Handbrake

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
richl123
New

Re: Handbrake

Post by richl123 »

silverhairs wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:30 pm
richl123 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:45 pm
RUM4MO wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:38 pm Always use 1st gear if facing down hill or reverse if facing up hill. If you stick with doing that you should not end up causing damage to the engine’s cam drive components .

Seems ignoring that has messed up a few VW Group chain driven engines!

Edit:- on the DSG front, as that is an automated manual gearbox maybe not as safe as proper auto boxes which probably lock up mechanically - someone else might know more on that front for a DSG equipped car.
What is the mechanical explanation around this please?
1st and reverse gears are the lowest ratio's in the manual box, but I believe reverse is the lowest. (TEST) put your car into 1st gear and see how fast you can go @ 2000 revs, look at your speed? Now put it in reverse, do 2000 revs and look at your speed? Could be wise when doing the reverse, to get a passenger to look at the speed?
Another test. With the car on a flat surface and put it in 1st gear or even reverse, ignition off and hand brake off now try and push the car, see how far you can push it? Now try 6th gear if you have it, see how much easier it is to push the car :D . That's why you put it in 1st or reverse.
Thanks I was more interested in the statement:

Always use 1st gear if facing down hill or reverse if facing up hill. If you stick with doing that you should not end up causing damage to the engine’s cam drive components .

Which seems the wrong way round to me?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Any rotational load on the engine, while it is switched off, needs to be in its normal direction of rotation.
jsandf18
New
Drives: 2018 SE

Post by jsandf18 »

Just joined up as I picked up my new Polo SE DSG yesterday and am wondering about the handbrake.

I’ve come from cars which have electronic handbrakes so am not as used to these as I once was.

This feels like a stupid question, but when I’m in Drive and stop at a light, is the handbrake supposed to hold my car? Because it doesn’t, it creeps. My last car with a manual handbrake was also an automatic and that was able to stop the creep if I applied it in drive.

In the Polo, the handbrake makes no different at all really, if I’m in Drive.

Is there something wrong or is that just the way it is?
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

Hi, if you apply the handbrake you should shift to Park or Neutral, or keep your foot on the brake. Hope that helps :-)
david.stark
Bronze Member
Drives: SE

Post by david.stark »

jsandf18 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:07 pm Just joined up as I picked up my new Polo SE DSG yesterday and am wondering about the handbrake.

I’ve come from cars which have electronic handbrakes so am not as used to these as I once was.

This feels like a stupid question, but when I’m in Drive and stop at a light, is the handbrake supposed to hold my car? Because it doesn’t, it creeps. My last car with a manual handbrake was also an automatic and that was able to stop the creep if I applied it in drive.

In the Polo, the handbrake makes no different at all really, if I’m in Drive.

Is there something wrong or is that just the way it is?
I have the DSG and use neutral if stopped for a longer period and then apply the handbrake.

My default procedure whenever I drive the car is to switch off the stop/start thing. I will switch it on if I know I’m going to be stopped for a longer period. Other than that it is downright irritating!

It kicks in when waiting to pull out at roundabouts or junctions which is dangerous really, hence I switch it off.
jsandf18
New

Post by jsandf18 »

[quote=david.stark post_id=540986 time=1535581376

I have the DSG and use neutral if stopped for a longer period and then apply the handbrake.

My default procedure whenever I drive the car is to switch off the stop/start thing. I will switch it on if I know I’m going to be stopped for a longer period. Other than that it is downright irritating!

It kicks in when waiting to pull out at roundabouts or junctions which is dangerous really, hence I switch it off.
[/quote]

Thanks, seems like it’s something I’ll need to get used to. I agree about the stop start. It’s too sensitive and I’ve had the same thing where it cuts out when I get to a junction or roundabout - it is dangerous, especially because the steering wheel locks too and doesn’t free up immediately.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

jsandf18 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:59 am Thanks, seems like it’s something I’ll need to get used to. I agree about the stop start. It’s too sensitive and I’ve had the same thing where it cuts out when I get to a junction or roundabout - it is dangerous, especially because the steering wheel locks too and doesn’t free up immediately.
Ouch, "steering wheel locks too and doesn't free up immediately" I hope that you have written that a bit wrongly, the steering wheel should never get locked until the key is off, I think that you are referring to the loss of electric assistance when the car engine auto stops, but surely this is only happening when the car is stationary, auto stop should only be enabled when the car is stationary, and auto start is enabled when you want to move or the car moves by itself, so the electric assistance should have returned by the time you need it.
jsandf18
New

Post by jsandf18 »

<t>Sorry, yes that is what I meant, and no, the auto-stop will kick in as the car slows down, just before it comes stationary. And it doesn’t start the second you need it so there is a split second where I need to start turning the wheel but am waiting for the electric assistance to kick back in and the engine to fully restart. I’ve been turning auto-start/stop off since yesterday and feel much happpier!</t>
Rb620
New
Drives: 2018

Post by Rb620 »

hi.. I have a new polo 2018.. having the same problems with the handbrake from day 1.. have it 6 months now and have been back at the main dealer 11 times for adjustment and repairs to try and get it to hold.. any way after getting new cables new drums new lever new ajustors basically everything to do with the rear brakes new it still DOES NOT HOLD.. they sent a report to the factory in Germany and the reply they got was it meets all there standards so basically tell me to F off
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

That does not sound like they are being very helpful!
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Rb620 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:42 pm hi.. I have a new polo 2018.. having the same problems with the handbrake from day 1.. have it 6 months now and have been back at the main dealer 11 times for adjustment and repairs to try and get it to hold.. any way after getting new cables new drums new lever new ajustors basically everything to do with the rear brakes new it still DOES NOT HOLD.. they sent a report to the factory in Germany and the reply they got was it meets all there standards so basically tell me to F off
Being your first post, you don't say what model, engine or gearbox you have? Are you parking on an incline when your handbrake will not hold, or are you saying that the handbrake won't hold when your in drive with your DSG gearbox? It's only the footbrake that disengages the clutches in the DSG box or when you put it in neutral.
But if you've been back 11 times for them to fix it, I'm not sure how you stand with your consumer rights? the member to get in touch with is David Stark, he's really brushed up with consumer rights, and has already helped out a couple of members.
david.stark
Bronze Member
Drives: SE

Post by david.stark »

I suspect you are out of the 30 day rejection period so to reject now is possible but is subject to costs and it’s a pain in the backside where PCP is involved.

Might be easier to argue a replacement car as opposed to total rejection.

Funnily enough, I noticed the handbrake not holding the other day. Not when parked, as mine is auto so being in park will hold the car anyway.

I was in traffic on a hill and put the car in neutral but it started to roll backwards even though the handbrake was in a fine position for the degree of the slope.
Rb620
New

Post by Rb620 »

Sorry for not providing all my details.. my polo is 2018 1.0 petrol 75bhp MANUAL.. it’s only for town and city driving we’re handbrake starts are essential we’re I live.. you’d need arms like rocky to try and get it to hold.. Volkswagen don’t want to know anything more about it..
Rb620
New

Post by Rb620 »

silverhairs wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:07 pm
Rb620 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:42 pm hi.. I have a new polo 2018.. having the same problems with the handbrake from day 1.. have it 6 months now and have been back at the main dealer 11 times for adjustment and repairs to try and get it to hold.. any way after getting new cables new drums new lever new ajustors basically everything to do with the rear brakes new it still DOES NOT HOLD.. they sent a report to the factory in Germany and the reply they got was it meets all there standards so basically tell me to F off
Being your first post, you don't say what model, engine or gearbox you have? Are you parking on an incline when your handbrake will not hold, or are you saying that the handbrake won't hold when your in drive with your DSG gearbox? It's only the footbrake that disengages the clutches in the DSG box or when you put it in neutral.
But if you've been back 11 times for them to fix it, I'm not sure how you stand with your consumer rights? the member to get in touch with is David Stark, he's really brushed up with consumer rights, and has already helped out a couple of members.
2018 polo 1.0 petrol 75bhp MANUAL
wizzywig27
Getting There!
Drives: GTI

Post by wizzywig27 »

The OH's Polo went in yesterday for a few things - one of them being the handbreak - guess what, they couldn't replicate the fault.

So out of five things it went in for yesterday, only one was fixed:

Seatbelt recall - temp fix
Power Steering recall - software updated (presumably fixed)
2 x USB Ports failing to connect to iPhone - failed to replicate
Handbreak - failed to replicate
Crack in screen - part on back order

I think she is going down the rejection route now due to Seatbelt issue - she tried to resolve it without going down this route but the retail manager didnt bother replying to her initial email :roll: