Android Auto Google Maps and Velociraptor query

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
JohnF
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 Polo SE 95

Android Auto Google Maps and Velociraptor query

Post by JohnF »

I have a query regarding using Android Auto with Google Maps, and specifically getting speed limit indications on my Polo creen.

Google Maps does not allow this, but using another app, Velociraptor,does. As far as I can tell this should work automatically by showing up superimposed on the GoogleMaps screen, and indeed it does on my Samsung Galaxy J5, but sadly not on the Polo screen.

THe actual speed is in a circle which can be moved about the screen, but whereever I position it it refuses to appear on the Polo screen.

Any ideas?
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Re: Android Auto Google Maps and Velociraptor query

Post by Cadwest »

Don’t think Velociraptor works with android auto, have you tried using Waze instead of google maps.

Forgot to add Waze should also show speed cameras.
JohnF
Getting There!

Post by JohnF »

Not tried Waze. From my research Google Maps is preferred for long journeys. It's great apart from the speed limit ommision.I'll check further but the question is although it works on the phone why not on the screen? I thought it said you could connect Velo to the car dash but I may be wrong. I just woundered if anyone had had any success on this.
Cadwest
Bronze Member

Post by Cadwest »

If you downloaded Velociraptor from the android playstore I don’t think it will work, you have to download it from a mirror site which involves altering the security settings on your phone, have tried this method?
JohnF
Getting There!

Post by JohnF »

Sounds a bit too technical for me but thanks. How do you do this?
Cadwest
Bronze Member

Post by Cadwest »

You have to unlock install from unknown sources which might be in your security settings or it may be in developer options which needs unlocking in its own right, it will also leave your phone more vulnerable to viruses.
I personally would give Waze a try first, I’ve preferred this in the past to google maps but I’ve not used either for a few good months.