Advice on how to download Radio Station Icon downloads

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
JohnF
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 Polo SE 95

Advice on how to download Radio Station Icon downloads

Post by JohnF »

What's the easiest way to put icoan images on all the DAB stations I've set up on my Polo?
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Re: Advice on how to download Radio Station Icon downloads

Post by silverhairs »

Now what I can remember from my mates 2017 Polo, once you search for stations, and you like "Smooth Radio" once you save it to your likes list, once it's saved, it will show that stations Icon?
Perhaps a member who has saved stations on their radio could come back on this one, it may be a basic question or it explains it in the handbook, a small guidance would be more than helpful?
john-k
New
Drives: Polo SEL AW

Post by john-k »

You can use any image you download from the internet as a station logo. the official instructions from VW are as follows:

1. Simply save the file to a folder of your choice on your computer by clicking on the link.
2. Unpack the zip file and choose the relevant logos for you.
3. Copy it to an SD card.
4. Then connect the storage medium to your infotainment system.
5. Now you can import the desired logos into your device.
6. To do so, tap on the ‘Set-up’ function area and then on ‘Station logos’.
7. Now tap on the station button you wish to assign a logo to.
8. Select the source where you have the image saved (e.g. SD1) and select the logo from there.
9. Repeat this process as needed for additional logos and, when finished, return to the main menu by pressing the ‘Radio’ button. The SD card can then be removed.

You can download the station logos from VW here: http://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfot ... loads.html
JohnF
Getting There!

Post by JohnF »

Yes I've seen this and downloaded the zip file. THe problem is that some DAB stations (eg Smooth Extra) were not included in the file. Also the image dimensions did not seem to correspond to the orientaion (landscape) of the icons on my car screen? They were also .png files not jpegs.Visiting each DAB station web site and right clicking/downloading the station icon might be the answer, then resizing (if needed?) in Photoshop might be the way to go.
brainbow
Bronze Member
Drives: 72 Plate Facelift GTI

Post by brainbow »

Maybe I’ve missed something but I’ve noticed loads of popular station icons are missing. The main BBC radio stations are on there but pretty much all the local main stations for me are missing.......

Not a biggy but a little bit of a shame as it looks great imo.
john-k
New
Drives: Polo SEL AW

Post by john-k »

I've tried downloading the zip file and had a look inside. It was last updated 23 Nov 2017 based on the filename and it seems all the pictures have a size of 160x120. My best guess is if you want custom logos, you will need to make sure it's within the mentioned size. File size probably needs to be under 50KB as well. Photoshop will be the way to go then for all the missing logos.

***probably unrelated but FYI, I did try downloading custom logos onto the infotainment for my 2014 Up which had a Garmin based unit that attached to the car via a stand and it required very specific file & picture size. Took a bit of work but eventually got it to display local radio station logos
JohnF
Getting There!

Post by JohnF »

All sorted. You need to google to find them from either general sites or specific radio stations (I had to use both) Usually right clicking will bring up the save option, although they are not necessarily .png format. Photoshop is then required to resize to 160x120 pixels, after which you save as .png file. There is scope in Photoshop to manipulate the image to maximise the actual logo text, which I would recommend for safety so you can see it easily while driving. I think it's worth installing the icons for this reason alone.

Of course if you get bored by the logos, you can just use normal photos. I have my grandson as the icon on Smooth Extra as he's a smooth kind of guy!
brainbow
Bronze Member
Drives: 72 Plate Facelift GTI

Post by brainbow »

john-k wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:24 pm I've tried downloading the zip file and had a look inside. It was last updated 23 Nov 2017 based on the filename and it seems all the pictures have a size of 160x120. My best guess is if you want custom logos, you will need to make sure it's within the mentioned size. File size probably needs to be under 50KB as well. Photoshop will be the way to go then for all the missing logos.

***probably unrelated but FYI, I did try downloading custom logos onto the infotainment for my 2014 Up which had a Garmin based unit that attached to the car via a stand and it required very specific file & picture size. Took a bit of work but eventually got it to display local radio station logos
Added new radio icons into the car this morning. Googled the station images, used Microsoft Paint (free) to save as .png files and sized 160x120. Saved to an SD card. Up load to the car was easy.

Was pretty simple and now all the stations I have saved on my screen have pictures. Looks really good.