Jeremy Clarkson and Binky Felstead plus GTI.

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Jeremy Clarkson and Binky Felstead plus GTI.

Post by barrywi »

Just scanning the Daily Mail electronic free news app for Sunday and surprised to see pictures and video of Jeremy Clarkson helping Binky Felstead( Who?) change the wheel of her " Golf GTI" they say. Several strange things noticed . Firstly it is a Polo GTI with Brescia wheels and German Wolfsburg numberplates in metallic grey. Secondly , does the GTI Polo come with a full size spare wheel? Thirdly ,why were photographers and camera crew there? Fourthly , why would anyone ask Jeremy Clarkson to change their wheel , he is not exactly the most technically adept mechanic.
Looks like a setup to me but I cannot work out why she was driving what could be a German reg press demo car .
Just noticed no Polo badge on the rear either ,just GTI, is that correct?
barrywi
Gold Member

Re: Jeremy Clarkson and Binky Felstead plus GTI.

Post by barrywi »

Should have read to the bottom of the item! It explains that the pair were filming a programme at the location but does not answer my other queries.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Just looked at it. Here’s a link;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -tyre.html

Daily Mail must’ve been really struggling to report newsworthy items. Do you really need 49 pictures to show a ‘celeb’ attempting to change a wheel?

Not certain if the Polo comes with a full size spare in some countries. If it does, on the basis of cost it’s highly unlikely to be an alloy - more likely a steel wheel. With the Polo GTI, as the battery sits in the bottom of the spare wheel, pretty certain the space available for the spare wheel wouldn’t accommodate a full size wheel.

Agree with you on Jeremy Clarkson’s likely abilities to change a wheel. He’s probably the last person I’d ask.

And yes, VW cars under their GTI brand (Golf, up! and Polo) just wear a GTI badge; no model badge.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

But what about the Wolfsburg ( VW HQ) rear plate shown on one photo, very strange.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

barrywi wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:04 am But what about the Wolfsburg ( VW HQ) rear plate shown on one photo, very strange.
It’s s LHD car, which would explain the German plates. You can see the position of the steering wheel through the windscreen, and the windscreen wipers are positioned for a LHD car. Assume the car was shipped in specifically for the filming, due to short supply of RHD versions in the UK.

Aside from Daily Mail referring to the car as a Golf, they’ve referred to it as a ‘GT’ in the section before the first picture, rather than a GTI. Daily Mail couldn’t even get that right!
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Rubbing salt into our wounds for sure.
The article should have gone onto say you're likely to need the patience of a saint if you are considering ordering one.
Personally I still think the styling is not quite right. I'll never like the plastic bonnet lip, cheapens the car, and I'm afraid the back end at times and from some angles looks more like a 1975 Austin Allegro (younger viewers feel free to google).

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

A non story if ever there was one. Should have been titled Beauty and the Beast.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

SRGTD wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:54 am Just looked at it. Here’s a link;

Daily Mail must’ve been really struggling to report newsworthy items. Do you really need 49 pictures to show a ‘celeb’ attempting to change a wheel?

Not certain if the Polo comes with a full size spare in some countries. If it does, on the basis of cost it’s highly unlikely to be an alloy - more likely a steel wheel. With the Polo GTI, as the battery sits in the bottom of the spare wheel, pretty certain the space available for the spare wheel wouldn’t accommodate a full size wheel.

Agree with you on Jeremy Clarkson’s likely abilities to change a wheel. He’s probably the last person I’d ask.

And yes, VW cars under their GTI brand (Golf, up! and Polo) just wear a GTI badge; no model badge.
Full size alloy in my 2018 Polo SEL.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

johnpolo2 wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:02 am Rubbing salt into our wounds for sure.
The article should have gone onto say you're likely to need the patience of a saint if you are considering ordering one.
Personally I still think the styling is not quite right. I'll never like the plastic bonnet lip, cheapens the car, and I'm afraid the back end at times and from some angles looks more like a 1975 Austin Allegro (younger viewers feel free to google).

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk
Good things come to those who wait johnpolo2. It’s the length of the wait that’s a bit of a joke though.

I remember the Allego well - horrible car (IMO of course). British Leyland used to make a big thing of the ‘square’ steering wheel they fitted to it. The Vanden Plas model with its upright, pretend Rolls Royce grill looked truly hideous.

I know what you mean about certain styling features. The plastic bonnet lip doesn’t bother me, and I hadn’t thought of the rear looking like an Allegro from some angles until you mentioned it. Now I’ll probably always think that now :lol:. I still think it’s a much nicer, more cohesive design than the current Ford Fiesta.

The one thing I wish VW would change is to stop forcing diamond cut alloys wheels upon its customers of their cars that wear the GTI badge. I dislike diamond cut wheels with a passion as they’re usually just a whiteworm timebomb just waiting to happen, and expensive to refurbish.
albob
Bronze Member
Drives: BlueGT

Post by albob »

Bink Felstead - Posh rich girl, surprised she didn't just get the Butler to change the wheel..... ;)
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

mike sel wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:17 am

Interesting......the price list (page eight) states the spare on the SEL is a steel space saver.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

mike sel wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:17 am

Problem is the GTI has the battery under the boot floor so no room for full size spare.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

barrywi wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:04 am But what about the Wolfsburg ( VW HQ) rear plate shown on one photo, very strange.
One of the launch / Press cars. You can see more of it here..

https://youtu.be/cBfeD8KNKes

;)
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

More footage of Clarkson’s London trip featuring one of the German Press cars here:

https://youtu.be/Kcf2b3Dhsy0
Attachments
3A938DA8-F0AE-4436-9FF7-CF816CA06C4C.png
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Well, Clarkson making a statement really I suppose, he is never too reserved to do that, plus VW is a "car for the people"? (I think Adolf said that was the plan a long time ago)