Free insurance

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Free insurance

Post by silverhairs »

Is the free insurance deal only when you have PCP?
Aube
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo SEDSG

Re: Free insurance

Post by Aube »

Hi,

I would say you don’t need to purchase the car on a pcp if I’ve read the T&Cs correctly.

https://www.insurewithvolkswagen.co.uk/polo
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

I bought mine in March, and bought my own insurance. I was never told about any insurance deal.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Just be aware VW insurance won’t protect your no claims. My wife also had issues getting them to put all her no claims on when the insurance finished with her current car. They kept sending documents with one year no claims despite the fact she had ten at the time.

They also won’t insure if you’ve had an accident in last three years. Purely due to the fact they won’t protect your no claims, we are paying for her insurance when her new SE arrives in the next week.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

lancslad1985 wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:06 pm Just be aware VW insurance won’t protect your no claims. My wife also had issues getting them to put all her no claims on when the insurance finished with her current car. They kept sending documents with one year no claims despite the fact she had ten at the time.

They also won’t insure if you’ve had an accident in last three years. Purely due to the fact they won’t protect your no claims, we are paying for her insurance when her new SE arrives in the next week.
Also, to anyone who has taken the 12 months free insurance, whatever you do, ensure you shop around when the free insurance is due for renewal, as the renewal price for the second year’s cover is likely to be astronomically high - often the case with these free insurance arrangements. You’ll almost certainly find a better (lower) price if you spend a little time shopping around.

I also didn’t take the first year’s free VW insurance (not available on the current GTI/GTI+ but it was offered on the GTI when I bought my car in 2016) as I was aware you couldn’t protect your no claims discount.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

SRGTD wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:25 pm
lancslad1985 wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:06 pm Just be aware VW insurance won’t protect your no claims. My wife also had issues getting them to put all her no claims on when the insurance finished with her current car. They kept sending documents with one year no claims despite the fact she had ten at the time.

Also, to anyone who has taken the 12 months free insurance, whatever you do, ensure you shop around when the free insurance is due for renewal, as the renewal price for the second year’s cover is likely to be astronomically high - often the case with these free insurance arrangements. You’ll almost certainly find a better (lower) price if you spend a little time shopping around.

I also didn’t take the first year’s free VW insurance (not available on the current GTI/GTI+ but it was offered on the GTI when I bought my car in 2016) as I was aware you couldn’t protect your no claims discount.
Unfortunately we did. It all got sorted in the end and she kept all her no claims but it was one hell of a pain. You’re right about the renewal too - despite no accident they wanted 2.5 times her normal insurance cost.....
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

Leif wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:20 pm I bought mine in March, and bought my own insurance. I was never told about any insurance deal.
Got my Polo SEL 115 DSG in June and snap. not told about the insurance deal. I knew about it and did not push it because my Churchill insurance is only just over £250 a year including legal, breakdown, most importantly (and NOT available through the VW insurance) my protected no claims.

I contacted Churchill and the insurance premium for the POLO was less then the Nissan note I was driving before.

TBH for the sake of saving a one off £250 quid and risking a car park crunch (you know the one when you get back to the car someone, who left no contact details, has reversed into your parked car thus causing you to claim and the insurance to put it down to "no blame" and costing you your no claims discount) I would rather stick to my insurance.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

I don’t have protected NCB. It’s only £220, but still. Nearly bought RAC, found out by accident it’s included. Maybe not telling is deliberate to save money?
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Many thanks for the above information from the members. In reality the VW free insurance is a bit of a damp squid, you think your saving yourself a full years insurance, but this half baked policy could cause you more trouble than it's worth.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

silverhairs wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:14 am Many thanks for the above information from the members. In reality the VW free insurance is a bit of a damp squid, you think your saving yourself a full years insurance, but this half baked policy could cause you more trouble than it's worth.
I don’t think the policy cover is half baked - the cover you get is on a par with what most car insurance policies provide. You just need to be aware of the implications of taking the free insurance cover;
  • you can’t protect your no claims discount, so if this is important to you, then the free insurance may not be for you.
  • you’ll probably be quoted an horrendously high premium at first renewal. Nothing is really ‘free’, so there’s probably a process in place to recover the cost of providing a year’s free cover by loading up the renewal prices. To anyone who does take the cover, ensure you shop around at renewal time to see how the VW renewal price compares to other insurer prices.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Anyone who takes out an insurance policy without protective NCD, is just trying to save a couple of bob and risking a lot. I have protective NCB and I've gone over 10 years without a scrape, or any points on my license :D
But you bet If I had VW free insurance I'd be the unlucky one to have a bump :x
Somewhere in another post they got cheaper insurance on their Polo than on their Nissan Note, I've got a 2011 Note 1.5 diesel at the moment and the last quote last month (and I've got everything covered) was just over £200.00 for me and the Mrs, now I'm expecting a small rise in premium due to having the SEL 115HP over the 90 HP Note.
Due to the dealer giving a stupid PX price I'm giving it too one of my grand daughters, one little problem, how Do I get my Note to her when I've just insured the Polo, I rang up the insurance company and they said I could extend the Note policy for an extra two weeks while having the Polo insured, of cause for a small charge. So the Mrs can drive the Note while I follow in the Polo :D
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

silverhairs wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:46 pm
I've got a 2011 Note 1.5 diesel at the moment and the last quote last month (and I've got everything covered) was just over £200.00 for me and the Mrs, now I'm expecting a small rise in premium due to having the SEL 115HP over the 90 HP Note.
Your premium may, but won't necessarily, increase. Insurer premium calculation algorithms are highly complex these days and use a multitude of risk factors that interact with one another, and engine bhp will be just one risk factor used. So if certain risk factors represent less of a risk with the Polo than the Note (e.g. if the Polo has better active and passive safety features) then the overall effect on your premium could be a reduction.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Your correct there "SRGTD", when I was asking about insuring the Polo they did ask if it had something like front assist, which I will have, so that means a less likelihood of hitting another car in the rear.
I know when at a roundabout and your second in line and you should wait till the car in front has moved off before even attempting to move off yourself, but at a busy roundabout and the guy in front has enough space to pull out in a 40 ton lorry, you see him move off, you think he's gone and looking right yourself, you give a small glance in front and he's just gone 5 yards and stopped again :x that's when the City emergency braking come in :D
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

silverhairs wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:17 pm Your correct there "SRGTD", when I was asking about insuring the Polo they did ask if it had something like front assist, which I will have, so that means a less likelihood of hitting another car in the rear.
I know when at a roundabout and your second in line and you should wait till the car in front has moved off before even attempting to move off yourself, but at a busy roundabout and the guy in front has enough space to pull out in a 40 ton lorry, you see him move off, you think he's gone and looking right yourself, you give a small glance in front and he's just gone 5 yards and stopped again :x that's when the City emergency braking come in :D
I hear you there sir. Got that tee shirt.