What are the Polos Service Intervals?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
TElwoody
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo 2018

What are the Polos Service Intervals?

Post by TElwoody »

Hi all, i just asked my dealer and she said every year or 10,000 miles, now i really don't want to be servicing my car twice a year and as far as i remember it was meant to be every 20,000 miles. Maybe i am wrong, could anyone add their knowledge?

On my order it has service plan for X amount, would this be to do with it?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: What are the Polos Service Intervals?

Post by SRGTD »

VW have two service regimes; flexible (long life) and time and distance. I’m pretty certain that the default setting from the factory is the flexible service regime. Time and distance is more appropriate for lower mileage drivers.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

Under the flexible service regime, the oil change service interval is the sooner of 18,000 miles or 24 months. With time and distance it’s the sooner of 10,000 miles or 12 months. If you have purchased a service plan, then I believe the car will be on the time and distance service regime, in which case the sales person would be correct in saying that your service intervals are 10,000 miles or 12 months, which ever is sooner.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/car-finance ... olo-nf#673
TElwoody
Bronze Member

Post by TElwoody »

Hmm,

I'll be doing about 20k miles a year so how would i go about getting the long service regime? I didn't ask for the service plan.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

TElwoody wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:20 am Hmm,

I'll be doing about 20k miles a year so how would i go about getting the long service regime? I didn't ask for the service plan.
Suggest you speak to your dealer. If you didn’t ask for the service plan, but you’ve been charged for it, then that’s a little bit sneaky of the dealer to include it without telling you. Grounds to complain to the dealer? They’ll need to refund you what you’ve paid or what you will be paying (if you’ve not got car yet).

Not sure from your post whether or not you’ve actually taken delivery of your car. Assuming you have, you can check in your car’s settings via the infotainment screen when the oil change service is due. If it shows the oil service is due on a date that’s approx 24 months and a mileage of circa 18k, then the car’s settings are correct to generate the service warning for long life servicing. If the settings show the first service is due at 12 months / 10k miles, then it’s been changed to time and distance.
gobsteruk
New
Drives: BlueGT

Post by gobsteruk »

We bought the service plan, the first service is due at 20k or 2 years, whichever is sooner. We have clocked just over 8k the first year. I called the dealer when the VW app said our bluegt was due a service, the confirmed that we are on a 2 service or 4 year plan, so ignore the app, the manual states 20k 2year minor service and 40k 4 year major service.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

gobsteruk wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 11:33 am We bought the service plan, the first service is due at 20k or 2 years, whichever is sooner. We have clocked just over 8k the first year. I called the dealer when the VW app said our bluegt was due a service, the confirmed that we are on a 2 service or 4 year plan, so ignore the app, the manual states 20k 2year minor service and 40k 4 year major service.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Maybe there are (or were) different service plans - sometimes a dealer will offer their own version rather than the official VW service plan.

However, the T&C’s for the official VW service plan under the ‘Offers’ section on VW’s website for the new Polo (bottom of the screen at the link below) state that the car must be set to the fixed (time and distance) service regime by the dealer. So, first (oil) service would be carried out at the soonest of 12 months / 10,000 miles and second (oil and inspection) service at the soonest of 24 months / 20,000 miles.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/car-finance ... olo-nf#673

The OP needs to clarify with their dealer which service plan was included on their order. If its the official VW plan (likely it is) then it might not be appropriate for the OP’s needs, bearing in mind their annual mileage.
TElwoody
Bronze Member

Post by TElwoody »

Hi guys,
Just emailed my dealer person who's sorting it out, basically just said the following.

"Also would like to ask if i could be put onto the 2 year or 18-20,000 miles a year service as ill be doing loads of miles and don't want to service twice a year. Not sure if this is to do with the service plan thats on the order sheet but thought id ask just to double check."

Should hopefully sort things out, been messaging quite alot about things recently so don't wanna seem to persistent, probably my Britishness.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

My wife's August 2015 Polo was bought with an offered at a good price, dealership service plan, now we could have said "no" to that, but when I examined it it covered 3 services, year 1 minor, year 2 major and year 3 minor and an MOT. Now, we only planned to cover 7.K>10K miles a year so fixed servicing suited the use we were planning to put that car to.

So, TElwoody did you order that car with the intention to use it for approx. 20K miles a year and did the dealer ask about this before selling/including/giving the service plan to you? If so then I would have expected that you would have been handed over that car with variable miles/years - ie longlife servicing and that any app with that car as its subject would reflect this - some thing not right with all of what you have said, I'd be giving the sale's manager a good kicking if it was their fault, and get them to sort it out now, none of this fluffy "oh don't bother" or "ignore" that stuff.

Edit:- this posting was being composed as you posted your previous reply!

Another Edit:- the service plan that that car was set up for at the factory will be shown by one of the PR codes on its build data sheet.
TElwoody
Bronze Member

Post by TElwoody »

Thanks and yeah ive emailed so hopefully they can provide an answer. Ill update y'all when i get a response. Thanks for all the replys
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

My connect app says I am on the 10,000 mile service interval, grrrrr, they knew I do 25,000 miles a year. The long service interval was an important plus of the Polo.
TElwoody
Bronze Member

Post by TElwoody »

Right as an update, my dealer confirmed that it will be 1 year or 10,000 miles for the first two services as part of the service plan, then i can change to 2 years or 20,000 miles after as part of the long service intervals. So not too bad then, it's all part of the first orders package.