VW assist solved my self inflicted car problem. result

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

VW assist solved my self inflicted car problem. result

Post by mike sel »

Hey All.

I had an issue with my SEL Polo last night which was self inflicted.

I had the car in reverse and reversed into my drive, I put the car in park just before my better half tried to open the boot, (reverse camera takes about 5 seconds to disappear) So my partner was trying to open the boot with the VW boot logo still half open for the reverse camera. The boot would not open and the camera stuck as open in the deployed mode and the boot would not open. I tried everything to get the camera to fold away. We did pop the boot from the inside. But when we shut it we could not reopen it from the out side.

SRGTD did offer some advice. But that did not work, So dealer it would be. At just gone 10 am I rang the dealer (yea I know its a Sunday and only the car sales is open) I spoke to the Guy that sold me the car and he suggested ringing VW assist. So I did, and they came out by 1pm they had removed the camera and re fitted it and it now works like new.

reason for posting this is I assumed it would be a book a visit t the workshop type of issue, where as actually it was a call out the VW assist type of issue.

So please keep VW assist in mind, it does work the guys was friendly and very helpful, and it saves loads of time.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: VW assist solved my self inflicted car problem. result

Post by SRGTD »

Good to hear you got it sorted, and quickly too. You’d probably have been waiting a couple of weeks or more to get a workshop slot at the dealers, so it’s good to hear that VW Assist provided good, timely service.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Many thanks for this post, it just one of them things you just don't think about. I've not got my Polo yet (Christmas) but I've already told my Mrs about it and if the badge is up Don't try and open the boot :roll:
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

That's blooming good service to be fair. Easily done, once did similar on my Golf (no reverse cam) but it wasnt 'quite half way' so only jammed a bit, fully opened then closed the hatch and all was fine. Was more careful afterwards through....
JohnF
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 Polo SE 95

Post by JohnF »

Interesting problem. To me the badge/boot catch operation doesn't seem too sturdy.

So is there anything I need to be aware when operating my (non camera equipped) boot lid to avoid failing or jamming??
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Don't be in much of a hurry (guilty !), fully operate rear hatch release (badge) before opening the hatch....
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

JohnF wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:50 pm Interesting problem. To me the badge/boot catch operation doesn't seem too sturdy.

So is there anything I need to be aware when operating my (non camera equipped) boot lid to avoid failing or jamming??
No not really, when in reverse the camera deploys, boot emblem opens about 25%, when you put the car into P it takes about 5 seconds for the camera to fold away. IF you try to open the boot within that 5 seconds then it could stick. its easy to tell. just don't open the boot when the camera is deployed. To be fair to VW yo have to try dammed hard to put the car in park and get to the boot to open it while the camera is still deployed. Its more likely that when you are in reverse a passenger may pop around to the boot to put something in before you are able to get the car into P and the camera go down.