Polo Performance News Snippets

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Polo Performance News Snippets

Post by AndyGTi »

Hi All

Just thought I would pass on some info I saw in the motoring press this week.

What Car - Next Issue (out on 9 Aug) features test on Fiesta ST v Polo GTI. Cool!!! Hopefully the GTI reviews will be appearing around end of July/Early Aug in the other magazines as well.

Autocar - Apparently VW are pushing their R Division with them involved in development of new models, but not going to be a Polo R. Golf will be smallest Hatch they give R treatment to. Apparently Polo too small for the four wheel drive which R models need and also small demand for Polo sized car(ok he's prob right)) But obviously Jost Capito never been to Ingolstadt to see an Audi S1. Thought their might have been more chance with this model of Polo as now on MQB and Audi will apparently offer Quattro on new A1 models as well as a new S1 coming. Of course it might be true or just saying that in case people stop buying GTIs. Was only November that Autocar had article that it was all feasible and they had a test car built. I think another case to VW thinking people might stop buying the Golf.

Anyway, hope that is helpful or of interest.

Andy
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Polo Performance News Snippets

Post by iichel »

what? if the A1 2.0 TSI could have a 4WD (in the S1), why not a Polo?
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

What? if VW made a Polo GTI with the same engine (2.0) and fitted an electric motor in the boot to drive the rear wheels.

It's a Polo, if you want something faster purchase an Audi TT 2.0 TPSI (310) Quarttro TTS @£41,205 Bargain !!! But where are you going to use all that power legally :?:

The worlds full of what if's
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

silverhairs wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:50 pm What? if VW made a Polo GTI with the same engine (2.0) and fitted an electric motor in the boot to drive the rear wheels.

It's a Polo, if you want something faster purchase an Audi TT 2.0 TPSI (310) Quarttro TTS @£41,205 Bargain !!! But where are you going to use all that power legally :?:

The worlds full of what if's
😂😂😂 sounds like you aren’t disappointed with the news😂😂 TTS a bit of expensive but a £28k Polo would be just perfect.
loadswine
New
Drives: Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Post by loadswine »

Thanks for sharing the news.
I would quite like a 250 ish PS Polo with the electro mechanical diff, if they ever made one.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

The best your going to get out of your Polo GTI+ even with a bit of tuning might get 250 BHP. Why don't you just stick with your Skoda Superb 280 sportsline, that you have right now, It's a much faster car than any 1 Ltr Polo GTI+.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

I get that some people want a more powerful car, my friend just purchased a golf gti he was not happy with the HP as standard so he added the power pack. He now constantly complains that he can not drive it more then 20MPH around town, even his commute along the M3 -M25 gives him an average speed check of 35MPH. He cannot use the power. he is so frustrated he has booked a track day, but then he has been advised to take an extra set of tyres to drive home in. I do get his frustration.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

The way traffic is piling up on our roads, and you spend more time in traffic congestions, whether you have a 250 BHP motor or even the Polo 95 BHP, around London, it's quicker to have a push bike :roll:
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

mike sel wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:07 pm I get that some people want a more powerful car, my friend just purchased a golf gti he was not happy with the HP as standard so he added the power pack. He now constantly complains that he can not drive it more then 20MPH around town, even his commute along the M3 -M25 gives him an average speed check of 35MPH. He cannot use the power. he is so frustrated he has booked a track day, but then he has been advised to take an extra set of tyres to drive home in. I do get his frustration.
I've always liked something a little brisk, ever since I pased my test and my mates were driving around in their mam's 1.0 Mini Metros and I had use of my Dad's Ford Granada Estate 2.8L Ghia.

I have a Manual Golf R and it puts a smil on my face every time I drive it. I do get to do some national speed limit roads on my commute, and a little motorway, where having that much power to pretty much instantly match whatever else is on the road off a sliproad. It's especially handy for joining the central motorway from the coast road in Newcastle - the only road I know of where a 30mph road (the A1058 Coast Road) merges with the outside lane of a motorway (A167M). Big output almost always means good brakes as standard too. On a car that quik, you only have a few seconds of hard acceleration before you reach the national speed liimit. Can't wait to swap the wife's Audi A1 1.6TDi (which is surprisingly brisk if you keep it on song and do a long enough commute to keep the DPF clear) for the incoming Polo GTI+, even if it does only come with DSG right now (would rather have the manual).
loadswine
New
Drives: Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Post by loadswine »

silverhairs wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:20 pm The best your going to get out of your Polo GTI+ even with a bit of tuning might get 250 BHP. Why don't you just stick with your Skoda Superb 280 sportsline, that you have right now, It's a much faster car than any 1 Ltr Polo GTI+.
I think I know what suits my needs, thank you. Superb is incredibly refined , has many toys and will accelerate briskly if required, but its not particularly engaging to drive, plus it is larger than I need now, I am retired.
Its not about outright speed , but providing a little bit of driver enjoyment on occasion, whilst having some degree of convenience and practicality. Probably better on fuel too.
I used to have a pristine Octavia VRS 220 that would have been fine, but some ratbag decided to steal that off my driveway.
Polo GTi should suit me quite adequately, but a little more power wouldn’t hurt , if it were available.
I wouldn’t mind betting others have a similar point of view.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

It seems the only ones who want more power from their engines, are the ones who have ordered the Polo GTI or GTI+ :roll: I've not seen any members with or ordered the 95 HP or the 115 HP motors asking how they can get more power from their engines.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

loadswine wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:33 pm Its not about outright speed , but providing a little bit of driver enjoyment on occasion, whilst having some degree of convenience and practicality.

I wouldn’t mind betting others have a similar point of view.
Agree with this loadswine. I am also retired and for me, driver enjoyment is still an important part of the overall car ownership experience, and I find my current car (previous generation Polo GTI) gives me that driver enjoyment and it suits my needs perfectly.
silverhairs wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:50 pm It seems the only ones who want more power from their engines, are the ones who have ordered the Polo GTI or GTI+ :roll: I've not seen any members with or ordered the 95 HP or the 115 HP motors asking how they can get more power from their engines.
I am quite satisfied with the 192ps power output of my car and have no desire to modify it to get more power. The stock power is adequate for me to make brisk progress within the legal limits when traffic conditions permit.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

The good thing about living in a relatively free country is you can have whatever you feel suits your needs as long as you can afford it and its legal.

I had a new BMW 330d and that looks a sedate family saloon, apart from the very occasional opportunity at the traffic light grand prix or when you are entering a slip road and your front of the line of traffic I simply could never use even 1/4 of the cars potential. I was always stuck behind a Nissan note or in a 30MPh limit, there were times in the early 2005s when I could get out early on a Sunday and tear up the motorway, or late at night. But now there are just so many cars on the road there is NEVER a proper opportunity to use a car like that properly.

I would love to justify a proper quick BMW 3 series again but it was just so frustrating owning a quick car you couldn't enjoy, no one let you out at junctions, people on the M3 would try to race you (stupid & dangerous game that, I never got involved) and not a lot on the road is quicker than a 330d (0-62 in 5.6 seconds).

So Ill sit there in my shiny new little POLO 116hp and keep up with most of the traffic most of the time and avoid the fines and frustration associated with a 0-60 in under 6 second car. And I will keep the 25k change in the bank. Whilst enjoying a very reasonable level of comfort.

But I do very much wish I could justify a quick car in 2018, I really do get why people buy them or a GTI with power pack, I have the tee shirt and am fed up with the frustration....and the driving course invites, the fines and the points.

On a serious note though does anyone think an advanced driving test should be rolled and needs to be passed before anyone can buy a super fast car. it is scary to think that I could be a new 18 year old driver, pass my test last week and drive dads 335 this week.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

silverhairs wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:50 pm It seems the only ones who want more power from their engines, are the ones who have ordered the Polo GTI or GTI+ :roll: I've not seen any members with or ordered the 95 HP or the 115 HP motors asking how they can get more power from their engines.
The members who have ordered 95 or 115ps variants could've bought something a bit brisker in the Polo range if they'd wanted to, i'd guess that's why they have no desire to hanker for more power - they clearly prioritise economy over performance. For those that want more power in the Polo form factor, the GTI/GTI+ is the top of official offerings.

We can already surmise that the little 1.0 unit probably hasn't got much more to give, seeing as VW didn't up the power for the up! GTI, despite equivalent rivals having more. We do know that the 2.0 GTI unit is operating well under capability when seen on the Golf GTI PP (245ps). Of course, the Polo GTI has a smaller turbo and almost certainly smaller injectors, as well as other differences. In DSG variant, there should also be plenty of scope to handle more power and torque. The manual boxes applied to the Golf GTI and R have a "just enough" clutch, which arguably isn't enough for all situations - my Golf R's clutch slipped a few times briefly in sub-zero temps this past Winter, but VW won't do a thing about it unless I can demonstarte it to them when in at the dealership. So the GTI owners have the option of getting a remap or tuning box to get it up to somewhere in the region of 250ps, while losing the reassurance of their warranty on the drivetrain and probably not fully complying with emissions requirements, which means taking the map off when an MOT is due.

I'm sure VW could have got the Polo up in that region by transplanting the complete Golf GTI PP powerplant into the Polo, and ended up with a slightly lighter and cleaner (emissions) car but would have been cannibalising the Golf GTI sales. The Polo GTI+ has some all new tech in it that the Golf won't see until the MK8 is released.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

I do agree with "Mike SEL" I took the advanced driving test many years ago, and I think it's a good idea for anybody who wishes to drive a super fast car. No mater what age.
They do give drivers good tips, but there again, you cannot put sense, where God didn't intend there to be in the first place. It doesn't stop young tearaways getting the money just to pay for their insurance for a fast car, but would they be able to pass the advanced test?

It's very nice to have that extra power to over take, but you have to remember, what if a tractor pulls out of a field, while you have your boot to the floor? No brake assist is going to help you out there.