A couple of issue following delivery?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Pogo333
New
Drives: 2018 115 DSG

A couple of issue following delivery?

Post by Pogo333 »

Hello People,
So we got the car (Polo SEL 115) and we're generally very happy, it drives like a grown up car and the engine is great, happy we gone for the 115 version. We did a 300 KM tour on the second day and came out feeling terrific, I can't believe this is a 'small car'.

I have a couple of questions, things I noticed but not sure if they are bugs/issue or not.

1. Arm brake, with the arm brake up and the car in D or R - the car actually moves - i.e. the arm-brake don't stop it - like it did on a few other cars I had. Is this normal? Can you possibly check on your Polo and report back? Thank you

2. AC ducts - I feel there a noticeable imbalance between the amount of cold air coming from the ducts - the one closer to the centre console is about twice more powerful than the one near the door. Also the one near the door doesn't quite go all the way to the right (it's a left hand car) - i.e. impossible to aim at the drivers face even in the most right position.
I plaid with the AC controls and no setting gets the same amount of air.

If you don't mind popping into the car and testing these two things that would be awesome! Thank you!,
if it is indeed an issue I'd like to sort it with the dealer ASAP.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Re: A couple of issue following delivery?

Post by silverhairs »

I haven't got my Polo yet, but my mate down the road has a 2016 Polo GTI and he was telling me about in gear with an auto and hand brake.
It's the foot brake the disengages the clutch to the drive, so if you get in traffic, and you wish to put your hand brake on and take your foot off the brake peddle, the gearbox is still engaged with the clutch, you have to put the auto into neutral, while you've still got your foot on the brake, then you can put your hand brake on without it creeping. Hope I have explained myself clearly.

So in traffic, you must use the foot brake to hold the car back, (this disengages the clutch) if in traffic and you apply your hand brake and take your foot off the (foot) brake, you must put your car in neutral, your car will not creep then. It's not like the old time slush auto boxes, where at the start of a 300 mile journey you put it in drive (D) and at the end of the journey you put it back into neutral (N)
Pogo333
New

Post by Pogo333 »

silverhairs wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:20 am I haven't got my Polo yet, but my mate down the road has a 2016 Polo GTI and he was telling me about in gear with an auto and hand brake.
It's the foot brake the disengages the clutch to the drive, so if you get in traffic, and you wish to put your hand brake on and take your foot off the brake peddle, the gearbox is still engaged with the clutch, you have to put the auto into neutral, while you've still got your foot on the brake, then you can put your hand brake on without it creeping. Hope I have explained myself clearly.

So in traffic, you must use the foot brake to hold the car back, (this disengages the clutch) if in traffic and you apply your hand brake and take your foot off the (foot) brake, you must put your car in neutral, your car will not creep then. It's not like the old time slush auto boxes, where at the start of a 300 mile journey you put it in drive (D) and at the end of the journey you put it back into neutral (N)
Thank you Silverhairs,
I'd respectfully wait for a response from someone who actually owns this car, rather than 'has a friend who owns an older model'...
Personally my own experience doesn't suggest the 'brake disengages the clutch' ;)
jdunstone16
New
Drives: VW Polo Beats 2018

Post by jdunstone16 »

Hi Pogo333,

I have had my DSG Polo Beats for over a month now and agree that both point 1 and 2 are the same for me.

My car tries to creep forward with the handbrake on and the AC is more powerful in the middle than the outer vents.

Hope this helps.
Jack
Pogo333
New

Post by Pogo333 »

Thanks mate!
Can you clarify 'tries to creep'? mine just goes at a slightly slower speed than without the arm-brake engaged (assuming I don't press the accelerator, of course!). Does the same in reverse too!

I love the car but find the air-con thing slightly shabby - compared to what I'd expect from VW
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

Yes mine does. I put it in P or N if im sitting for a while. Climate control I agree again on this I did try to balance this out by shutting half off on the centre ones, it helps quite a bit.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

As for a reply suggesting I don't have a clue about DSG boxes, but would rather wait for someone who does have a DSG box, makes me laugh :lol:
Just because a member who does have a DSG box, does not mean they know how they work !!!
When you press the foot brake, it disengages both clutches, so there is NO drive, Then while stopped, you can feather the brake and this will still keep the clutches disengaged so the car won't creep, as long as you are on a flat surface, OK so far.
But, if you come to a stop with your foot on the brake and you have the stop/start engaged, the engine will stop, but put your hand brake on and take your foot off the peddle, the clutches will engage and try and creep.
As for "Pogo333" this information might enlighten you on how a DSG box works With your foot on the brake the clutches disengage, and there are two clutches NOT one :lol: .
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Here is an explanation on how the DSG gearbox works :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj1Vk7SE-TI

I will find more information for you later :lol:
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Try this one for size, it's from a web site Called "PistonHeads". Somebody is asking if the footbrake disengages the DSG box :lol:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... 39985&i=20

Hope this clears up the question about foot brake and the DSG box :roll:
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

For those with a DSG box, and not too sure about driving with it. Here is a site made by VW that might help you out :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqtF_6hJmbk