won't look perfect for long unless you are handing £300 over every 6 months.

If you want GAP then ALA and 123 compete with each other and one promises to undercut the other by 20%, so by playing them off each other, you should be able to get back to current RRP cover for about £110.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Going back a couple of posts, a member asked where I had purchased my Polo from?

I got it from Grimsby Volkswagen, I was taken out for a test drive by Dylan Woods, (very helpful guy) but when it came to finalising the purchase he had to go and get Mel Lawrence-Woffindin the sales manager, it was her who put all the extra's in. The thing was nobody had asked me if I wanted them, just took it for granted. Again it seems as though "it's an OAP, lets screw-em"

My mate has just purchased a brand new Hyundai i10 for his Mrs. When it was time to finalise the price, he and the sales guy sat at his desk and one by one asked him if he wanted paint protection, alloy wheel protection and GAP insurance, ect ect. He didn't just take it for granted and automatically add it to the final bill.
OK, some of you said it's a part of purchasing a new car, but it nice to be asked first, not slide it in via the back door.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Can I ask the members what grade of petrol they use in their Polo 115hp DSG, do they use the lowest grade or put a higher grade? One thing I don't use is supermarket fuel.
As it's the 115hp engine should it have a higher grade?
Many thanks in anticipation of your replies.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

silverhairs wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 11:19 am My mate has just purchased a brand new Hyundai i10 for his Mrs. When it was time to finalise the price, he and the sales guy sat at his desk and one by one asked him if he wanted paint protection, alloy wheel protection and GAP insurance, ect ect. He didn't just take it for granted and automatically add it to the final bill.
OK, some of you said it's a part of purchasing a new car, but it nice to be asked first, not slide it in via the back door.
These add-ons are a big money maker for the dealer if the customer buys them. It’s very poor of a dealer to try and slip these products into the deal without making the customer aware though. I wouldn’t buy these add-one from the dealer, and I certainly wouldn’t have the dealer apply paint protection even if they offered to do it for free!

When I bought my mk5 Golf in 2007, I had 3 different salespeople try to get me to take paint protection, scratch and dent insurance and alloy wheel insurance. They were quite persistent and didn’t seem to understand ‘no thank you’, and almost lost the car sale as I was on the point of walking out of the dealership. I didn’t buy the add-ons though.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

A friend of my mum bought a BMW & £500 of similar 'extra protection stuff' was added to the final total without being asked. She only discovered when perusing the paperwork afterwards, kinda her fault for not checking in the first place I guess. She wasn't best pleased but don't recall she had any kind of refund though she sold the Beemer anyway as she decided didn't like it. A friend of mine just bought a new Nissan Micra, instant availability (!), and the dealer was so persistant at selling the extras to the extent he told told them to stop trying selling him stuff he didn't want or he would walk. He didn't walk AND he got free 'flaps, mats & tank of gas'. So a result, though seems the deal did twist and turn somewhat....