Handbrake

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Handbrake

Post by SRGTD »

With the previous generation Polo (6r/6c) with manual transmission, you have to depress the clutch to start the car. Don’t know if the new Polo is the same in this respect, but if it is, then that minimises the risk of the car jumping forward and demolishing your garage door!
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

I'm having a DSG box :roll:
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

silverhairs wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:48 pm I'm having a DSG box :roll:
Yes, I appreciate that, but much of the content of your previous two posts in this thread related to what you would do or have done in cars with manual transmission. I was pointing out that there is little or no risk of a Polo with manual transmission jumping forward if attempting to start it whilst in gear - assuming the clutch needs to be depressed to start it as per the previous generation Polo.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

My last auto box is when I had a Ford Granada 3.0 Ltr, long time back, there were only 3 speeds in that, it pulled like a train. Now they classify it as a slush box.
The one good thing about that was I could put it in drive, and not bother with it till I arrived 200+ miles later at your destination. I know it wasn't as economical as the manual, but when towing a 16ft caravan, it was a joy to drive.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Your right "SRGTD", I have been talking about manuals, but now I'm retired (8 years) I thought I'd get something where you can just concentrate more on the other idiots on the road.
The thing that's bothering me at the moment is this hand brake problem with the new Polo.
david.stark
Bronze Member
Drives: SE

Post by david.stark »

I’ve only had the car 2 days but the handbrake is fine. Not too tight and not too loose either. My dealer said they had not had any issues with Polo’s they had sold.

One thing I have noticed with stop/start and the handbrake is this:

Today I stopped at red lights on hill and they stay on red for ages. I enabled stop/start which kicked in and I placed the car into neutral so I wasn’t blasting people behind with my brake lights and put the handbrake on.

As the lights went to green (I was 4 cars back), I released the handbrake and put my foot on the brake pedal and placed it into drive. I placed my foot onto the accelerator and in the time it took for the engine to fire up and apply power, the hill hold had disengaged and the car rolled backwards slightly before moving off.

Without stop/start enabled, the car cannot roll backwards because automatic cars always creep forwards. Just one to be aware of and I think leave the handbrake on until stop/start has fired the car up again.
richl123
New

Post by richl123 »

RUM4MO wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:38 pm Always use 1st gear if facing down hill or reverse if facing up hill. If you stick with doing that you should not end up causing damage to the engine’s cam drive components .

Seems ignoring that has messed up a few VW Group chain driven engines!

Edit:- on the DSG front, as that is an automated manual gearbox maybe not as safe as proper auto boxes which probably lock up mechanically - someone else might know more on that front for a DSG equipped car.
What is the mechanical explanation around this please?
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

The rough layman’s explanation will be that some engine components will be getting subjected to forces not envisaged/considered during the design phase - ie a slip up.
Aube
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo SEDSG

Post by Aube »

Hi,

An explanation of dsg gearboxes.

https://www.carwow.co.uk/guides/glossar ... -explained
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Aube wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:28 pm Hi,

An explanation of dsg gearboxes.

https://www.carwow.co.uk/guides/glossar ... -explained
I think you have posted in the wrong post, this post is about "handbrake" problems
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Do you know, when I go and pick up my new Polo, the first thing I will try out is the hand brake, then I'll inspect the rest of the car. 8)
Aube
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo SEDSG

Post by Aube »

Hi

Sorry I was picking up on the post form richi123 with the comment

Edit:- on the DSG front, as that is an automated manual gearbox maybe not as safe as proper auto boxes which probably lock up mechanically - someone else might know more on that front for a DSG equipped car.
bwd
New
Drives: 2018 65

Post by bwd »

POLO HANDBRAKE UPDATE:
Got car back from garage today and replacing handbrake cables has sorted the stiff/notchy handbrake action - they said if anyone else is suffering a very stiff handbrake they should book it in and ask for new cables to be replaced under warranty - the contrast is astounding and feels very smooth now - SORTED!!
richl123
New

Post by richl123 »

Aube wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:07 pm Hi

Sorry I was picking up on the post form richi123 with the comment

Hello, I was actually after the mechanical explanation of the manual gearbox and using reverse/first when on a hill.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

richl123 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:45 pm
RUM4MO wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:38 pm Always use 1st gear if facing down hill or reverse if facing up hill. If you stick with doing that you should not end up causing damage to the engine’s cam drive components .

Seems ignoring that has messed up a few VW Group chain driven engines!

What is the mechanical explanation around this please?
1st and reverse gears are the lowest ratio's in the manual box, but I believe reverse is the lowest. (TEST) put your car into 1st gear and see how fast you can go @ 2000 revs, look at your speed? Now put it in reverse, do 2000 revs and look at your speed? Could be wise when doing the reverse, to get a passenger to look at the speed?
Another test. With the car on a flat surface and put it in 1st gear or even reverse, ignition off and hand brake off now try and push the car, see how far you can push it? Now try 6th gear if you have it, see how much easier it is to push the car :D . That's why you put it in 1st or reverse.