How easy is it to change the headlamp bulbs?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
JohnF
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 Polo SE 95

How easy is it to change the headlamp bulbs?

Post by JohnF »

I'm considering upgrading the bulbs on my SE to some brighter ones . Two questions:-
1 Is this worth it?)
2) I note from the manual that the headlamps need to be removed to change the bulbs. Has anyone done this and is it straighforward?
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Re: How easy is it to change the headlamp bulbs?

Post by silverhairs »

I've not got my Polo yet, but when I do I will be changing the bulbs for 120% / 130% type. Looking at 13 / 19th June Auto Express (talking about the H7 bulbs). They have tested a few bulbs and the ones that come out top on there tests are the GE Megalight Ultra +130 stocked by Halfords @ £28.00 a pair. it beat the Bosch Gigalight Plus 120 @ £26.00 a pair, followed by Philips Racing vision @ £25.99 a pair. Then in 4th place came the Ring Xenon 150 @ £27.99.
Once you start pushing beyond the 100% bulbs, their life span shortens, though I've had 120% fitted in my Nissan Note for 6 years without a problem. Now looking at an advertisement in the Auto Express there is an advertisement for Ring Xenon 150 and in the ad they claim "Brightest for longest", but when you carry on reading it states "The brightest longest lasting +150% performance halogen bulb. Up to 150% more light on the road, over 350 hours of night time driving, 80m longer beam of light and a 3700K whiter light output for a safer drive*". (* = Compared to a standard bulb)
I feel 350 hours, nearly 15 weeks is just not on, whether it be a printing error or not. So stick to the 120%, as I said I've had 120% in my Note for 6 years with no bother, and they give a good bright light, and never failed.
You asked about 1. worth it? I would say yes, but don't go in the realms of 150%
2. I don't expect anybody has tried to fit the 120% 130% bulbs yet, being a new car and we are still in the summer months, else they would have come back on this one, but if the manual has said " the headlight unit has to come out to change a bulb, well so be it, it must be only the case of a couple of clips? Have you looked under your bonnet and looked if you can get to the back of the light unit?

I have a question. What type of bulb does the Polo have, is it a H7 or an H4?
JohnF
Getting There!

Post by JohnF »

Interesting reply thanks. My previous car was also a Note, and I didn't think the lights were that good to be honest, but then I'm not getting any younger! hence the question.

I didn't appreciate the anticipated reduced life span of these bulbs, but I don't do many miles so that might not be an issue.

Will check the headlamps and see what's involved. The fact that the manual doesn't advise against doing it yourself should be good news.
JohnF
Getting There!

Post by JohnF »

Although the manual explains how to remove the headlamp, it also recommends not doing it youself. I think if you see someone do it it's probably a piece of cake, however the headlamp is a fair size so I am somewhat nervous of tackling the job.

Anyone up for the challenge?