New Polo, what to inspect on delivery, run in?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Pogo333
New
Drives: 2018 115 DSG

New Polo, what to inspect on delivery, run in?

Post by Pogo333 »

Hello,
I'm expecting my new polo SEL 115 DSG soon,
I wonder if anyone has tips on what to inspect upon delivery at the dealers and any advice about run in? is it required nowdays?

Any advice is appreciated, can't wait!
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Re: New Polo, what to inspect on delivery, run in?

Post by Leif »

These days engines are made with better tolerances than in the past, but they still benefit from being run in for the first 1000 miles. Don't use high revs, don't labour the engine and try not to do long runs at fixed speed i.e. vary the speed.

As for what to check, dunno. Someone recently collected a car and the ride during their holidays was rock hard. Turns out the dealer had not removed the transit blocks from the suspension.

Enjoy your new car.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Hi Pogo333. Welcome to the forum.

It’s very easy to get carried away with the occasion of collecting a new car and not spot any issues there may be (hopefully there won’t be any). Although a new car should be in perfect condition, sadly they sometimes aren’t.

Here’s a checklist you can use. Checklist items are in no particular order;
  • If possible, always inspect the vehicle in the dry. Tell the dealer in advance of collection day that if it’s raining when you collect your car, you dont want it parked outside - you want the car dry and inside or under cover so you can inspect it in the dry and in good light. It’s easy to miss issues or defects on a wet car or in poor lighting conditions
  • Check the condition of all the bodywork, glass and wheels for stone chips, scratches, scuffs, dents or dings, and any transporter lashing strap marks on the wheels. If the car’s got cosmetic damage, best to point this out before leaving the dealership, otherwise dealer can maintain any damage occurred after you’d left their premises
  • Check all gaps between bodywork panels are even, of uniform size and that all panels fit correctly and are not misaligned. Check the paint on all panels is the same colour/shade and there is no dirt/ imperfections in - or poor finish of - the paintwork; note; it’s not unusual for plastic bumpers to be a very slightly different shade to the adjoining panels, due to the painting process used and the plastic parts being painted away from the body shell - possibly from a different paint batch. This is normal and more noticeable on light coloured metallic shades
  • Check the interior for fit and finish of trim and for any scratches and scuffs
  • Ensure the black plastic wheel bolt covers and wheel centre caps have been fitted
  • Check all the optional extras you’ve specified are present and correct
  • Ensure any dealer fit accessories that you’ve specified (mats, mud flaps etc.) have been fitted
  • Check spare wheel is in the boot, along with the car’s toolkit, including the locking wheel nut key
  • Check the transport pucks have been removed from the front suspension struts, or get the dealer to confirm they have. Lots of instances of transport pucks being left in place during PDI on mk7 Golfs. If they’ve not been removed, the ride will be uncomfortably firm
  • Ensure owner’s manuals are present in the vehicle wallet (note; no service book now as service records are now digital/ online)
  • Check VIN numbers for the car and documentation are the same
  • Ensure the service regime has been set correctly (Longlife or time & distance). If you have a service plan, then it needs to be set to time and distance
  • Ensure you have two keys for the car
Edit; forgot you also asked about running in. I tend to drive my cars pretty much normally from the outset. Also bear in mind that the tyres and brakes need to be run in /bedded in, so avoid harsh cornering or braking during first 100-200 miles, unless you need to for accident avoidance purposes.

I’d echo what Leif has said about not over-revving or labouring the engine (in any gear), or driving for prolonged periods in the same gear at constant engine revs. Additionally, always ensure the engine oil is up to normal operating temperature before you consider spirited or enthusiastic driving (if that’s your thing); not just during the first 1,000 miles, but always.

Enjoy your new car when you get it!
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

As above ^^ and take your time (difficult with a new car waiting to be driven !). Without being paranoid chance are your new car will be fine but mistakes can & do happen. As for running-in, opinions differ but I'd just take it a bit easy for 500 - 1,000 miles gradually building revs & speed without over-revving or causing the engine to 'labour' in too high a gear, tho yours is DSG anyhoo. Oh, and check the the oil regularly, new engines tend to use a bit until run in. Good luck, enjoy, report....
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:10 pm Here’s a checklist you can use.
Wow. :shock: To be honest your list probably does make sense especially if you order additional non standard items. My car was standard, and to be honest I did not check the bodywork etc. A good idea though.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

Pogo333 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:28 am Hello,
I wonder if anyone has tips on what to inspect upon delivery at the dealers and any advice about run in? is it required nowdays?

SRGTD just about covered it all.
I would add that these days is best when the dealer starts the car for you get him to link your phone, also get him to link your phone to the little gadget you get that plugs into the diagnostics (mine was not plugged in and to be honest I missed asking him to do it). I did show him the box (it was in the glove box) and asked him what it was and was it all set up? he said yes it was....well it wasn't, so first I had to locate the diagnostics plug, Its under the steering column on the road side. its lilac, then take the code number off of the side of the device, plug it in search for it on your phone then link you will need the code....just get them to do it.

I also got him to show me the auto lights were switched to auto (they were not) also get him to switch the wipers to auto (they weren't). I also checked the boot to ensure the spare wheel was there and it was full size. I did notice it had a cheaper tyre on it though.

If you ordered the winter pack you will find the headlight washers are not there...I made a bit of a fuss and got 159 quid refund...it all helps.
Pogo333
New

Post by Pogo333 »

mike sel wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:24 pm
Pogo333 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:28 am Hello,

SRGTD just about covered it all.
I would add that these days is best when the dealer starts the car for you get him to link your phone, also get him to link your phone to the little gadget you get that plugs into the diagnostics (mine was not plugged in and to be honest I missed asking him to do it). I did show him the box (it was in the glove box) and asked him what it was and was it all set up? he said yes it was....well it wasn't, so first I had to locate the diagnostics plug, Its under the steering column on the road side. its lilac, then take the code number off of the side of the device, plug it in search for it on your phone then link you will need the code....just get them to do it.
Can you please elaborate what's this diagnotic phone app? Thank you!
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Pogo333 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:04 am Can you please elaborate what's this diagnotic phone app? Thank you!
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/volkswagen-connect
Pogo333
New

Post by Pogo333 »

SRGTD wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:28 am
Pogo333 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:04 am Can you please elaborate what's this diagnotic phone app? Thank you!
Awesome! Thank you!
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Pogo333 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:24 pm
SRGTD wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:28 am
Awesome! Thank you!
You’re welcome! 🙂
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Not a lot of good to me then, I don't have a mobile phone :roll: