Picked up my Polo SEL today

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
WillWord
Getting There!
Drives: SEL 1.00 TSI 115 DSG

Picked up my Polo SEL today

Post by WillWord »

So after waiting nearly 5 months picked up my car today, nearly refused it as it came without the Digital Display and the Coloured dash. How can VW take so long to manufacture a mass produced car and still get it wrong.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Picked up my Polo SEL today

Post by SRGTD »

WillWord wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 6:06 pm So after waiting nearly 5 months picked up my car today, nearly refused it as it came without the Digital Display and the Coloured dash. How can VW take so long to manufacture a mass produced car and still get it wrong.
The omission of the digital dash is pretty poor IMO. If it was on your original order that you should have a copy of, then either VW or the dealer have screwed up and if I were you, I’d be asking the dealer what they’re going to do to rectify the situation - I’d have thought you were entitled to some freebies (free servicing, feee accessories etc.) in addition to a refund of what you paid for that option.

As for the dash pad; was it you that said you’d ordered an orange dash pad in a White Silver car? As far as I’m aware, that isn’t a combination that’s available in the Polo - I seem to remember querying it with the forum member a few months back when they said that’s what they’d ordered. I’m surprised the new car ordering system used by the dealer doesn’t have some form of validation built in to prevent the input of that (or any other invalid) combination, or that the dealer didn’t tell you orange dash pad with White Silver couldn’t be had together.

Hope these issues didn’t spoilt the experience of getting your new car too much. Now that you’ve taken delivery, go and enjoy it!
WillWord
Getting There!

Post by WillWord »

SRGTD wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 7:26 pm
WillWord wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 6:06 pm So after waiting nearly 5 months picked up my car today, nearly refused it as it came without the Digital Display and the Coloured dash. How can VW take so long to manufacture a mass produced car and still get it wrong.
The omission of the digital dash is pretty poor IMO. If it was on your original order that you should have a copy of, then either VW or the dealer have screwed up and if I were you, I’d be asking the dealer what they’re going to do to rectify the situation - I’d have thought you were entitled to some freebies (free servicing, feee accessories etc.) in addition to a refund of what you paid for that option.

As for the dash pad; was it you that said you’d ordered an orange dash pad in a White Silver car? As far as I’m aware, that isn’t a combination that’s available in the Polo - I seem to remember querying it with the forum member a few months back when they said that’s what they’d ordered. I’m surprised the new car ordering system used by the dealer doesn’t have some form of validation built in to prevent the input of that (or any other invalid) combination, or that the dealer didn’t tell you orange dash pad with White Silver couldn’t be had together.

Hope these issues didn’t spoilt the experience of getting your new car too much. Now that you’ve taken delivery, go and enjoy it!
Yes the dealer has refunded both items and financially compensated us for all the hassle and stress, the dash was the Energetic Orange, wife's upset but it would not have been my choice anyway, upset about the digital display. In general very happy with car, just need a few days to enjoy it and set everything up.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

WillWord wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:04 pm

Yes the dealer has refunded both items and financially compensated us for all the hassle and stress, the dash was the Energetic Orange, wife's upset but it would not have been my choice anyway, upset about the digital display. In general very happy with car, just need a few days to enjoy it and set everything up.
Ok I was in my dealer Friday to sign the re docs etc. They said my car was with them and it had arrived at 7.45 that morning. I asked to see it but they would not show it saying it was being checked in at their compound. I believed them. Until I just read your account. I have ordered a SEL with DSG 115hp. Winter pack, active info, keyless, driver mode, rear camera, bling spot warning, folding mirrors, occupant protection.

I note that you had the active info missing, same with coloured dash pad. bet you went loopy? how much did they compensate if you don't mind me asking?

My concern is that it may not be just an error on your car, Active info may just not available yet? it seems likely to be the case. Your car went though quality checks at VW SA before it left, then at Uk port of arrival. Then at the dealer where they prepped the car got it ready for the customer, (part of which is driving it as I understand) and no one noticed that it did not have the correct bright orange dash or the brightly coloured active info display? no one at all? until you sat in it and noticed both within 2 seconds???? No NO NO that just don't happen not even if VW were super stupid, which they are not, by a very long way. At any point VW could have pointed out to you that they had not met your specification, some one at some point MUST have known active info was missing, and someone made the decision not to tell you until hand over. That is breath takingly arrogant on VWs part. ANY reputable car manufacturer would have let you know BEFORE manufacture to be sure you would not rather have waited for the correct spec car. TBH its not the missing active info that is most disappointing in this case its the clear attempt to deceive and mislead a client that is most upsetting. Do you trust them to have complied with the rest of your spec? how do you know they have put a 115BHP engine in the car and its not the 95hp?

Of course if its there on mine then I have just waisted 10 mins typing and have barked up the wrong tree, but if its missing....then its not an error or an oversight its contrived miss selling. The same error twice? not even pre warning either client, not a chance, that will be no error.

I will let you know what reply I get from the dealer.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Thing is are we are saying here, that the VW SA QA missed it, then the QA in sheerness missed it, then the in dealer QA missed it? I get Its a dark blank screen with NO display at all when the car is switched off, but during all the moving of the car and QA the engine would have been on and it a brightly lit up display . Some one a VW decided to stick it in there because Active info was not available either just for this car or generally. so someone then decided not to tell the customer at any point. It was left for the customer to spot.

I do hope my active info is there, As has been stated it is very possible that VW dealer just forgot to order active info. that really would explain the QA checks missing it. Confidence in VW restored. I think I will find out if indeed my active info is there because its deffo on my order form.
Last edited by mike sel on Mon May 28, 2018 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

@mike sel; It’s quite possible that the dealer screwed up at the initial ordering stage and didn’t include AID as one of the customer-selected options when they input the vehicle details into the ordering system for Willward’s car. If this is what happened, then it wouldn’t get picked up at QA stage, as AID wouldn’t be part of the spec on the car’s build sheet used by the factory to build the car. So as far as the factory’s aware, the car has been built to spec. If the car was mis-built (i.e. not as per the spec on the build sheet), them yes, you’d expect this to get picked up as part of QA checking.

The original order that a customer gets given a copy of should list all the options the customer has specified, so if AID is listed on Willward’s order form, it should’ve been included in the spec details input by the dealer into the ordering system. What we don’t know is whether or not VW’s ordering system is ‘clever’ enough to identify and flag up any inconsistencies in customer requested spec and the available / acceptable spec permutations, such as a specific dash pad colour that’s not available with a particular paint colour or a specific model, or certain options not being available on certain models at the time the order was processed. If it can’t do this, then VW should be upgrading their ordering system as a priority! Assuming the ordering system does have this validation functionality, then it’s looking likely it’s down to the dealer either processing the order incorrectly, or not communicating to the customer that their required spec isn’t a valid build spec, which IMO is a pretty poor state of affairs.

IMO it’s absolutely vital for anyone ordering a new car to check the original order form to make sure the spec’s correct. Mistakes can and do happen, so if a dealer has made an error in processing a customer’s order, it can be rectified if brought to the dealer’s attention before the car’s build date is confirmed.

Good luck with collection of your car, and hopefully it’ll be exactly to your spec. Looking forward to seeing some pictures on the forum.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

yes good points you made there

I will cut some slack. I have checked my order form and Active info is there. so I will let you know what the dealer says and what is one the car.
WillWord
Getting There!

Post by WillWord »

I ordered my car week 10 and was told by my dealer the Active Display and dash could not be ordered until week 12 so they held my order for 2 weeks before putting it on the VW system, all my paperwork has both items confirmed as ordered and priced correctly, the first I was aware of AID missing was a very apologetic phone call from my dealer informing me the car had just arrived and was missing the AID, at that time I made a few choice comments and asked him to confirm the Orange dash was on the car which he did. After 5 days we agreed to take the car with compensation in place, we collected the car 2 days later, immediately noticed incorrect dash, to cut a long and stressful saga short the dealer stepped up and made sure we were happy/willing to purchase the car.

I was able to see VW documents confirming all other items were as ordered and spent plenty of time checking everything before signing, since getting the car home I have again checked everything is correct, but can now confirm everything is correct including engine size.

Am I now happy with the car Yes, but the whole process has been horrendous worst experience I've ever had buying a new car, would I buy a VW car again NO.
WillWord
Getting There!

Post by WillWord »

mike sel wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 5:39 am

Of course if its there on mine then I have just waisted 10 mins typing and have barked up the wrong tree, but if its missing....then its not an error or an oversight its contrived miss selling. The same error twice? not even pre warning either client, not a chance, that will be no error.

I will let you know what reply I get from the dealer.
Mike good luck with your car, intrested to know how you get on.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I think that I've suggested this before, but, I'd suspect that there will be a check made on the car's condition at Port Elizabeth so that any damage to the bodywork prior to handing over to the shipping agent will get reported, likewise at every port where that car is unloaded and then reloaded and finally at its port of entry into UK and all other countries, there will again be a check make of its bodywork prior to handing it over to the local logistics company, that is just the way things are done, none of these checks involve checking the make up of that car against the original factory order from the dealer.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Short answer is do a Santa: make the list then check it twice though mistakes can and do happen anyway. How much of an issue this is only the OP can decide but seems a genuine error occured & the dealer did their best to sort it. Maybe AID isn't avaialble for now ? Sadly ordering / buying a new car isn't always as easy as it should be, I could fill the forum (some might argue I do that already) with bad dealer experiences & years ago I'd have said raising the pennies is the difficult bit, now it's just one of them. Battling for one's rights is all well and good, sellers often don't give a stuff once they have your cash (hence why I do PCP leasing nowadays), but sometimes life is just too short for such things. Hopefully the car will be perfectly ok and the OP will be happy with it, which is the most important thing....
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

WillWord wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:46 am I ordered my car week 10 and was told by my dealer the Active Display and dash could not be ordered until week 12 so they held my order for 2 weeks before putting it on the VW system, all my paperwork has both items confirmed as ordered and priced correctly, the first I was aware of AID missing was a very apologetic phone call from my dealer informing me the car had just arrived and was missing the AID, at that time I made a few choice comments and asked him to confirm the Orange dash was on the car which he did. After 5 days we agreed to take the car with compensation in place, we collected the car 2 days later, immediately noticed incorrect dash, to cut a long and stressful saga short the dealer stepped up and made sure we were happy/willing to purchase the car.

I was able to see VW documents confirming all other items were as ordered and spent plenty of time checking everything before signing, since getting the car home I have again checked everything is correct, but can now confirm everything is correct including engine size.

Am I now happy with the car Yes, but the whole process has been horrendous worst experience I've ever had buying a new car, would I buy a VW car again NO.
I do not see what more you could have done. So sorry it was a stress for you. Are you happy with the car now you have it? I am seeing more new Polos on the road in my area now, but I do not think many of them are SEL or GTI versions.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

mike sel wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:26 am I am seeing more new Polos on the road in my area now, but I do not think many of them are SEL or GTI versions.
It does seem as if VW have focused on producing SE and Beats models in the initial months - the nearly new Polos that are for sale on VW’s website and on Autotrader are nearly all SE and Beats models and only a handful of SEL and R-Lines. Production of the GTI started later and first GTI/GTI+, so are now just beginning to arrive in the UK.

Good luck Mike with collection of your new car. Look forward to hearing about the handover experience and what you think of the car, and seeing some pictures of it.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

SRGTD wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:37 am
mike sel wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:26 am I am seeing more new Polos on the road in my area now, but I do not think many of them are SEL or GTI versions.
It does seem as if VW have focused on producing SE and Beats models in the initial months - the nearly new Polos that are for sale on VW’s website and on Autotrader are nearly all SE and Beats models and only a handful of SEL and R-Lines. Production of the GTI started later and first GTI/GTI+, so are now just beginning to arrive in the UK.

Good luck Mike with collection of your new car. Look forward to hearing about the handover experience and what you think of the car, and seeing some pictures of it.
Cheers, its only std grey (I like understated, for example my watches are all Omega rather than Rolex) so it is not going to look flashy, like some I have seen. I have not bothered bright colours or LEDS, But I have just about every option on the list (not sunroof). I will post a couple of photos though.
WillWord
Getting There!

Post by WillWord »

mike sel wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:26 am
I do not see what more you could have done. So sorry it was a stress for you. Are you happy with the car now you have it? I am seeing more new Polos on the road in my area now, but I do not think many of them are SEL or GTI versions.
[/quote]

Good luck today hope all goes well, not had much time to drive the car (dreaded man flu) but yes happy with the Polo, all looks good, had issue with wiper judder yesterday so will clean screen and get all the muck they put on when prepping it for collection day.