Wait time order to delivery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
DuncanM
New
Drives: Toyota C-HR to Polo SEL 115

Wait time order to delivery

Post by DuncanM »

Hi,
I am thinking of trading in my one year old Toyota C-Hr for an SEL 115 with about 10 options on to match the gadget spec on my Toyota but can anyone explain why there is an at least 6 month wait. It seems ridiculous for a run of the mill car. I don't like the idea of committing to something financially for so long. The dealer did state they would hold the part ex value of my car for 6 months at £16,600 which is something I guess. What should be the normal wait time for the polo and or VW in general. Longest I have ever waited for a factory order was 8 weeks. :x
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Wait time order to delivery

Post by RUM4MO »

Hi and welcome to this forum!

I'm not in this position as I last ordered a factory build to my spec car in April 2015, that took until mid August to arrive, so 4 months.

I'll let others in your situation posting with suitable expanations!

I once imported a VW Passat in 2000,that one was ordered in August 1999 and arrived end of May 2000, ie 8 months and that was with me needing to comit 25% deposit, though that delay was just VW stalling RHD orders into a LHD sales territory to discourage people from taking the personal importing route which EU regulations made possible. Did the same thing in April 2002 but that time it was for a VW Polo and that was available for collection in September 2002, so only 5 months again with VW stalling RHD orders into a LHD sales territory.

It can be a bit annoying as if something nasty happens to your current car, you would need to buy a clunker to keep you moving until delivery time, I was always very aware of that, even more so as the cars they were both replacing were roughly 9 and 8 years old, so could have needed some big money spent on them with no chance of any returns for doing that.

Edit:- by the way, I'm not trying to suggest that this wait is acceptable - it is not!
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I am on my fourth VW and the shortest length of time I’ve had to wait for a factory order was 2 - 2.5 months. The longest time I had to wait was 8 months. My current car took just over 3 months from order to delivery to the dealer.

It’s not uncommon for the first 12-18 months of a new VW model’s life for there to be quite long waiting times from date of order to delivery. You will see from the discussion threads on the forum that for customers ordering a new Polo GTI / GTI+, current quoted waiting times are around 42 weeks(!). When the mk7 Golf was launched, typically, customers also waited around 8 months for a factory build GTI model.

It does seem difficult to establish whether or not specifying certain options increase the the waiting times, although those people who order a highly specced car in general do tend to have the longer waiting times. I don’t think anyone knows (other than VW themselves) for certain why it takes so long for a run of the mill car to take around 6 months or more to get to the customer from time of order. Some of the factors impacting current timescales might be;
  • factory build capacity; with the previous generation Polo, some UK destined Polos were built at VW Pamplona factory in Spain, and some were built at the Uitenhage factory in South Africa. With the new model, Polos are no longer built in Spain, so this, together with the popularity of the Polo, has IMO almost certainly put strain on production capacity at the Uitenhage factory.
  • factory closure mid May to early August.
    • Compliance with WLTP certification.
    • periodic supply chain issues. If any of VW’s suppliers have issues supplying certain component parts, then this will impact build timescales. Historically, there have been issues with some VW models for the supply of certain designs of alloy wheel, DSG transmissions and reversing cameras.
    • the majority of VW cars are built to order and VW’s factory production process operates using the ‘just in time’ business model. A car will not scheduled for build until VW’s suppliers have confirmed they can supply the component parts (and the timescales involved) needed to build the car to the customer’s required spec. Production issues with one or more supplier can impact the allocation of the vehicle build week.
    • delivery from factory in SA to UK dealership; typically a minimum of 6 weeks, but may take longer.
    Might also be worth reading the ‘Track my Car’ FAQ’s from VW’s website;

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/track-my-order/faq

There will be a selection of new unregistered cars within the VW dealer network if you’re happy to be flexible on colour and spec. However, if there are ‘must have’ options that you want which would mean a factory order to your spec, then be prepared for a potentially long wait.
    DuncanM
    New

Post by DuncanM »

Thank you for such a detailed response. Guess I will just have to wait and join the queue.

One thing that I need to clear up with the dealer is the PCP Finance Offer. Recently the VW deposit contribution has gone upto £1000 and the APR interest rate has gone down. Obviously a better or "worse" finance offer will be around in 6 months time. I wonder if they hold the finance offer that was available at point of order or can you jump to the current around delivery time one which may be better or worse ? What is the experience of others in this case.
    TElwoody
    Bronze Member
    Drives: VW Polo 2018

Post by TElwoody »

DuncanM wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:01 pm Thank you for such a detailed response. Guess I will just have to wait and join the queue.

One thing that I need to clear up with the dealer is the PCP Finance Offer. Recently the VW deposit contribution has gone upto £1000 and the APR interest rate has gone down. Obviously a better or "worse" finance offer will be around in 6 months time. I wonder if they hold the finance offer that was available at point of order or can you jump to the current around delivery time one which may be better or worse ? What is the experience of others in this case.
    Im interested to hear too, got 2500 off my car through Carwow so I doubt they would/would want too, as i already have a big chunk off it. Worth asking but will wait to hear if that'll be in vain first.
    silverhairs
    Gold Member
    Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Most VW dealers will give you the discount from Carwow as long as you have proof, just print out the page and show them, for all you know, they might have given Carwow a price anyway, as for the good price you'll get for your, doesn't really come into it, they are boosting up their sales, anyway when they sell your Toyota, they'll make a profit on it
    monkeyhanger
    Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

DuncanM wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:01 pm Thank you for such a detailed response. Guess I will just have to wait and join the queue.

One thing that I need to clear up with the dealer is the PCP Finance Offer. Recently the VW deposit contribution has gone up to £1000 and the APR interest rate has gone down. Obviously a better or "worse" finance offer will be around in 6 months time. I wonder if they hold the finance offer that was available at point of order or can you jump to the current around delivery time one which may be better or worse ? What is the experience of others in this case.
    If you get a proper quote, putting all of your details through VWFS you will get a quote based on current terms and it should be valid and locked in until such time as you get another quote (although you should only go for another quote if better terms are on offer). Ask your dealer to put you back through the finance quotes and lock in those better terms.

If PCPing, it is not always that clear cut though - if the GFV has dropped significantly, the monthlies may not drop at all as you'll be financing more depreciation.

When I ordered my Golf R, the GFV was a staggering £18500/60% of RRP (hence all those ridiculously cheap lease deals), but no deposit contribution. I was so confident of my outstanding credit rating that I didn't lock in those terms by taking a formal finance check. 2 months in to my order, VW slashed £3k off the GFV for the Golf R, making the car about £80pm dearer, despite a drop in APR from 6.2 to 4.9%. With still no deposit contribution on offer, I bought it outright without finance.

I doubt the GFV has dropped much if any, on a Polo that is still a very newly released car, but it is worth checking if it has. If it has, then those APR%/deposit contribution gains may be cancelled out by a lower GFV and higher amounts of depreciation to repay.
    roywolfey
    Silver Member
    Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:03 pm

One thing that I need to clear up with the dealer is the PCP Finance Offer. Recently the VW deposit contribution has gone up to £1000 and the APR interest rate has gone down. Obviously a better or "worse" finance offer will be around in 6 months time. I wonder if they hold the finance offer that was available at point of order or can you jump to the current around delivery time one which may be better or worse ? What is the experience of others in this case.
    If you get a proper quote, putting all of your details through VWFS you will get a quote based on current terms and it should be valid and locked in until such time as you get another quote (although you should only go for another quote if better terms are on offer). Ask your dealer to put you back through the finance quotes and lock in those better terms.

If PCPing, it is not always that clear cut though - if the GFV has dropped significantly, the monthlies may not drop at all as you'll be financing more depreciation.

When I ordered my Golf R, the GFV was a staggering £18500/60% of RRP (hence all those ridiculously cheap lease deals), but no deposit contribution. I was so confident of my outstanding credit rating that I didn't lock in those terms by taking a formal finance check. 2 months in to my order, VW slashed £3k off the GFV for the Golf R, making the car about £80pm dearer, despite a drop in APR from 6.2 to 4.9%. With still no deposit contribution on offer, I bought it outright without finance.

I doubt the GFV has dropped much if any, on a Polo that is still a very newly released car, but it is worth checking if it has. If it has, then those APR%/deposit contribution gains may be cancelled out by a lower GFV and higher amounts of depreciation to repay.
    Not relevant to the OP as they are looking at an SEL, but one thing to note is that the new PCP Polo finance offer of 4.9% APR representative and £1000 deposit contribution doesn't cover the Polo GTI or GTI+. In both cases, the current VW Solutions PCP rate is now 6.6% APR Representative with Zero Deposit Contribution. When I ordered my Polo it was 6.1% with a £500 deposit contribution. Thankfully the original quotation at the time of order was honored, but if it had improved, I would have been inquiring about taking out any better offer.
    Kittycat
    Getting There!
    Drives: 2018 R Line

Post by Kittycat »

I first ordered my car in April and I have just got a build week for September in the last day or two
    I was looking to change the colour before build my dealer didn’t realise it was to late and has now ordered another polo, they thought it would also be here the time my first order arrived but now realised the 35 week wait and I’ll be lucky to see it before February if I decide to continue.
    All in all if I continue to wait for my second order and it arrives for February I will have been waiting you guessed it 10 months anything later and I will have been a year.
    Obviously this is partly my fault changing colours
    silverhairs
    Gold Member
    Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Also, if you get it in March, you'll have a 19 plate, which is better than a 68 plate :D
    DuncanM
    New

Post by DuncanM »

Kittycat wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:02 pm I first ordered my car in April and I have just got a build week for September in the last day or two
    I was looking to change the colour before build my dealer didn’t realise it was to late and has now ordered another polo, they thought it would also be here the time my first order arrived but now realised the 35 week wait and I’ll be lucky to see it before February if I decide to continue.
    All in all if I continue to wait for my second order and it arrives for February I will have been waiting you guessed it 10 months anything later and I will have been a year.
    Obviously this is partly my fault changing colours
    If you have placed two orders have you placed two deposits? Can I assume you will lose one of the deposits ?
    DuncanM
    New

Post by DuncanM »

silverhairs wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:11 pm Also, if you get it in March, you'll have a 19 plate, which is better than a 68 plate :D
    I'm not too bothered about the reg as I will be moving my personal plate, but I have always found the September change format ugly to look at. I much prefer seeing the year clean and clear.