2018 Polo Armrest

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MattB911
New
Drives: GTI

2018 Polo Armrest

Post by MattB911 »

Hello,

I have ordered a new Polo GTI through my lease scheme at work. I was looking through the brochure and have found that it doesn't come with an armrest! Does anybody know of anywhere that sells aftermarket armrests for the new Polo?

Thanks,

Matt
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Re: 2018 Polo Armrest

Post by roywolfey »

The Polo GTI Plus comes with an armrest. A solution could be to order the parts for this.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

An armrest wasn’t fitted as standard in the previous model Polo GTI and VW never offered one as an official aftermarket accessory even though an armrest was fitted to other previous generation Polo models as standard (the SEL had one) so I wouldn’t be surprised if the situation will be the same with the new Polo.

However, decent copies of the genuine article for the previous model Polo are available on line - can’t see any for the current Polo though, so suggest you either;

- check with your local VW dealer to see if one is or will be available.
- periodically do a search on line to see if anyone else is making them to fit the new Polo.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

As an aside, is an arm rest really a good idea? I can think of two occasions when my car skidded, and the fact that both hands were on the steering wheel is probably the main reason I corrected the skid and did not come off the road. One skid was at a modest speed, due to poor new tyres which were replaced ASAP with decent ones. Advanced driving organisations teach two hands on the wheel. I see a lot of people with one arm draped over the top of the wheel. Young men often do this while slouching to one side. All rather odd.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

If you must have an armrest, you can order parts to get one built/fitted, as you know some variants come with it. It's an expensive way to do it - i'd estimate around £150 going off previous builds.

I did this with my old Scirocco when the MK6 Golf had a nice slidey cover on the handbrake housing and the Scirocco had a cheap moulded hole for 2 cups to fit in (rather like the new Polo has). I bought the parts for the golf set-up and fitted it.

The armrests look nice enough, but are impractical in use when they extend over a manual handbrake lever.

I do prefer an upright seating position rather than the slouchy position Leif describes - some people look like they're on a sunlounger when driving with the backrest set ridiculously wound back.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Had an armrest in my mk5 and mk6 Golfs. Never used it as an armrest as I like to keep both hands on the wheel. I only used the small storage cubby under the hinged armrest lid, which because of its size, was only useful for small objects.

The arm rest in the previous model (6c/6r) Polo was an old design - very similar, if not the same as the armrest in the mk4 Golf. In the 6c/6r Polo, it can obstruct use of the handbrake, so many owners push it back out of the way in the vertical position between the front seat back rests, so it effectively becomes redundant. This is the main reason I didn’t spec it in my current (previous generation) Polo GTI.

Personally, I wouldn’t miss not having an arm rest if it wasn’t part of a car’s spec.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I always intended to retro fit one to my wife's previous 2002 9N Polo 1.4 SE, but never got round to it, wife made it clear that she was not interested in as she would never use it, I was really only going to fit one as it was possible!

My old 2000 Passat had one, it was always down when I drove the car but the workshop always left it up after service and MOT, it was possible with that car to reach the handbrake, but it did make it slightly harder to operate.

My 2011 Audi S4 has one, and it slides back and forward to suit your seating position - but that car has a horrible electric handbrake, so the arm rest does not cause any issues there.

My wife's current Polo a 2015 SEL obviously has one by default, it does remain in the vertical position as it would be just to annoying to find that it was drop - and you quickly needed to reach the handbrake, now with that car, if I am driving, I usually rest my elbow on the short horizontal area above the arm rest pivot point, that is better than nothing. If I am in the car waiting for my wife to return, ie parked, it is quite handy to drop the armrest and use it, though, with that car, it is hit or miss if the armrest ratcheting action engages when you drop the armrest with the handbrake lever up - it is always okay when the handbrake lever is down! The only problem is that if I am not quick enough, as my wife gets into the car and quickly goes to fit her seat belt - and I lift the armrest while she is doing that it can cause annoyance as it will hit her arm - or anyone else's arm if it is not my wife.

So, yes, still nice to have and improves the look of the car while it is down in position - but can be very annoying at all other times!

Edit:- the storage space inside it is handy for storing Carista dongle and maybe some paper napkins for when you have a quick lunch in the car!
MattB911
New

Post by MattB911 »

Than the for the replies, I currently have an armrest in my Fiesta and have got used to it (I find it comfortable to rest my arm on when motorway driving). I think I'll wait and see if there is any aftermarket ones become available to buy, if not I may try fitting one myself if I can find the parts. If anyone does have dimensions for the centre console and the cubby holes that are in it that would be brilliant and I'd be able to make a start on it now.
MattB911
New

Post by MattB911 »

Anyone who's ordered the standard GTI and is after an Armrest I have seen this one for the Seat Arona that I think will fit. The centre console is pretty much the same as the new Polo and looking at the fitting it appears to be able to fit. I will be ordering the armrest when the car arrives and I'll let you know if it fits.

Here's the link if anyone is interested http://www.seataccesoriescatalogue.net/ ... /1558/4252
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

My SEL comes with an arm rest as standard. Its extendable, it annoyingly is not variable in height so if your tall like me your arm never gets down that low whilst keeping two hands on the wheel (20 too 20 past). The arm rest gets in the way of the handbrake when extended. It does cover a small storage box with a reasonable looking material covered lid and when im sitting waiting for my better half too run around the local Tesco express I can sit there and lean on the arm rest while watching a podcast or three.
jbGTI
New

Post by jbGTI »

To note, to the guys that have an arm rest on their Polos.

You have an option to extend the arm rest forward so as it almost sits above the handbrake, here in South Africa, a local sales person mentioned to me that when extending the arm rest forward, it does know keep a staright angel and almost points down slightly, which is actually a build fault, any users experience the same issue?
MattB911
New

Post by MattB911 »

Just had an email from Armster and they now have 2018 Polo armrests available if anyone is interested.

https://www.armster.co.uk/shop/vw-polo- ... -s-armrest

https://www.armster.co.uk/shop/vw-polo- ... -2-armrest
TElwoody
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo 2018

Post by TElwoody »

MattB911 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:58 pm Just had an email from Armster and they now have 2018 Polo armrests available if anyone is interested.

Personally though I'd pay the extra £45 for VW's, won't need to screw into the interior plastics, can be slid back out if the way of the handbrake, looks wider (for two elbows) and is a deeper storage area. Enough for me to prefer over the more expensive of the two.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

TElwoody wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:45 pm
MattB911 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:58 pm Just had an email from Armster and they now have 2018 Polo armrests available if anyone is interested.

Personally though I'd pay the extra £45 for VW's, won't need to screw into the interior plastics, can be slid back out if the way of the handbrake, looks wider (for two elbows) and is a deeper storage area. Enough for me to prefer over the more expensive of the two.
Agree, I’d rather have the VW version. However, if you’ve got a GTI (the non-plus version), it doesn’t have an armrest and strangely, nor is it possible to specify one as a factory fit option. So the Armster version might be popular with GTI owners wanting an armrest.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

I took a look for part number and it should be:

number 17 - 6F0863289
number 24 - 6F0864207

look like easy swap, just take out that tray (16) and bolt in arm rest (nuts should be already there if not it is M6 nut) than push that back cover on
polo_armrest.PNG

//EDIT:

some one at seat forum already did this swap and posted whole list of needed parts:

Code: Select all

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/anyone-ordered-yet.439499/page-10

1 x 6F0863289 82V - Frame Titan Black
1 x 6F0864207 LI8 - Armrest Titan Black
2 x 6F0863513A - Retainer for centre console
2 x N 91079901 - Hex Collared Bolt
2 x N 01508210 - Hexagon Collar Nut