Volkswagen Polo 2019 in-depth review - third party

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
ag69
Silver Member
Drives: 1.2TSi 77Kw 7DSG

Volkswagen Polo 2019 in-depth review - third party

Post by ag69 »

Hi All,

Could not locate appropriate thread to post this. so opening a new thread.
<Please feel free to move it to other thread if required>

carwow - mat watson review on new polo.
Fast forward to 9:32 and he says "Buy" it.
Very few cars have got this recommendation in his review.

albob
Bronze Member
Drives: BlueGT

Re: Volkswagen Polo 2019 in-depth review - third party

Post by albob »

and at 6.25 he says "You can get the Polo with adjustable suspension" :: there has been some discussion elsewhere if this is actually available …!?!
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

albob wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:46 pm and at 6.25 he says "You can get the Polo with adjustable suspension" :: there has been some discussion elsewhere if this is actually available …!?!
Velodyne1200 confirmed it was fitted to his in the GTI and GTI Plus owners experiences thread:

https://uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?f=71 ... 1&start=30
albob
Bronze Member

Post by albob »

Thanks for the link... Good to know
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

I like that review. Not sure why they reviewed it again. I agree that the cup holders are not so good. One thing I dislike is the VW reverse. More than a few times I’ve gone backwards when I expected to go forwards. I took some advanced driving lessons which taught me to have a firm grasp on the gear knob. It needs a safety locking mechanism as per the old Vauxhall Corsa for example. Safety should be designed in. I agree that it feels like a bigger car, and yet in some ways like a smaller car! The small bonnet he,ps.

Interesting that he says it makes you smile but not grin. What would it need to make you grin?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Leif wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:36 pm Interesting that he says it makes you smile but not grin. What would it need to make you grin?
A GTI badge on the grille and tailgate? 😄
albob
Bronze Member

Post by albob »

"What would it need to make you grin?..."

A 1.5 evo engine (or even the older 1.4 ACT....!)
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

albob wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:52 pm "What would it need to make you grin?..."

A 1.5 evo engine (or even the older 1.4 ACT....!)
So basically he means that the performance is too mild to make you grin? Fair enough.

I often wonder what reviewers mean. The often say the Fiesta is more fun, and yet when I drove many nearly new examples 6-10 years ago, I was underwhelmed, and could not figure out what they saw.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Leif wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:36 pm One thing I dislike is the VW reverse. More than a few times I’ve gone backwards when I expected to go forwards. I took some advanced driving lessons which taught me to have a firm grasp on the gear knob. It needs a safety locking mechanism as per the old Vauxhall Corsa for example.
So is the gear selection tricky, short throw, whatever ? Expected Polo (manual) gear selection to be like a Golf i.e. 1st: push lever forward, reverse: move lever over to the left and push down. Really shouldn't be a problem going for 1st, or any forward gear, and finding reverse instead.....
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

First gear and reverse are both top left, or forward left. To get reverse you push it down while selecting. I got reverse by mistake twice yesterday!
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

@Leif; I’ve had 4 VW’s with manual gearboxes and had a number of Vauxhalls prior to that, so can relate to Vauxhall’s locking mechanism you’ve referred to. However, I never had any issues with inadvertently selecting reverse when switching from
Vauxhall to VW.

It seems as if using a firm grasp is resulting in you inadvertently pushing down on the lever when you move it left and up to select first, so you’re actually moving it further left than you need to and selecting reverse as a result. Perhaps you need to have less of a firm grasp as I find you only need to use a light action to select gears with a VW manual gearbox, so no firm grasp is required.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ I did that just once with my Golf R, as it had an extremely stiff and notchy gearbox when new. I was so relieved that there wax no-one to the side of me or behind me when I pulled away from that roundabout, going 4 feet backwards instead of forwards!
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:35 am It seems as if using a firm grasp is resulting in you inadvertently pushing down on the lever when you move it left and up to select first, so you’re actually moving it further left than you need to and selecting reverse as a result. Perhaps you need to have less of a firm grasp as I find you only need to use a light action to select gears with a VW manual gearbox, so no firm grasp is required.
Clearly that is the answer, but advanced driving lessons taught me to use a firm grasp (to ensure full control), and it's now an ingrained habit. Obviously I am working on 'correcting' this habit, but I don't like it, it's a bad design IMO. Safety should be designed in.

As an aside, the emergency braking alarm went off yet again today, and this time it applied the brakes, but only for a fraction of a second. Nothing was in front of the car. Both times it has braked, I was cornering. It regularly goes off without applying the brakes. It's a safety hazard.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Leif wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:05 am As an aside, the emergency braking alarm went off yet again today, and this time it applied the brakes, but only for a fraction of a second. Nothing was in front of the car. Both times it has braked, I was cornering. It regularly goes off without applying the brakes. It's a safety hazard.
if, as you’ve found, the emergency braking activates when there’s no apparent reason for it to do so, then that suggests there may either be an issue with it or it’s been calibrated too sensitively.

If it isn’t possible to;
a) adjust the alarm to warn you sooner so you can lightly touch the brakes to prevent the car from emergency braking
or
b) if there isn’t a sensitivity setting that you can adjust in the car settings via the infotainment screen
I think I’d be going back to the dealer or contacting them to see if there’s a way they can adjust it to eliminate these false alarms.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I’ve had the emergency braking in my last few cars and there’s certain corners where it sometimes sets the alarm off. Seems to be worse in winter when my headlights are reflecting off a cornering sign. The car thinks you’re going to go straight off road it seems and it’s a bug with all these emergency braking systems for all the manufacturers.

I don’t know about the new polo as ours doesn’t arrive until the weekend, but on my golf and my previous two cars you could adjust the sensitivity. Mine is now at the lowest setting and rarely goes off and hasn’t braked for me bar once when someone pulled out last minute.