R-line 115

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
joshwills
New
Drives: Polo R-line 115 Manual

Re: R-line 115

Post by joshwills »

So close now, hopefully only a couple more weeks and I’ll be driving it.
Attachments
F54D708B-BC21-4833-9E92-9992C9CA72C3.jpeg
TElwoody
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo 2018

Post by TElwoody »

joshwills wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:11 am So close now, hopefully only a couple more weeks and I’ll be driving it.
I feel the pain and excitement, ours are quite close.

Hopefully not too long
Screenshot_20181003-124303.png
TElwoody
Bronze Member

Post by TElwoody »

joshwills wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:11 am So close now, hopefully only a couple more weeks and I’ll be driving it.
Just a quick question, how did you find out what ship your car was on from Emden to the UK?
joshwills
New

Post by joshwills »

If you go on to live chat on the VW website you can give them your order number and ask them. Got the boat name for when it was coming form SA and now for it’s last stretch to the UK.

TElwoody wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:08 pm
Just a quick question, how did you find out what ship your car was on from Emden to the UK?
Last edited by joshwills on Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kittycat
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 R Line

Post by Kittycat »

mine is the same it’s just sitting at port in Germany.
Hoping it comes to the uk soon
I am hoping since I’m on AL next week it shows up so I can go and collect it. Dealer is 95 miles from home
GolfDriver
New
Drives: On my 5th Golf but tempted by new Polo

Post by GolfDriver »

I'd very much like to know what people think of the performance of the 1.0 115PS engine.

Interested to know if you think it's underpowered in any way.

In case anyone wonders why I'm asking it's because I have a 1.4 TSI Golf and the engine is superb. Not sure if the 1.0 is.

Thanks very much.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

GolfDriver wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:32 pm I'd very much like to know what people think of the performance of the 1.0 115PS engine.

In case anyone wonders why I'm asking it's because I have a 1.4 TSI Golf and the engine is superb. Not sure if the 1.0 is.

Thanks very much.
Been about 7 years since I regularly drove a petrol engine (1.4 Peugeot 207) so difficult to compare but I find the car is ok once it's up and running, just takes a bit of getting going. Coming from a diesel though that might just be because they have much greater lower end power, I just don't recall my older cars needing such a push to get them going.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

GolfDriver wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:32 pm I'd very much like to know what people think of the performance of the 1.0 115PS engine.

Thanks very much.
115 is fine, I got the SEL 115 DSG had it for 4 months now and done 4800 miles with absolutely zero issues. I have in the past had all from new a BMW 330d, a Lexus 220d and a Passatt 175hp 2l d. the only real fast car there was the BMW 330d, and it was quick, apart from a high end sports car there wasn't much on the road to touch it.

Back to the SEL 115 DSG, ok a down size all round. I chose the 115 because it offered 4 x disk breaks and the highest HP capacity engine out side of the GTI and reports said it felt like driving the outgoing 1.4 petrol. I chose the Polo because it was the only car of this size (length I am more worried about) with a big car quality feel about it. I chose SEL because I was not too bothered on external athletics but wanted toys inside. The engine is ok. In sport mode it gets from 0-around 30/40mph plenty quick enough (not seen anyone filling the rear view mirror lets put it that way). on the motorway it sits on the outside lane at the usual speeds for my 3 hour trip to see my son. who knows if in 4 years time i will have a blown 1.0l engine? it could last to 200k miles, who knows. Now if the 1.5 evo was available I would have ordered that in manual. but it just wasn't and still isn't and I had to change my car back in June.

Reason for down sizing ? no kids at home anymore 80% its just me in the car. Reason for not derv? well it looks like war has been declared on dervs (not siding just saying how I perceive the world) I just was not confident that I would be able to run a derv into the likes of London or Southampton in a couple of years time. just 2 or 3 years ago they were the clean practical car of choice, then suddenly they were persona non grata (not saying its right) so who knows in the nest 2 years if a derv will have resale value? also the only derv on offer in the current range was not powerful enough in my view.

My view after 4 months and 4800 miles? its a comfortable place to be, drives well, no power issues, not quick but not slow, great for about town, fine on long trips, keeps up with traffic. I would not take it to a track day but then I have never been to one anyway. o and i don't think you can have fun on the A34 stopping the guy on the inside lane undercutting then cutting in front, the BMW was great for baiting and closing that out.
Klin42
New
Drives: 2018 SEL 115 6Sp

Post by Klin42 »

I have a SEl 115 6spd having come from the previous model SEl with the 1.2 engine and also 6 gears. Mmmmm On paper the cars have near identical BHP but in practice they feel quite different. With the previous car the gear ratios and engine power seemed very well matched and it never felt it was running out of steam, but with the new 1.00 ltr I can't say this is the case. The gearing is a lot higher and I am using the stick a lot more to get the best out of the engine and the DSG would be a good pairing I reckon. 6th in particular seems very high and it often makes the engine grumble much below 45mph and on motorway hills with a load on I often feel the need to drop a cog. The positive side of course is the MPG, on a recent motorway trip I was averaging at least 48 to the gallon. It is quite a brisk car and I am after a couple of months getting used to the different power delivery but still prefer the 1.2. As others have said if the 1.5 were available...
joshwills
New

Post by joshwills »

Looks like my car is going to be sitting at the docks for at least a month now. Bloody WLTP
Attachments
D74B1CF1-DA03-4EF6-BD11-373692663AC2.jpeg
TElwoody
Bronze Member

Post by TElwoody »

joshwills wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:27 pm Looks like my car is going to be sitting at the docks for at least a month now. Bloody WLTP
Just another delay to add to the whole situation. I really feel for you and apologies if this sounds rude but hope that doesn't apply to my car, Its still in Emden as far as i can tell. SE spec 95 engine. Hmmm, im thinking the delay your facing is due to yours being an R line, they tend to push through lower spec cars first.
joshwills
New

Post by joshwills »

I can’t complain to much as the delivery date on my order form is 22nd December. I’ve been very lucky that it has come earlier at all as I know there are people who ordered before me and didn’t have a build week yet.
joshwills
New

Post by joshwills »

My car arrived at the dealer today. I’ve just sent the rest of the money over so I should be collecting on Monday!
TElwoody
Bronze Member

Post by TElwoody »

joshwills wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:18 pm My car arrived at the dealer today. I’ve just sent the rest of the money over so I should be collecting on Monday!
Great news, last few days "Phew". How long did it take roughly for it to go from 'In UK' to 'it's here'?
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

joshwills wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:18 pm My car arrived at the dealer today. I’ve just sent the rest of the money over so I should be collecting on Monday!
let us have a pic or two, and your views on the 115 engine would be good to hear. what gear box?