Yet another failure

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Yet another failure

Post by Leif »

On the way home I stopped for some bread and a can of beer. On returning to the car it wouldn’t let me in. Fortunately I was near home, so walked back to collect the spare key, which worked. I’ve tried a new battery in the failed key, no joy.

And on the way home I stopped to fill up. But the radio wouldn’t turn off. I had to press the on off button for a minute until it reset. I regularly have the emergency braking light up the dash board for no reason. The ‘you are too close to the vehicle in front’ sign sometimes goes off when I’m not too close, but doesn’t when I am (I deliberately tested it). And on the way to work at noon, I drove 41 miles with an average consumption of 86.4 mpg. Yeah right.

In the first few weeks of ownership during torrential rain the windscreen wipers failed (broken switch). I could have been in a serious accident had I not been in lane 1, as I had zero forward visibility. Luckily I still had the previous car.

Lovely car, but the electrics are scheisse. I’m starting to wonder if the car is fit for purpose.
brainbow
Bronze Member
Drives: 72 Plate Facelift GTI

Re: Yet another failure

Post by brainbow »

Your not having much luck.

The infotainment definitely has some bugs. I’ve had mine two weeks now. It’s crashed, mainly connecting with Apple play several times. Tonight though I was on the radio. The screen went blank. Silent then rebooted. Then ok.

Given I’ve already had to have all 4 wheels rebalanced it’s been quite noticeable.

I looked online and could not find an update for the infotainment system (not surprised at this stage) but there might be at some point.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Yes, CarPlay has crashed a few times. I originally used two non Apple cables, one an Amazon basics, as Apple do not do short ones, and it crashed regularly. With an Apple cable, it rarely crashes. Whether this is Apple’s fault, I know not. I am also hoping for a firmware update.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Back to the dealer, get them to sort it....
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Good luck with that. I still have firmware issues with the media system when connecting an ipod with a lead. VW never could fix it. I use SD cards instead for music . Car now 3 years old.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

O my that's such a shame. I am sorry your having a hard time with the car. I think I would have to be back to the dealer with that. Loan car and sort out the electrics guys. as you say car not fir for purpose.

At the moment I have only driven 400 miles and had Zero issues car is working as advertised, but im saying that in the hope of no future issues, not an expectation.
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

I’m assuming that the polo system is the same as the new Ibiza system which the wife has and we have suffered disconnects on both android auto and CarPlay. The worst problem we have had with the Ibiza system was a very severe echo when using bluetooth which rendered it unusable, Seat took a grand total of five weeks to fix the problem with the replacement of the bluetooth microphone and speaker after several software attempts to sort it.

As for android and carplay and I prefer the layout of carplay but the functionality of android with the choice of maps being the main reason as Waze has a good Speed camera database which the Volkswagen group of sat nav’s don’t have. Also with all the new housing estates being built in my area I find the manufacture systems slow to update with it being once or twice yearly at best.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

That's quite a number of 'Gremlins' in the first few weeks Leif. :shock: I just hope that they all get resolved and it's your ownership experience improves..
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

It's going to the dealers next Wednesday to be looked at. I mentioned all of the problems, not just the key. My previous cars were almost faultless, but they had almost no electrical parts unlike the Polo which has automatic everything.

Yes, lots of gremlins. It's odd, why would a windscreen wiper switch go, and a key fail? These are unconnected components, not exactly consistent with a Friday afternoon car. I can understand firmware issues, it's a new car, and firmware is complex.
DaveNI1979
New
Drives: 2018 Beats TSI 95ps

Post by DaveNI1979 »

Worrying. I myself have had ongoing faults with the screen and audio of my polo, audio cuts out completely and sometimes it doesnt want to pair up by bluetooth. But mainly its the screen switching off on its own and flashing like theres a short somewhere. I brought it to dealers and they said the firmware was up to date so idk.
Cadwest
Bronze Member

Post by Cadwest »

DaveNI1979 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:25 pm Worrying. I myself have had ongoing faults with the screen and audio of my polo, audio cuts out completely and sometimes it doesnt want to pair up by bluetooth. But mainly its the screen switching off on its own and flashing like theres a short somewhere. I brought it to dealers and they said the firmware was up to date so idk.
If it’s the same unit as in the seat Ibiza a number of people have had the same issue which resulted in the unit in the glovebox being replaced under warranty.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Collected the car today. I had a call asking which key was faulty. Odd. They have ordered a new key. This evening I tried the bad key and it worked fine. And yet it didn’t work over a week ago, and I tried again the next day with no joy.

They couldn’t reproduce the radio and brake faults, no surprise there.
DaveNI1979
New
Drives: 2018 Beats TSI 95ps

Post by DaveNI1979 »

Cadwest wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:35 pm
DaveNI1979 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:25 pm Worrying. I myself have had ongoing faults with the screen and audio of my polo, audio cuts out completely and sometimes it doesnt want to pair up by bluetooth. But mainly its the screen switching off on its own and flashing like theres a short somewhere. I brought it to dealers and they said the firmware was up to date so idk.
If it’s the same unit as in the seat Ibiza a number of people have had the same issue which resulted in the unit in the glovebox being replaced under warranty.
Nightmare, some days its fine like today, it doesnt seem to like my sd card, working a bit better since i removed it but has glitched a few times even with that, no radio for first couple miles each day isnt fun when the car is worth 17k.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

I have not tried an SD card yet, I have to give one ago. It the mo I have no troubles with my car, but then I have only done 800 miles. In the back of my mind I keep thinking hope it don't start playing up like others on here have done....I don't ever remember thinking that on any new car I have had before.
Cadwest
Bronze Member

Post by Cadwest »

Dave my current Volvo info system started crashing and rebooting every 30 minutes or so and although Volvo had never come across it before it turned out the Bluetooth on my phone had become corrupted. I bought a new phone and everything was good again so before it goes back to your dealers try it with no phone connected to see if the screen still shuts down. If that works try connecting another phone if you have one and take it from there, at least you can tell the dealer what you’ve tried.