GTI engine specs

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
alandbess
Bronze Member
Drives: Scirocco

GTI engine specs

Post by alandbess »

Evening all....
I've seen a few bits and pieces floating around regarding the specs of the engine in the GTI. But I can't find that much info. I'm really interested because I'm considering a OBD plug in remap system from Revo or APR. Having looked at pictures of the engine, it's not the same as in the Golf GTI, so I'm wandering what's actually different.
Also, this will be my first DSG car, I know they're pretty bomb proof, but what are the thoughts on how much torque can be run through this 6 speed, wet clutch setup?

Thanks all
Alan

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: GTI engine specs

Post by monkeyhanger »

That would all depend on what wet 6speed DSG box you have, if they do vary. I do know that the Golf GTI and R manuals have a "just enough clutch that you'd be foolish to remap without facing the inevitability that you'll need a new clutch soon enough. DSGers with the same cars have had 450Nm remaps without any bother, and even then the DSG boxes can be mapped for higher clutch plate clamping pressures. Is there only one variant of the 6 speed DSG? If so, i'd say the box could handle 380PS and 450Nm as a remapped R gives, but the Polo will probably struggle to get over 250PS unless you start replacing small turbos for bigger ones, same for injectors etc.
alandbess
Bronze Member
Drives: Scirocco

Post by alandbess »

monkeyhanger wrote:That would all depend on what wet 6speed DSG box you have, if they do vary. I do know that the Golf GTI and R manuals have a "just enough clutch that you'd be foolish to remap without facing the inevitability that you'll need a new clutch soon enough. DSGers with the same cars have had 450Nm remaps without any bother, and even then the DSG boxes can be mapped for higher clutch plate clamping pressures. Is there only one variant of the 6 speed DSG? If so, i'd say the box could handle 380PS and 450Nm as a remapped R gives, but the Polo will probably struggle to get over 250PS unless you start replacing small turbos for bigger ones, same for injectors etc.
I'm not after big power anyway. I'd only go stg 1. I'm too old for too much more. The surge of adrenaline would probably give me a heart attack if I went for any more than that [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Should be fine stage 1 if there is only one DSG 6 speed variant. As far as i'm aware, the Golf GTI and R (pre-facelift) use the same DSG box, now GTI PP and R get 7 speed wet DSG with a tall economy led 7th gear.
PoloBlueGT
Bronze Member
Drives: Landrover Freelander

Post by PoloBlueGT »

Just to add a question into this I’ve got a Blue GT with A 7 speed dry setup what are the numbers on that if anyone knows?
loadswine
New
Drives: Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Post by loadswine »

In response to Alan's original question, I spoke to DTUK last week, and they said that colleagues had looked at the Polo GTi engine and the basic EA88 is very similar, apart from smaller injectors, smaller turbo and MAF situated on the inlet pipe. I guess it will have a particulate filter in the system as well.
As for gearbox, it is likely to be the DQ250 box, as has been said and it is pretty robust. I have this in my Skoda Superb 280 and it is pretty decent. One of the chaps on Briskoda has been running his superb on stock box at around 500bhp, so guess its tough enough for the Polo.
jylydesign
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+ on order

Post by jylydesign »

Here is an interesting article on the engine used in the 2018 Polo GTI. Although from the EA888 family, there several significant differences not least a higher compression ratio and smaller turbo which probably doesn't bode well for tuning
http://e-hike.net/content/behind-audis- ... n3b-family

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

fazzy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi++/TT/TDi/190E

Post by fazzy »

You guys are talking about a smaller turbocharger... then the logical question is what turbocharger is used in the new Polo GTI?
jylydesign
Getting There!

Post by jylydesign »

It's an IS20.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

fazzy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi++/TT/TDi/190E

Post by fazzy »

jylydesign wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:02 pm It's an IS20.

IS 20? Thank you.
Then it's not a smaller turbo and it's the same blower as in the Golf GTi. Thus, the potential for tuning is quite substantial and should be sufficient for most and if it's not, then a IS38 almost plug-and-play blower should be sufficient for 350 hp+ at which point traction will be much more of a problem rather then insufficient power :)
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

fazzy wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:15 pm

IS 20? Thank you.
Then it's not a smaller turbo and it's the same blower as in the Golf GTi. Thus, the potential for tuning is quite substantial and should be sufficient for most and if it's not, then a IS38 almost plug-and-play blower should be sufficient for 350 hp+ at which point traction will be much more of a problem rather then insufficient power :)
Traction is a problem now on stock 200ps and Brescia wheel standard tyres (Bridgestone Turanza), and the Polo GTI apparently has a significantly smaller intercooler.

Couple that with the 3b tech making for a high effective compression ratio and there might not be much scope for increasing output by using a tuning box to fool the car into overfuelling - with further fuelling potentially causing pinking - unless you start to use RON98/99.
jylydesign
Getting There!

Post by jylydesign »

I have a JB4 tuning box fitted from Burger Motorsports. They say the biggest restriction is indeed the small cooler and potentially causes issues particularly in the summer here and warmer climates. It is supposed to be good for 245 hp but not much more without improving the cooling.

steeve
Bronze Member
Drives: Mk10 GTI+

Post by steeve »

Be wary when tuning the Polo that you dont lose your warranty, the system is able to identify changes.
jylydesign
Getting There!

Post by jylydesign »

Yes I'm well aware of the pros and cons, had two previous tuning boxes on other cars. The JB4 is one of the best and has ability to delete error codes if necessary

Hauki
New
Drives: 2019 gti

Post by Hauki »

No. Turbo is Continental raax.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l