Polo Performance News Snippets

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
jylydesign
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+ on order

Re: Polo Performance News Snippets

Post by jylydesign »

Respected German tuning firm ABT have just told me that they will only be offering a power upgrade for the post WLTP GTI version. I guess there isn't enough pre WLTP GTIs around for it to be viable...

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

loadswine
New
Drives: Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Post by loadswine »

I wonder if that means that there is a fundamental difference between pre and post WLTP Polo GTi engines? Do ABT know something?
jylydesign
Getting There!

Post by jylydesign »

I understand ABT offer VAG approved tuning packages in Germany so they work quite closely with VW - similar to Ford and Mountune over here. It appears the the new particulate filters may sap some power, see extract below from the guy at ABT in Germany.
'The WLTP software will not fit with the NEDC cars, the ECU modifications are too much, because the particulate filter takes a lot of power.

Best regards and have fun with your filterless car ;-)'

PilotRoss91
New
Drives: '14 Fiesta ST - Polo GTI+ On Order

Post by PilotRoss91 »

I’ll be waiting for APR to come out with something.

Tuner in Belgium already have a tune for the EA888.3b in the Tiguan/Arteon doing 260bhp and 295Nm. APR are working on that platform now in the states so it will be interesting to see what comes of it.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

loadswine wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:58 pm I wonder if that means that there is a fundamental difference between pre and post WLTP Polo GTi engines? Do ABT know something?
There'll be more back pressure post WLTP, and that back pressure will vary dependent on whether the GPF is empty, full or filling. Passive and active regen action will have to be accounted for. Far more variables to consider post WLTP, pre-WLTP remaps should be a lot easier to do, but are there enough pre-WLTP variants out there to make likely uptake worthwhile to invest the development into? What's the uptake of cars sold vs those remapped? 5%? 2%? How many of those will remap before the warranty is up or at least 2/3 through?
loadswine
New

Post by loadswine »

Reading between the lines, it seems likely that the post WLTP gti may have a less sporty exhaust sound, if the system is more restrictive. I very much doubt customers will be informed of that sort of detail change.
As the days go by , with lack of positive support from vw and information from other sources on possible change, cancelling my order is getting more likely.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Now is that not where the Sondakator into play?
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

Hi All

Autocar out on 1 August has a Road Test of Polo GTI.

Roll on Wednesday next week.
jylydesign
Getting There!

Post by jylydesign »

AndyGTi wrote:Hi All

That'll be a predictable 4 star review then. 'good car, plenty of kit but not quite the thrill of a great hot hatch etc etc' [emoji3]

AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

Ha ha Jylydesign. You were right, they were impressed but not quite enough
richl123
New

Post by richl123 »

AndyGTi wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:08 pm Hi All

From Aug 1st Autocar

Real weight 1342 Kg (Mk7.0 GTI 5dr/dsg PP is 1450)
Performance 4 stars
0 - 60 = 6.7secs (6.5 for MK7)
Track mpg 14
Overall mpg 36.6
jylydesign
Getting There!

Post by jylydesign »

AndyGTi wrote:Ha ha Jylydesign. You were right, they were impressed but not quite enough
[emoji6]

roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:12 am
The members who have ordered 95 or 115ps variants could've bought something a bit brisker in the Polo range if they'd wanted to, i'd guess that's why they have no desire to hanker for more power - they clearly prioritise economy over performance. For those that want more power in the Polo form factor, the GTI/GTI+ is the top of official offerings.

We can already surmise that the little 1.0 unit probably hasn't got much more to give, seeing as VW didn't up the power for the up! GTI, despite equivalent rivals having more.
Attending a VW show today a local Revo dealer had a 95ps 1.0 TSI featured on it’s stand. Seemingly good gains to be had should owners of 1.0 TSI cars be inclined..

https://www.onlyrevo.com/product-detail ... 01/stage-1
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

In this post members are talking about the report in Autocar, but in another post they were talking about a report on a "Hot hatch face off in the AUTO EXPRESS (8 - 14 August "1536")
and they were testing the Fiesta ST Vs Cooper S & Polo GTI.
Now with other tests with the Polo GTI against other fast hatches and the Polo GTI came a respective third and forth, in the tests. The majority of GTI members criticized the tests.
Now with the Auto Express, I read all three reports, and to my mind, the Polo GTI came out on top with the reporters comments, it should have come first :D
How surprised I was when I turned over and saw the Polo GTI had come last. I can see the frustration of the GTI owners, the result was totally wrong :(
loadswine
New

Post by loadswine »

I totally agree. The Auto express test is on their website now and, from the off, it was always going to be the Fiesta as the favourite for them. No consideration of the practical aspects at all and the verdict seemed to be purely on fun factor.
I am sure the Fiesta is fun to drive, but a lot of people, me included, want a lot more than that. I would hate to travel in the back of one, for a start! :wink: