Ports used by VW South Africa

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Ports used by VW South Africa

Post by barrywi »

Is Port Elizabeth the only port used to export Polos ? I have noticed 3 vehicle carriers in Durban today .
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Ports used by VW South Africa

Post by RUM4MO »

I think so, you would need to see who is building cars/pickups/trucks/buses round about Durban, but SA is one the main road vehicle building countries in the world now it seems, Ford are probably big over there and others.

Edit:- though common sense might suggest that not having the option to ship in/out via another port "locally" is not the best situation to be in.

Humorous(maybe) comment:- maybe Port Liz is suffering strikes as well as the Polo factory?
camerar1
New
Drives: 2010 SEL 105PS, ordered 2018 SEL 115PS

Post by camerar1 »

'Capricornus Leader' is in Port Elizabeth just now, and will sail for Vigo shortly
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/de ... S%20LEADER

This is likely to be a VW run to Europe, my 2010 Polo came this way, sailing on from Vigo to Emden /Bremerhaven.

I am interested because my order (an SEL) just flipped today from build to in-transit status.

Confusingly my dealer just left me a message to say that my car is in the UK - it could be he may have another vehicle for me, will understand more next week. It could just be information confusion, and I am ready to wait until July.

I cannot track down all of the schedules, 'Carmen' is bound for Australia, and 'Asian Emperor' headed earlier in similar direction. Don't know where for 'Galaxy Ace', but 'Pleiades Spirit' is managed by Nissan and seems unlikely as a candidate.
brainbow
Bronze Member
Drives: 72 Plate Facelift GTI

Post by brainbow »

Mine arrived in the U.K. last night.

It took 18 days on the SA Port Elizabeth to Emden run and stopped briefly at Vigo in Spain so that looks likely to be the right ship. Fingers crossed for you.

Mines just the R-Line but really looking forward to it.
john-k
New
Drives: Polo SEL AW

Post by john-k »

camerar1 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:20 pm 'Capricornus Leader' is in Port Elizabeth just now, and will sail for Vigo shortly

This is likely to be a VW run to Europe, my 2010 Polo came this way, sailing on from Vigo to Emden /Bremerhaven.

I am interested because my order (an SEL) just flipped today from build to in-transit status.

Confusingly my dealer just left me a message to say that my car is in the UK - it could be he may have another vehicle for me, will understand more next week. It could just be information confusion, and I am ready to wait until July.

I cannot track down all of the schedules, 'Carmen' is bound for Australia, and 'Asian Emperor' headed earlier in similar direction. Don't know where for 'Galaxy Ace', but 'Pleiades Spirit' is managed by Nissan and seems unlikely as a candidate.
My order has also done the same today, might just be on the same shipment as yours....it's been flipping 5 months I've waited now. fingers crossed
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

john-k wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:05 pm
camerar1 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:20 pm 'Capricornus Leader' is in Port Elizabeth just now, and will sail for Vigo shortly

My order has also done the same today, might just be on the same shipment as yours....it's been flipping 5 months I've waited now. fingers crossed
My car was built last week and has moved to ‘In Transit’ today too. And the Capricornus Leader has just got underway...
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

My ship tracker did not show that ship at port Elizabeth, I will download the one you are using. Looks like my car literally missed the boat!
camerar1
New

Post by camerar1 »

I would be more hopeful that the tracker changed when the cars were on the boat - "job done" :-)

Given the level of interest in wk 21 build, I have the impression that the build was intended for the ship. We shall see.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Going back to the first post by "Barrywi", what site (ship tracker) are you using to find out that there was three ships in Port Elizabeth?
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

OK, sorry about my previous post, I just found "Ship tracker" and found Port Elizabeth, today there are no ships in Port Elizabeth. How many ships dock in Port Elizabeth for VW, how many ships in total do VW have for the Polo run?
roywolfey
Silver Member

Post by roywolfey »

silverhairs wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:35 pm OK, sorry about my previous post, I just found "Ship tracker" and found Port Elizabeth, today there are no ships in Port Elizabeth. How many ships dock in Port Elizabeth for VW, how many ships in total do VW have for the Polo run?
Yes there are. 😉
The Bangkok Highway is currently moored in Port Elizabeth. There’s a chance that this will be doing a VW run to Europe....
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/de ... %20HIGHWAY
Last edited by roywolfey on Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

PLEIADES SPIRIT is also just outside the port and waiting to dock as well.
roywolfey
Silver Member

Post by roywolfey »

Looks like the GALAXY ACE is due in port too.
camerar1
New

Post by camerar1 »

'Capricornus Leader' is currently in the English Channel.

http://www.nykroro.com/documents/RTW-AFCON/RTWwk24.pdf shows the schedule is for Emden on Saturday 23rd.
roywolfey
Silver Member

Post by roywolfey »

camerar1 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:03 pm 'Capricornus Leader' is currently in the English Channel.

http://www.nykroro.com/documents/RTW-AFCON/RTWwk24.pdf shows the schedule is for Emden on Saturday 23rd.
Good find. Fingers crossed for a quick turn around from Emden to UK. :D