Reversing Camera

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
WillWord
Getting There!
Drives: SEL 1.00 TSI 115 DSG

Reversing Camera

Post by WillWord »

Spending the weekend setting up car, worse than setting up a PC, anyway done lots of settings wing mirror dipping on reverse, Radio station logos etc but I've Noticed when reversing the green outer lines on the Discover Media screen are static ie not moving when steering wheel is turned, looked in all settings, plus the manual cant find anything to help. Is this normal or am I missing something.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Reversing Camera

Post by SRGTD »

The green lines don’t move on screen on my 2016 GTI either. My understanding is they’re there to provide assistance with manoeuvres such as reversing into a parking bay / car park space by lining up the two vertical on-screen green lines with the parking space markings.

There are videos on YouTube showing the VW reversing camera in action, and the on-screen display. Didn’t find one for the new Polo, but there are video clips of the mk7 Golf reversing. Here’s one;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FGMYcTQ6hWw
WillWord
Getting There!

Post by WillWord »

SRGTD wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 7:44 pm The green lines don’t move on screen on my 2016 GTI either. My understanding is they’re there to provide assistance with manoeuvres such as reversing into a parking bay / car park space by lining up the two vertical on-screen green lines with the parking space markings.

There are videos on YouTube showing the VW reversing camera in action, and the on-screen display. Didn’t find one for the new Polo, but there are video clips of the mk7 Golf reversing. Here’s one;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FGMYcTQ6hWw
Thanks all the YouTube videos I saw were the same, looks like its working as it should, my wife was used to the Tiguan that had the "bendy lines".
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Just looked at the clip showing the view you get when reversing, the one I used on a Nissan Micra courtesy car, also had two yellow lines that bent when you were turning, showing you the path that the car would take, I found this handy. Not just the two straight lines on the Polo.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

I always found the 'bendy' lines quite handy on the Tiguan RNS-10 I once had. The static lines will take some getting used to. :?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

The bendy lines aren’t a function of the reversing camera; you should have them though if you’ve got parking sensors as they’re part of the Park Pilot display. The OP’s original question was specifically in relation to the green vertical lines in the reversing camera display - these stay fixed and don’t bend.

To the OP (@Willword); There should be a section on the Park Pilot in your Owner’s Manual, including pictures/diagrams of the display that appears on the infotainment screen. In my previous generation Polo GTI this is one of the on screen park pilot displays, which shows the ‘bendy lines’;
Attachments
2C01E83F-2645-40AE-B3BD-907B4D3619DF.jpeg
WillWord
Getting There!

Post by WillWord »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:33 pm The bendy lines aren’t a function of the reversing camera; you should have them though if you’ve got parking sensors as they’re part of the Park Pilot display. The OP’s original question was specifically in relation to the green vertical lines in the reversing camera display - these stay fixed and don’t bend.

To the OP (@Willword); There should be a section on the Park Pilot in your Owner’s Manual, including pictures/diagrams of the display that appears on the infotainment screen. In my previous generation Polo GTI this is one of the on screen park pilot displays, which shows the ‘bendy lines’;
Thanks, my wife uses Park Pilot as a final check, but misses the green bendy lines.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

The great thing about the RNS / Tiguan system is that the bendy lines which bend proportionally to steering input were superimposed on the live camera view to the rear of the vehicle. I’m guessing that you don’t get the same benefits on the live view on the Polo 2018, as on the camera view, the lines remain static. 🤔