1000km/641m engine run in

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
brainbow
Bronze Member
Drives: 72 Plate Facelift GTI

1000km/641m engine run in

Post by brainbow »

I’ve read on many forums that VW has a software restriction on engine power until you reach 1000km or circa 641 miles.
With some people claiming a slight increase in performance at this stage.

Does anyone know if this true?

As an aside I asked my VW garage on collection of my Polo, how raptors run in the engine and they said it was done at the factory. I’m still taking it sensible for the moment. Had my car 5 days and clocked just over 300 miles.......
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: 1000km/641m engine run in

Post by SRGTD »

Don’t know for certain if it’s true or not, but it’s been suggested on other VW forums that there could be a running in software map, as owners have noticed a step-change in performance after the first 1,000km / 640miles.

As for running in; lots of debate about the do’s and don’t’s of running in on many forums. After the first 100 miles or so from new when the tyres and brakes need to be run in / bedded in (no hard braking or harsh cornering, unless there’s an emergency avoidance situation), I tend to just drive my car normally. IMO the important considerations during the first 1,000 miles are;
  • not to over-rev or labour the engine in any gear
  • use the gears freely to vary the engine speed and avoid driving at a constant speed/engine rpm for prolonged periods
  • always ensure the engine oil is fully warmed up (90*c) before driving enthusiastically; not just during the first 1,000 miles, but always. I have the oil temperature display permanently showing in the MFD between the speedo and rev counter so I know when it’s up to normal operating temperature
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

There has been a running in program on my last 2 Golfs, it is like domeone gave it a mild remap when it hits 620miles/1000km.

Also, power is restricted until the oil temp reaches 60C. These are recent advancements.

It takes about 200 miles for your tyres to fully scrub in and your brakes to be at their best - but the improvement there isn't huge.

As for running in at the factory, doesn't happen not unless you bought a hand built Bentley perhaps. Would cost way too much money and time for VW to do. Tolerances are tiny these days, so no need to be bench run-in.

Worst thing you can do to a new car is baby it during run-in or run-in on motorway miles. Do that and you'll get glazed bores and poorly sealing piston rings, leading to high oil and fuel consumption and low power output.

When the oil is warm, don't be afraid to use 3/4 of it's capability after 200 miles.

Ran a MK5 Golf 140TDI GT in on 700 motorway miles and it was sluggish, was 10% thirstier than my other Golfs i'd had, and used a litre of oil every 1500 miles. My other 6 VWs and 1 Audi owned from new didn't use a drop of oil between services with a varied running in.

Treating it a ittle mean (when warm) is far better for the car than babying it. Treated my Golf R quite mean and I get far better mpg than most (33-35mpg) without driving like a nun.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I bought a VW Passat 4Motion 2.8 V6 30V 193PS new in Brunssum NL in May 2000 and drove it home to near Edinburgh via the Chunnel, so 1000 miles roughly, obviously all on motorway to make reasonable progress and not get lost! That car always liked 0.5 litre of engine oil every 600 miles or so in normal commuting work though on a fast run down to Kent it could easily drink over a litre, I can't comment on economy as I did expect it to use quite a bit of petrol and the power, at least the power delivery was silky so I did not have anything to compare it with.

I suppose the "running in software" ties in with the comments that after about 1000 miles the engine loosens up.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

What makes me laugh is how the car manufacturers recommend how to run your car in, but you watch some of the shows on TV and the top high performance car manufacturers, drive the car straight off the production line and thrash the b@lls of it even before you get it?
loadswine
New
Drives: Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Post by loadswine »

I wonder how many miles, all the Polo GTi s that appear on youtube review videos, had on the clock, when they were 'tested'. They certainly gave those cars a hammering! That was on track and on Majorcan mountain roads.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

loadswine wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:06 pm I wonder how many miles, all the Polo GTi s that appear on youtube review videos, had on the clock, when they were 'tested'.
Very few I’d imagine. In all likelihood VW’s press fleet will have been factory fresh at the official press launch, so pretty much straight off the production line. They will have been driven ‘enthusiastically’ from the outset.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

It's not only the GTi's, when I took a 95 HP DSG out for a test drive, we pottered around for a bit, but once I hit the motorway I just put the peddle to the metal and you could hear the poor little engine revving it's guts out until it shifted up, the guy who took us out didn't say a word.
Some time ago my mate and I were kicking tyres, both retired and not much to do. so we went to a Skoda dealer to try out the Fabia Vrs.
They told us what roads to keep on, but it was dual carriageway, so you can guess, it was peddle to the metal, it bloody went likes bats out of hell, and you can bet your bottom dollar ever one else thrashed it. Can you imagine the person who purchased that motor off the dealer had any idea of how that motor had been driven?
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

If you buy an ex-demo car then you've got to expect the worst.

Sometimes though, you buy a new car and still can't assume everything us 100% new and unblemished. I recently took my Golf R in for a wheel refurb after the wife ground one of the wheels against a kerb. A surprisingly thick lump of paint was chipped off. The refurb guy pointed out it had already been refurbed as the cross section of the chip could be seen as undercoat/top coat/undercoat/top coat/clear coat.

This was a brand new car that must have sustained some damage in transit.