Handbrake

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Handbrake

Post by RUM4MO »

Sorry, I missed seeing that this is a duplicate posting!
Last edited by RUM4MO on Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Dark_cze wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:44 am Should be possible to fit disk brakes from 115hp polo and that is permanent fix :-D
Yes, I like rear disc brakes, everything is out in the open so they can get cleaned up easily if you want to.
kmm249
Getting There!
Drives: 2018

Post by kmm249 »

I think half the problem is VW won’t admit there is an issue with the handbrake. I got told that it’s moisture in the brake drums and it will get worse over winter whereas this is true or not I’m sure (dealership is abit of making up stories dealer).

I know unrelated but I’ve been using my sister’s 63 plate UP whilst mine been at the dealer. handbrake sticks on, you either have issues taking it off or it staying on when you took off causing the car to bleep at you. It’s been back for the brake drums (rear) and brake pads to be cleaned and greased under warranty when she bought it and my other half has done it again for her (his a mechanic) but made no difference.

It must a quantity thing or VW can’t design a good handbrake!
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I think that the legal requirement to have a proper emergency brake is/has dropped off as split diagonal braking systems have become the norm, this of course is not of interest to anyone finding that their car can not be held stationary when required.

Some of this is in reality nothing new to VW Group, non car literate friends had a new Polo many years ago when Polo was purely a VW designed and manufactured car, and that one ended up with the handbrake handle getting ripped/torn out of its mountings, the same for a Fox they bought many years later new, these people are just normal lightweight people not gorillas- again that would initially be down to poor handbrake efficiency backed up by poor strength of the mounting areas, really a bit similar to the pedal box collapsing nonsense that plagued VW Group in the past.
0boz0
New
Drives: Fiesta

Post by 0boz0 »

Hi,

Quick update, I got no response from anyone regarding the issues and whether they were rectified or not and by who. So I did some digging of my own, from a user location on here a rang the dealership in Scotland where he had a repair and got some interesting information.

The stated they have had around 10 polo's back with defective/twisted handbrake cables(Drum Brakes) Which apparently gave a notched and stiff feel. They seem to indicate a replacement handbrake cable has rectified the situation.

Supplied with this information I booked my polo in to the dealership and informed them of the evidence collected and issued raised on there internal elsa pro system and would like the cable to be replaced under warranty.

I'll keep you updated.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Seems like nothing ever changes with VW Group dealerships, well SEAT and VW anyway, complete shock and disbelief when I handed my wife's Polo 1.2TSI 110PS in with a noisy EVAP system valve, VW knew about that issue and had provided workshop instructions on how to handle that when it was presented by a customer, well if they had been honest that would have been the case, I had to request that my dealer contact VW UK and get back to me as I was not going to live with it - they did and sorted that out under protest and time wasting on my part.
0boz0
New

Post by 0boz0 »

Been to the dealership this morning, had a few safety issues sorted and also had the handbrake checked.

They were not happy with the operation of the handbrake but couldn't visually find a problem, and I thought my luck was out.

But as it wasn't efficient in holding the car felt notchy and stiff they have decided to replace the cables under warranty as I was aderment that others had experienced the same issue.

I'll let you know if the problem is sorted.
weejockvw
New
Drives: New

Post by weejockvw »

Had the cables replaced on my wife’s polo today handbrake now nice and smooth
But had to get VW customer service involved so if you feel the hand brake is not right don’t just walk away there is a fault with the cables and VW do no
0boz0
New

Post by 0boz0 »

Last update in this saga, Just got back from the dealership and the handbrake is as smooth as butter. :D
They replaced the cable, rebuilt the drums and adjusted the brakes, it is a world of difference.

They didn't confirm a twist or damage in the cable all that they said was it was a internal defect in the handbrake cable.

Whether it was twisted or defective from the off, it wasn't installed correctly or to the standard it should have been when these early model 18 polo's were built.

If there is a lot of cars effected then vw's internal system should flag it up and maybe issue a recall on the models built in a certain period that are effected, but whether they act upon it or brush it under the carpet, is another matter.

So if you have this issue don't be fobbed off by the dealership. If you handbrake is stiff, notchy difficult to engage its NOT RIGHT and you deserve it to be sorted under warranty.

Hope this will be of help to anyone experiencing this issue, All the best.
TElwoody
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo 2018

Post by TElwoody »

Hi all,

I've had my Polo for about three weeks now and i have definitely noticed the handbrake not being smooth, like an un greased, not smooth, creaking noise almost when pulled up with the button in.

My cars going in tomorrow to get the LEDs adjusted upwards, any advice or just stick to my guns that it shouldn't be like that?

Thanks all,
Tom.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Today I was doing my usual and "helping" my wife while she did some food shopping, so at Sainburys that means having a quick read of the car mags, seems like AEX likes the new Polo, it was a 1.0TSI 115PS 6SPD version they have - only issue, they don't like the handbrake "does not feel right and needs a lot of effort to operate" - or words to that effect - maybe an avid AEX subscriber needs to send them a message on this topic?
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

I'm also sending mine in, I'm on my second polo since they messed the first order up, and both had the same issue, like a horrible graunchy noise. I think I read on here that apparently they replace the cables.
TElwoody wrote:Hi all,

I've had my Polo for about three weeks now and i have definitely noticed the handbrake not being smooth, like an un greased, not smooth, creaking noise almost when pulled up with the button in.

My cars going in tomorrow to get the LEDs adjusted upwards, any advice or just stick to my guns that it shouldn't be like that?

Thanks all,
Tom.
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TElwoody
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo 2018

Post by TElwoody »

Adam_013 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:55 pm I'm also sending mine in, I'm on my second polo since they messed the first order up, and both had the same issue, like a horrible graunchy noise. I think I read on here that apparently they replace the cables.
TElwoody wrote:Hi all,

Thanks all,
Tom.
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Cheers mate, took mine in and they gave the whole LED lights are properly calibrated and out engineer tested the handbrake and found it to be completely normal. Also the diid a brake test and passed.

Might have another word with them and it is quite loud for a handbrake and the LEDs are almost a waste of a Grand with how low they're aimed.

Cheers buddy,
Tom.

P.s. enjoying your Pixel 2XL? I love my 2
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

RUM4MO wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:43 pm Yes, I like rear disc brakes, everything is out in the open so they can get cleaned up easily if you want to.
Rear discs are a pain, they often just don't get used enough.
People wonder why rear discs often need replaced before fronts, it's usually corrosion through lack of use or the calipers seizing and causing disc issues.
They're just fashion items on run-of-the-mill cars, there's really no need for them.
People just want to see discs through their fancy alloys, they feel 'cheated' if they have drums. :roll:
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

RUM4MO wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:37 pm Today I was doing my usual and "helping" my wife while she did some food shopping, so at Sainburys that means having a quick read of the car mags, seems like AEX likes the new Polo, it was a 1.0TSI 115PS 6SPD version they have - only issue, they don't like the handbrake "does not feel right and needs a lot of effort to operate" - or words to that effect - maybe an avid AEX subscriber needs to send them a message on this topic?
Read your post, and about the "Auto Express" We don't like the hand brake. Having time on my hands, being retired, I sent an email to "Auto Express's reporter Dawn Grant who has been given the 2018 SE l 115ps to drive around for the next 6 months.
I told her about the problem some members are having with their hand brakes, not only that, but I also told her about the wipers juddering and to look out for the 5th centre seat belt, making sure their Polo's belt has been properly fixed.
She has sent back an email saying it was one of the other reporters who found the hand brake heavy to pull up and not a lot of travel.

"Hi xxxxxx

Thanks for your emails, it was my colleague who wasn't happy with the handbrake but I will keep an eye on it and the windscreen wipers following your advice.

Kind regards

Dawn"

So it will be worth keeping an eye on the up-date reports of their "Own cars"