Polo GTI Standard Headlights

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MattB911
New
Drives: GTI

Polo GTI Standard Headlights

Post by MattB911 »

I have ordered a Polo GTI which comes with standard headlights. I have noticed that on the LED Headlights the red accents on the front grille extend into them but do they extend into the standard headlights?

Thanks,

Matt
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Polo GTI Standard Headlights

Post by SRGTD »

Looking at the pictures of this GTI that’s for sale at JCT600 VW, no the red line doesn’t continue into the headlights on the standard halogen units fitted to the (non-plus) GTI model. Link to ad below;

https://www.motors.co.uk/car-49912232/?i=0&m=srf
MattB911
New
Drives: GTI

Post by MattB911 »

Thanks SRGTD,

I'm surprised someone has sold their car already!
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

It’s likely to be the dealer’s demonstrator GTI.

Many VW dealers advertise their demonstrator vehicles for sale before they’re able to actually sell them - I think VW dealers have to run their demonstrators for 3 months. Many of the dealer demonstrator vehicles for sale on VW’s website will state the date from which they’re available.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

There’s also a walk round of a ‘nonplussed’ GTI here for reference: https://youtu.be/k_Bx69xck98 :)
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

The VW Grimsby dealer who is right on the docks cannot get hold of a Polo GTi, just in standard GTi spec, so what chance has anybody wanting a GTI have. mind you there are plenty of VW all models, Seat all models and Skoda all models parked up waiting to be delivered, the transporters are in and out of the storage area's all day, they come out of the docks and straight onto the A/M180.
As for the LED headlights, I thought about having them fitted as I like the DRL strip in the headlights that are also the indicators, but when I ordered my car back I May the price was £900.00. Just 4 weeks later when I enquired, they had gone up to £975.00. I'm retired, and if I don't have to go out after dark I don't, I can leave it till the next day. so to just have them indicators in the headlight unit is not worth nearly £1000.00.
What bulbs do VW fit to their Polo's?
Norn Iron
New
Drives: GTI 2018

Post by Norn Iron »

Re original question....we have a standard specification GTI. There are no red lines in the headlamps because we don't have LED lights. Even the sales team agree that the 'brochure' was slightly misleading. Imagine our surprise when we saw headlamps without the red line.
If you go to the thread, you'll find plenty of photos including mine which doesn't have the red lines. It still looks great.
https://uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=71371
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

OK you think your lights look great, but with LED lights you get the DRL in built into the headlights, and when you switch your indicator on (which ever one) that DRL turns into an indicator, as you get in more prestige cars.
As for the red line that you see on the adverts that go through the lights, (as in the previous Polo GTi), they just fit every extra they can find for the press to drive around in, to be honest, I think it's false practice and should be stopped
If the test drive a SEL, then it should have just the items you get in a SEL.
In the "Carwow" review when he asks if you should have Polo or a Golf, he shows the rear brake drums, which come on the 95 BHP motor, then when sitting inside he can alter the driving mode, it's all wrong.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

silverhairs wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:48 am OK you think your lights look great, but with LED lights you get the DRL in built into the headlights, and when you switch your indicator on (which ever one) that DRL turns into an indicator, as you get in more prestige cars.
As for the red line that you see on the adverts that go through the lights, (as in the previous Polo GTi), they just fit every extra they can find for the press to drive around in, to be honest, I think it's false practice and should be stopped
If the test drive a SEL, then it should have just the items you get in a SEL.
In the "Carwow" review when he asks if you should have Polo or a Golf, he shows the rear brake drums, which come on the 95 BHP motor, then when sitting inside he can alter the driving mode, it's all wrong.
SEL specific stuff + options user comments.

Just popped in and saw you have ordered an SEL. I have done 1200 miles in mine now so am now used to it. I don't know the spec you ordered exactly, But normal headlights are plenty bright enough, the daytime running lights stay on even when the headlights are on! Internal lights are all LED footwell are bright enough at night. The vanity mirror lights are quite white and bright too. The strip along the dash and under the front door handles is variable in brightness, to be honest I have turned it down to almost as low as it will go. This strip does NOT go into the rear door handles, the brochure says it does. It does NOT. Also the front door handles have puddle lights inside them (not on the outside or on the rear door handles). Climate control works very well and pumps out pliantly of cool air if you need it, on the 31deg days lately I have even felt chilly so turned the temp up to 24 degrees on the inside. the SEL has a 116hp engine (it says exactly that on the printed label for the specific car in the manual). It also has front and rear break disks, and you can tell it breaks so much better then the SE 94 I test drove.

tyres I have no specific complaints about the ones on the car, but that is because I have not tried others. I keep finding myself wishing I had Michelin cross climates an im not sure why the dealer does not let you choose your tyres, im going to change to them but not until after oct now.

extras
Digi dash? would not go back to the analogue dials if you gave me the car for free. I love the digi dash. all the moving the map over from the main screen etc is a doddle and it really is a lot safer to have the map directly in front of you. All the info on this hi definition screen are intuitive and easy to find and use.
ACC takes a while to get used to using it and to be honest I am still working on that one. I have done 1200 miles of which 900 will have been on country roads and all the miles on journeys of less than 30 miles, so I have not really had chance to get used to it. Long drive coming up in a couple of weeks so I can try it then. Auto parking is fun, I am starting to use it all the time.

keyless . I have discovered how to disable it temporarily, which gets rid of the worry about people nicking the car remotely.

Rear camera is first class wont be without it.

Driver mode button I use all the time. its brilliant, when I start the car I keep an eye on the oil temp only when it gets to over 85deg I start on the sport mode, HA funnn. push the accelerator peddle to the floor and it does move along nicely, 0-30 its as sharp as you will need on the local roads, the GTI will be great on the track.

I wish I had or down sides

I am missing the turn off traction control button. If anyone know s how to do that without the button please let me know. The GTI has this button I wish the SEL did too.

Sunroof, it was an error not to order that. I have not been in a new POLO with one and I did not order it because I understood it detracts from the headroom and I am 6` tall and my youngest soon is 6`1 we both fit in the car easily both front and back. Not sure if we would have with the sunroof. But I keep thinking I maybe should have ordered it.

the VW sat nav is a bit of a downer. I turn the instructions off and tbh the visual instructions are not good enough to direct you without confusion. With the verbal instructions on as well its great no confusion, it just damn annoying hearing a female robot mispronouncing road names and places. So its better direction sound off but can get confusing as the system shows you to turn right counts down to 100yds but then as you arrive at the actual road it still says 100yds or Mtrs so you then wonder if its the road it wants you to take or is there one just 100yrd further on...of course this may be just me.

Would have loved the 1.5 150hp evo engine, but even now that is not an option on the new Polo, it will be one day and I will wish I had that. It sounds like the perfect compromise between the 200hp GTI and the 116hp SEL. I think it will be expensive so I may not have wanted to pay another 1200 quid on it, bu the option would have been nice.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

mike sel wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:04 pm
SEL specific stuff + options user comments.
I wish I had or down sides

Sunroof, it was an error not to order that. I have not been in a new POLO with one and I did not order it because I understood it detracts from the headroom and I am 6` tall and my youngest soon is 6`1 we both fit in the car easily both front and back. Not sure if we would have with the sunroof. But I keep thinking I maybe should have ordered it.
There have been lots of discussions on the panoramic sunroof fitted to the mk7 / mk7.5 Golf over on one of the Golf forums. Many owners with sunroofs fitted to their cars reported some of these issues;
  • annoying rattles
  • leaks into the car, caused by blocked drain pipes (or in some cases drain pipes not fitted in error)
  • interior shade blind sliding forward / backwards under braking and acceleration
  • stress fractures in the glass panel between the upper edge of the windscreen and the front edge of opening part of the panoramic roof
I know some people like the impression of airiness, space and light that you can get from a sunroof, and maybe the above issues in the Golf aren’t - or won’t be - issues in the Polo. I personally wouldn’t want a sunroof though if there was a likelihood of these issues developing during my period of a car’s ownership.
loadswine
New
Drives: Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Post by loadswine »

I have had sunroofs on all my recent cars, including a 2014 Octavia VRS and a 2017 Skoda Superb 280 and wouldn’t be without one. Same parts as VW, so should be comparable. Yes I have experienced the odd rattle, but nothing major. I have not found a headroom problem thus far, at 6ft myself.
With the dark roof lining, it really lifts the interior. So, for me, I had to order my GTi+ with a sunroof.
Its all personal choice though, and many folks prefer not to have sunroofs. Its always first option box ticked for me. :wink:
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Thanks "Mike SEL" for your feed back. I drive a lot with the normal cruise control in my Nissan Note, but the Mrs won't touch it. I've ordered the ACC, and in another post a member was giving advice on how to set it up to stop the car braking hard when it thinks there is a problem ahead. Worth a read. I've got a few extra's being fitted, the thing with the SEL, it has a light interior roof lining, I looked at the GTI and that was dark. I know this sounds funny, but with a dark interior the Mrs feels closed in, the sun roof would have been nice, but do we get enough sunlight in this country to warrant the extra cash?
You say you like the digi dash, yet you don't like the sat nav? As for tyres, VW fit what they have in stock at the time my mates had 3 VW's and each one had different makes fitted, but I don't think they fit rubbish tyres, but once your fronts wear out you can have ago at another brand. The turning off of the traction control, I'm not bothered about, I'm retired and don't bother rushing around, when in the winter and the roads are a bit icy, we don't go out till about 11 o-clock, mind you we don't get up till 9 o-clock :lol:
The extra's I've ordered are
1. ACC
2. Blind spot monitor
3. electric folding mirrors (why, I'm not quite sure)
4. Energetic orange dash pads (same as the outside)
5. rear view camera.

I've looked at the VW app and so far it's in block 2 (with the factory) so I have 5 more blocks to go, it will be a nice Christmas present :roll:
broberty
New
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by broberty »

Norn Iron wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:48 am Re original question....we have a standard specification GTI. There are no red lines in the headlamps because we don't have LED lights. Even the sales team agree that the 'brochure' was slightly misleading. Imagine our surprise when we saw headlamps without the red line.
If you go to the thread, you'll find plenty of photos including mine which doesn't have the red lines. It still looks great.
Do you have a picture of the daytime running lights on, on the standard headlamps?
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

loadswine wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:20 am I have had sunroofs on all my recent cars, including a 2014 Octavia VRS and a 2017 Skoda Superb 280 and wouldn’t be without one. Same parts as VW, so should be comparable. Yes I have experienced the odd rattle, but nothing major. I have not found a headroom problem thus far, at 6ft myself.
With the dark roof lining, it really lifts the interior. So, for me, I had to order my GTi+ with a sunroof.
Its all personal choice though, and many folks prefer not to have sunroofs. Its always first option box ticked for me. :wink:
Agree loadswine, it is very much a personal choice, as is car choice and the choice of any other options for that matter.

With sunroofs, it’s always worth checking your insurance policy to see which section of the policy the insurer covers these under, as not all insurers cover them under the glass section. The implications of an insurer not covering a panoramic (or other) glass sunroof under the glass section - but still covering it (under the ‘damage to the vehicle’ section, or whatever it’s called) - is that any claim for repair or replacement of the sunroof;
  • will be subject to the standard compulsory excess (plus any additional voluntary excess) under the policy, which will usually be quite a bit higher than the glass excess.
  • can result in a reduction of the the number of years no claims discount (NCD) earned, if NCD isn’t protected.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

broberty wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:34 pm
Norn Iron wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:48 am Re original question....we have a standard specification GTI. There are no red lines in the headlamps because we don't have LED lights. Even the sales team agree that the 'brochure' was slightly misleading. Imagine our surprise when we saw headlamps without the red line.
Do you have a picture of the daytime running lights on, on the standard headlamps?
I’m assuming that on GTI’s with halogen headlamps, the DRL’s are the outer (LED) lights, next to the fog lights/cornering lights in the lower section of the front bumper - i.e. the same as on other Polo models with halogen headlamps. If so, then they’re like the DRL’s in the video at the link below (seen from around 50 sec into the video);

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iJPlelh6Vxg