GTI engine specs

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Hauki
New
Drives: 2019 gti

Re: GTI engine specs

Post by Hauki »

jylydesign wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:02 pm It's an IS20.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
No. Turbo is Continental raax.

https://youtu.be/lKPLqNUZWog
Poachersun
New
Drives: 2018 POLO GTI

Post by Poachersun »

Hauki wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:55 pm
jylydesign wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:02 pm It's an IS20.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
No. Turbo is Continental raax.

https://youtu.be/lKPLqNUZWog
where did you find this information? Indications show it's a very good efficient design. Have been trying to research as much info as i can on the EA8883b and turbo so i know (once my warranty is up) what mods i can do (intercooler exhaust etc) to get some more power out
fazzy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi++/TT/TDi/190E

Post by fazzy »

I reckon I can confirm that the turbo installed is not a Continental raax, but as we originally established that it’s the IS20.
Attachments
523C8619-7E8C-4880-9DC3-5590DC7DF30E.jpeg
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

fazzy wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:38 pm I reckon I can confirm that the turbo installed is not a Continental raax, but as we originally established that it’s the IS20.
Just checked my 2018 pre-WLTP GTI+ and it's also got an IS20. Couldn't tell you what the new one has as the wife left it at work today to embark on a cocktail making "team building" exercise in an expensive Newcastle bar - my company wouldn't even buy me a lemonade!
fazzy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi++/TT/TDi/190E

Post by fazzy »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:25 pm
Just checked my 2018 pre-WLTP GTI+ and it's also got an IS20. Couldn't tell you what the new one has as the wife left it at work today to embark on a cocktail making "team building" exercise in an expensive Newcastle bar - my company wouldn't even buy me a lemonade!
Well, mine is June 2019 and that is what's sitting under the bonnet, so I reckon most if not all are running the IS20... which will make life so much easier in the future :)
Since you have a pre-WLTP model, can you take a picture of the tyre pressure sticker on your car, just to compare if that has changed in the latter cars?
Rosinfield
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 AW GTI

Post by Rosinfield »

I'm also interested in a stage 1 remap now the ECU finally seems to be flashable. However due to someone's reaction on a German forum, I started doubting. Maybe some of you can make some sensible remarks about these concerns. The point being made, is that the Miller motor used in the Polo AW GTI would be already close to it's thermic limits. Consequently chiptuning (without hardware adjustments) would seem to be Russian roulette. I am not at all technically schooled enough to judge this, but on the other hand I can't imagine reliable chiptuners would start doing it when this assertion were true. Any thoughts?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Rosinfield wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:08 am I'm also interested in a stage 1 remap now the ECU finally seems to be flashable. However due to someone's reaction on a German forum, I started doubting. Maybe some of you can make some sensible remarks about these concerns. The point being made, is that the Miller motor used in the Polo AW GTI would be already close to it's thermic limits. Consequently chiptuning (without hardware adjustments) would seem to be Russian roulette. I am not at all technically schooled enough to judge this, but on the other hand I can't imagine reliable chiptuners would start doing it when this assertion were true. Any thoughts?
Not having seen this German discussion, what do you mean by thermic limits? Any chance of posting a link?

Are you talking about the intercooler, which is thought to be only good to get you to 250ps? Or is there some other consideration possibly the thermodynamics of the Miller cycle that can't be pushed much further with current hardware?
Rosinfield
Bronze Member

Post by Rosinfield »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:02 am Not having seen this German discussion, what do you mean by thermic limits? Any chance of posting a link?
Are you talking about the intercooler, which is thought to be only good to get you to 250ps? Or is there some other consideration possibly the thermodynamics of the Miller cycle that can't be pushed much further with current hardware?
Here's the link, @monkeyhanger. I'm referring to what dauntless says on the last page. I noticed a similar discussion somewhere in the beginning of this thread, where he states something in a similar vein.
https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/chiptun ... ml?page=14
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Rosinfield wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:12 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:02 am Not having seen this German discussion, what do you mean by thermic limits? Any chance of posting a link?
Here's the link, @monkeyhanger. I'm referring to what dauntless says on the last page. I noticed a similar discussion somewhere in the beginning of this thread, where he states something in a similar vein.
https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/chiptun ... ml?page=14
The Dauntless quotes?

There doesn't seem anything specifically technical in his responses. Just saying Miller (Budak) cycle can't cope with more power without saying why isn't a reason.

My understanding of the Miller cycle is that under low loads, on the air/fuel intake part of the compression cycle, the intake valve closes early, and we get a higher compression ratio of a weaker air/fuel mix. As a result, under low loads, the engine is more efficient. Under higher loads, the engine operates like a traditional petrol
Engine, a cam adjusts the valve opening to normal and the compression ratio drops to 9.6:1 because if you maintained the higher compression ratio with large amounts of fuel. Overall, ave fuel economy (based on test cycle to determine low/high load weighting) is only up 8%.

If you map your car, it'll still operate under Miller cycle conditions during low load and normal operations under high load.

The only way in which I could perceive any engine damage happening is if the engine tried to operate under low load compression ratio with high load fuelling and knock control not kicking in to suppress pinking causing

You'd have to know by what means the low/high load switchover happens, and whether a box or remap could cause it to happen at a different threshold.and cause piston crown damage.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rosinfield
Bronze Member

Post by Rosinfield »

Thanks @monkeyhanger!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I'd love to know the load threshold for the switchover from Budack cycle to normal (Otto) cycle. If we knew that then if we had the will to, we could see good economical gains, but maybe we'd have to stick to a crazy low cruising speed to do it.

I got my terminology mixed up earlier - Miller cycle is exact opposite of Budack cycle - greater valve opening and lower effective compression ratio at high load situations for more power.

Reading up a little more:-

Improved engine management system that uses four microcontrollers to control valve lift and duration, which has the effect of producing seamless transitions between Budack -, and Otto Cycle engine operation.

Ok, it seems then, from my understanding, that the remap/tuning box needs to let the engine management system maintain that changeover threshold from low load to high load, wherever it currently is, and then only enhance the high load performance, only chucking in extra fuel to below the threshold that pinking would occur under the normal load compression ratio.
Rosinfield
Bronze Member

Post by Rosinfield »

In the meantime my GTI was remapped (engine and DSG). Very satisfied with the results (around 265 Hp/430 Nm estimated). Where there was a standstill before, it keeps on going. And what I like about this 2 cycle engine, is that it's still perfectly possible to drive in a relaxed way. As long as not much is asked, that's ok. But when power is asked for, it's there. And how. DSG drives a lot better with later gear changes in D and earlier ones in S.
pressplay
New
Drives: vw polo gti

Post by pressplay »

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

pressplay wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:51 am 316bhp, 317lb ft
Stage 3+

http://www.polodriver.com/tuning/siemon ... bhp-punch/
Stage 1 makes sense- seems like you're getting a remap that is within the realms of what the stock hardware (intercooler seems the first limiting factor) can comfortably handle. Stage 3 is crazy money though - might as well buy a Golf R and spend £500 renapping that to circa 370ps.