New Polo Price list effective 06062018 - observations

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

New Polo Price list effective 06062018 - observations

Post by roywolfey »

Compared to previous price list:
  • Price Models increased across range
  • Vanity Mirrors illuminated standard on S (Previously SE)
  • Wireless Charging Dropped
  • Option to buy extended Warranty dropped
  • Change in Price on some accessories
  • More info on VED and BIK rates
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: New Polo Price list effective 06062018 - observations

Post by SRGTD »

Interesting that the option to extend the factory warranty to 4 or 5 years has been dropped. It’s been removed from the configurator too, so it’s not an error with the price list omitting this. Not an issue for many people who keep their cars no more than 3 years from new, but could be an issue for people who keep their cars longer than this and have valued having the full factory warranty for 4 or 5 years, especially with all the tech that’s now built into cars that’ll likely be costly to repair/replace if it fails after year 3.

VW do still offer an extended warranty product that you can purchase when your car get to 3 years old, when the 3 year factory warranty expires. It won’t be as comprehensive as the previous extended factory warranty option that you could previously spec at the time you ordered your new car, as it’ll effectively be an electrical and mechanical breakdown insurance. It’ll probably cost more too if you choose the ‘all component’ level of cover wth a nil excess.

Hopefully the decision to remove the extended factory warranty option doesn’t mean VW are using cheaper, lower quality components with a potentially higher failure rate, that would’ve cost VW more in extended factory warranty claims in years 4 & 5.......🤔. Or do they anticipate a high failure rate beyond year 3 of some of the tech they’re now building into their products?
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

They would do the warranty if it was profitable, so they must have decided either that it won’t be profitable or that the risk is too high. The only reason I can see them having changed their mind is that they have seen more faults than expected. My windscreen wipers failed in the first few weeks, and the emergency braking is flaky. It regularly lights up when there are no cars in front, and has once applied the brakes.
albob
Bronze Member
Drives: BlueGT

Post by albob »

It seems that the warranty extension has been dropped across all of VW products not just the Polo (only checked the current Golf brochure tho'..)
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

albob wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:54 pm It seems that the warranty extension has been dropped across all of VW products not just the Polo (only checked the current Golf brochure tho'..)
Yes, I also checked the Golf price list and the configurator for the Golf, and if the position with the Polo and Golf are representative of the whole VW range, it does seem as if the factory warranty extension has been dropped altogether. Strangely, Audi, Skoda and Seat all still offer a warranty extension, unless their websites haven’t been updated yet to follow VW’s stance.

I do hope this move isn’t an indication of VW cutting costs by reducing the quality and durability of parts, and in so doing, don’t feel they can offer an extended factory warranty beyond 3 years any more ☹️.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Is this the time to jump to Kia, or its owner company, VW Group must know that changing the warranty in that way does ring alarm bells.

Though, as I am also on a Skoda forum to get better technical info/support for Polos, I do see that Skoda do offer the world as far as warranty is concerned and duck and dive when claims are made, so maybe VW are just moving forward by taking this warranty change step? The only "no quibble" issue with Skoda is still the 1.4 Twin Charger, like the 2.0TFSI is for Audi.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:34 pm
albob wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:54 pm It seems that the warranty extension has been dropped across all of VW products not just the Polo (only checked the current Golf brochure tho'..)
Yes, I also checked the Golf price list and the configurator for the Golf, and if the position with the Polo and Golf are representative of the whole VW range, it does seem as if the factory warranty extension has been dropped altogether. Strangely, Audi, Skoda and Seat all still offer a warranty extension, unless their websites haven’t been updated yet to follow VW’s stance.

I do hope this move isn’t an indication of VW cutting costs by reducing the quality and durability of parts, and in so doing, don’t feel they can offer an extended factory warranty beyond 3 years any more ☹️.
I know VW are only middle ranking in reliability surveys, but they do last longer than many makes, and they feel solidly put together. That is a key reason why I bought VW. I’m sure any reduction in the engineering quality would impact sales badly.

The cynic might wonder if there are known issues with the TFSI engines and DSG gearboxes. Or maybe some sort of defeat device. :lol: As an aside, Mercedes have been caught fitting defeat devices to their cars.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

It isn't looking good for the extended warranty - it is not configurable on the VW website to build your car, and there's now no mention of it on the pricelist. The April brochure is still current though, and does mention it. Perhaps it is something you now have to ask for directly to your dealership? It isn't conclusively unavailable yet. Perhaps VW haven't decided how much it is going to cost with the price rises that have just come in?

To remove availability would seem to undermine confidence in the longevity of VWs, having not been able to trade on reliability claims since the mid 90s, when MK3 Golfs were rusting up prematurely (the worst VWs ever made IMO). VWs aren't particularly reliable within warranty these days, but i'd put a part that failed in year 1 down to a manufacturing defect.

The bean counters are in charge at VW and everywhere else, but there will always be a point at which part reliability vs warranty claims are at odds. The failure of a £2 part can cost VW hundreds in labour to put right under warranty. They will always be incentivised to make reliable cars, but there are considerations to be made where to design a part with a 99.8% reliability rating costs 1/3 of one with 99.99% - sometimes the cheaper overall option is to suffer a few warranty claims. Cars have to do a lot to keep going, operate in -20C to +40C conditions, be waterproof, cope with short and long journeys. How many electrical failures can possibly be attributed to the advent of pressure washers being used to clean cars, firing water at 130 bar to penetrate places that hard rainfall would be stopped by?

I wonder how much an extended warranty is really worth vs goodwill. What are the goodwill parameters? Would someone who's bought 7 VWs previously and has lowish mileage at 3.5 years old be looked at most favourably in terms of parts and labour offerings? Or is everyone treated the same if they don't have ridiculously high mileage? If there is goodwill on offer beyond 3 years (and below 4 years or 50k miles), then will we have much to gain in buying that extended warranty? I would imagine that having a fault at a smidge over 5 years if you have an extended warranty will result in zero goodwill.

I bought the 5 year warranty on both my Golf R and Audi A1, with the intent to keep them both 4 to 4.5 years and then sell privately, but as i'm finding out with looking on wewillbuyyourcar.com, Motorway.co.uk and Tootle, my offered no hassle valuation makes absolutely no provision for having a 5 year warranty as a huge second-hand selling point for the A1. I aim to sell privately, so hope it is worth paying the extra to someone.

Are the likes of Kia any more reliable than VW? I don't think so, the cost of that additional warranty is built into the price. Save for the bare bones sub £10k pensioner wagons that have pretty much no electrical options, the rest of the Kia range have an unremarkable reliability rating.

VW residuals on the performance models are such that it may not even be worth holding onto a car more than 3 years. I got my "£32k" R for £27k new, at 3 years old, a non-lease spec R is worth maybe £21-22K at the dealership, so getting £18k p/x should be achievable. So I've lost £3k a year on it (excluding interest - I bought mine outright to avoid interest). It will likely be worth £15k at 4 years old, and at 5 years old, the franchised dealers have lost interest in it, maybe worth £12k privately. So I have a new car every 3 years and lose £3k a year, or I keep it 5 years and lose £3k a year. Most would keep changing every 3 years. I would have to keep the car 10 years to be seriously better off than not changing regularly, and that is if the car's reliability has been kind to your wallet. The only PITA with changing more regularly is knowing when to order your next car to hit that 3 year point.

I was going to buy a 5 year warranty for the incoming Polo GTI+, but I think i've just convinced myself not to.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

I don’t bother with extended warranties. A manufacturing defect will most likely appear in three years, and I drive carefully which helps. Overall a warranty is like gambling. The seller always wins. However it does protect you from a potentially huge bill due to a design fault for example.

As to car prices, I find buying a small car new beats a four year old used small car. All the parts are new, you know the owner is careful, and if you buy cheaply, it’s no costlier. My previous car, a new VW Up, cost just over £1k a year depreciation, with no unexpected servicing bills over six years. However, prestige cars do depreciate by stupid amounts, and I would not buy new.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Leif wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:20 pm I know VW are only middle ranking in reliability surveys, but they do last longer than many makes, and they feel solidly put together. That is a key reason why I bought VW. I’m sure any reduction in the engineering quality would impact sales badly.

The cynic might wonder if there are known issues with the TFSI engines and DSG gearboxes. Or maybe some sort of defeat device. :lol: As an aside, Mercedes have been caught fitting defeat devices to their cars.
Yes, sort of good news there about M-B, its just a pity we are being kept waiting over any similar news concerning BMW, maybe still time for that?
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

The removal of the Warranty options may be a UK specific change as extended warranties are still available on the German Configurator. :?
Aube
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo SEDSG

Post by Aube »

Hi,

On the VW web site.

How do I extend my Warranty?

All Volkswagen passenger cars come with a three-year/60,000 miles warranty, which protects your car against the failure of most technical and electrical components due to manufacturing defects.
This comprises a two-year manufacturer’s warranty with unlimited mileage plus a further one-year/60,000 miles (whichever is soonest) Retailer Warranty.
Should the mileage exceed 60,000 miles within the first two years, the manufacturer’s two-year warranty will still be valid. Exclusions and terms and conditions apply. Unfortunately, from 05 June 2018 the four and five year factory extended warranty options will no longer available to purchase.
For pricing and further details of Volkswagen Warranties and Service Plans, please consult your authorised Volkswagen retailer or repairer.
Aube
Bronze Member

Post by Aube »

Hi,

A quick check on VW official extended warranty site to compare prices.

2 year factory warranty that’s now discontinued was £500 for the Polo.
1 year VW extended warranty is £399.67 - based on setting this up once the 3 year warranty expires on a 2015 Polo with 29000 miles on the clock, covering annual mileage under15000 per year, no excess and all components covered.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

They're either trying to discourage you from keeping your car longer than 3 years, or perhaps it's costing them too much money fue to poorer than perceived reliability.
Aube
Bronze Member

Post by Aube »

Hi,

Yes I’m sure it’s the former, as the ever growing trend towards a 2 or 3 year PCP makes the extended warranty almost pointless unless you plan to keep the car.