I have a non TSI Polo on loan

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

I have a non TSI Polo on loan

Post by Leif »

I picked it up this evening while they investigate issues with my car, and fix the rear seatbelt problem. It’s a nice car, the steering feels heavier, which I prefer. But there is a lack of power, and given a choice I’d go for the TSI without question. It’s fine, it drives well, there is more than enough power for day to day driving, and it’d be good for a young driver. But the TSI is more fun, and it does make overtaking easier.

I’m not sure why the steering feels heavier. Maybe the Continental EcoContact tyres are the reason?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: I have a non TSI Polo on loan

Post by SRGTD »

The different steering feel could well be down to different tyres. Size and weight of wheels can also be a factor.

I’ve found that cars from the same model range with different trim levels often feel very different when I’ve driven them. Aspects such as the clutch pedal weight, travel and biting point, and brake pedal feel are often quite different in two of the same / similar cars of a similar age and mileage. I’m always pleased to get back into my own car, even when I’ve been ‘lucky’ enough to have some quite nice courtesy cars;
  • I had an Audi TT on one occasion (my dealer also has an Audi franchise). Found it difficult to get in and out of with my ageing limbs and bad back! It was also plagued with creaks and rattles (the car, that is. Not my back!). So much for premium Audi build quality.
  • Had a brand new mk7 Golf GTD for a day (the sales mansger’s car). The dealer had an ulterior motive in giving me that as a courtesy car though; they were trying to entice me into buying a new one! I didn’t take the bait; I decide when the time’s right for me to replace my car, not when a dealer thinks I should.
Hope the dealer is able to sort out the issues with your car to your satisfaction, so you can get on with enjoying it.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Cheers.

I forgot to mention that the loaner has park pilot. Very nice, definitely worth having.
albob
Bronze Member
Drives: BlueGT

Post by albob »

Leif wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:15 am Cheers.

I forgot to mention that the loaner has park pilot. Very nice, definitely worth having.
Excuse my ignorance - but is 'park pilot' the system were the car parks itself (with a bit of input from the driver...!) ??
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

albob wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:30 pm

Excuse my ignorance - but is 'park pilot' the system were the car parks itself (with a bit of input from the driver...!) ??
The self parking option is Park Assist;

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/ ... ark-assist
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

When I park, the car presents a nice graphic on the LED display of the car as seen from above, along with the areas swept out by the radar/sensors shown in orange, and any obstacles highlighted. It doesn't do the parking for me, but it does inform me of unseen obstacles. It went berserk last night when the front brushed against my Camelia.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Leif wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:27 pm

When I park, the car presents a nice graphic on the LED display of the car as seen from above, along with the areas swept out by the radar/sensors shown in orange, and any obstacles highlighted. It doesn't do the parking for me, but it does inform me of unseen obstacles. It went berserk last night when the front brushed against my Camelia.
I have this on my previous generation Polo. I wanted cruise control, which was bundled together with front and rear parking sensors, so I had to have the parking sensors to get cruise control. The parking sensors give the park pilot display on the infotainment screen Leif has referred to. At the time, I was able to upgrade the cruise control/parking sensor bundle to include the reversing camera for an additional £25. For the sake of £25 I went for the camera too. A bit of a luxury in a small car that’s easy to park? Maybe, but I’ve found the camera a useful additional aid to help with reversing when my back problem has made it painful to turn to look out of the rear window.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

Leif wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:27 pm

I find on mine if I am driving down narrow country lanes It does show up on the park pilot. but its very useful. My SEL has Park Pilot, Park assist, reverse camera. LOL I should be able to park the car without bumping anything. I also never bumped my Morris MINI 850 and that had nothing except a couple of mirrors. Still it all helps.

Out of interest I do enjoy the Park assist. It does depend on how the cars are parked in front and behind, if they are very tight to the kerb you will be, if they are on the pavement so will you be. If they are perfectly parked so will you be.

Reverse camera is brilliant. Best on the market.
albob
Bronze Member
Drives: BlueGT

Post by albob »

thanks for the replies... :)
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

I did 80 miles today in the loaner and I now have my car back. Definitely a heavier steering. The brakes, gear change and hand brake feel the same, but the gear change is much less smooth, more jerky, either due to a different gear box, or the lower power engine. It felt like my VW Up to drive, very similar indeed.

I also saw reef blue cars at the dealers. A very nice colour, a dark blue but not very dark, would have been my choice had I done a factory order after seeing one. The dealer’s yard was full of unregistered new Polos.