R-Line 115 Rear Bumper Issue

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
JCM
New
Drives: VW Polo R-line (Hopefully!)

R-Line 115 Rear Bumper Issue

Post by JCM »

I ordered an R-line 115 in Reef Blue on 1st February, one of the main reasons for selecting this model was the additional exterior styling, particularly the faux exhaust trims in the bottom corners of the rear bumper.

My selected options for the car included a detachable tow bar (specified on order form as a dealer fit prior to handover), which I require for a tow bar mounted bike carrier.

Following the build process the car eventually reached the dealership at the beginning of July, the day before the handover I was advised that due to the profile of the R-lines lower bumper there was an issue with fitting the tow bar.

Following dealer discussions with VW to identify a solution, it was suggested that there was 2 choices;

i). A 6 inch cut in the middle section of the lower bumper - defeating the object of having a detachable rather than a fixed tow bar.

ii) Replacing the R-line specific lower bumper with one from the Polo SE, the profile of this allows the tow bar to be fitted without the need of any cutting, unfortunately this part is just plain black and doesn't have the exhaust trims, although the way this is shaped in the two lower corners it looks like it could be possible for some form of trims to be fitted.

Seeing as one of my reasons for choosing the R-Line was the exterior styling, I'm reluctant to go with either of these two options, having waited 5 months for this car I'm currently at a standoff with the dealership on how to progress.

I have suggested to the dealer that the lower bumper from the Seat Ibiza FR (which has exhaust trims and allows for a tow bar) could possibly be adapted, but they have ruled this out as they won't fit none VW parts.

If I could get some form of trims to fit the SE bumper then I would probably go with that option, does anyone have any suggestions for this or any other solutions to resolve the issue ?.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Re: R-Line 115 Rear Bumper Issue

Post by silverhairs »

There are other types of bike carrier's on the market, ever thought of going down that road, you want to keep the rear bumper as it has fake twin exhaust ports. You don't want to cut into your rear bumper as you have ordered a detachable tow ball, and as for asking VW if they can fit a rear bumper off a Seat Ibiza :lol: . how much money are you saving, not having a tow ball fitted, put that money on an alternative bike carrier, If you have the bits that fit to the tow ball, to carry your bikes, sell them and put the money towards the new alternative carrier.
Simple solution all round, you'll be able to keep your R line rear bumper with the faux (fake twin exhausts)
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I’d avoid changing the lower rear bumper section for one one from a different model, as when the time comes to sell your car, it might give the impression it’s had rear end damage, and an incorrect replacement bumper has been fitted. I doubt the lower section of an Ibiza bumper would fit the Polo as I suspect it’s a different shape/profile to the one on your R-Line. I wouldn’t want a 6” hole cut in the bumper either, especially if it would be visible.

I’d check with your dealer to see if VW produce Polo-specific roof bars and cycle carrier attachment for the new Polo yet and if not;
- how soon these will be available
- whether VW produce a universal to fit a range of VW models, including the new Polo.

With roof bars and cycle carrier attachment, you can retain your model-specific rear bumper and also transport your cycle, and there’s no risk of obscuring your rear lights that there could be with a tow bar mounted carrier.

If there isn’t a VW manufactured solution to carrying your cycle on the roof, then there are manufacturers who do make roof mounted cycle carriers that might be suitable.

Hope you find a suitable solution.
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

Hi,
A year ago (ish) I had my ford galaxy fitted with a detachable tow ball.
Unfortunately, just like you, they had to cut the bumper slightly to install it.
On the galaxy, we were fortunate because the towball slides up into its slot underneath the bumper, rather than one that sticks out of the back.
The cut was very clean and you can't see it unless you lay down next to the car.
Check with the dealership.
If the towball connector is poked out of the back of the car, the cut could be ugly.
If it is under the bumper, the cut should be clean and 'invisible' unless you lie down next to the car.
Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

If you do have the roof mounted bike carrier, don't drive into car parks that have height barrier's fitted, you could end up with the first 2018 Polo convertible :lol:
All bike carrier's have their restrictions, you have problems seeing out the back or as above, height restrictions.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

There are also tailgate mounted cycle carriers available. If I was considering one of these, I’d want to make certain that the attachment points of the cycle carrier didn’t damage the edge of the tailgate of foul the panels adjacent to the tailgate though.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Really I've never thought of a bike rack, we are both retired, and don't even have bikes, too much like hard work :wink: We live in a village in Lincolnshire, and it's pretty flat, well it seems it in the car, but on a bike I have to change down, that's when I had a bike. I purchased a carrier that fitted to the tail gate, with 4 or 6? clips that were plastic coated, but I still put bits of rag underneath so to stop it marking the door. It really obstructed your view out the back, might as well get a van and put the bikes in. Motorhomes are the right vehicle to put bike racks on, they don't impede the rear view, at lest the bike wheels don't stick out either side.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Can I do a PS to my last post, we had bikes many moons ago, more than likely before some members were thought never thought of :lol:
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

JCM wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:16 pm I ordered an R-line 115 in Reef Blue on 1st February, one of the main reasons for selecting this model was the additional exterior styling, particularly the faux exhaust trims in the bottom corners of the rear bumper.

My selected options for the car included a detachable tow bar (specified on order form as a dealer fit prior to handover), which I require for a tow bar mounted bike carrier.

Following the build process the car eventually reached the dealership at the beginning of July, the day before the handover I was advised that due to the profile of the R-lines lower bumper there was an issue with fitting the tow bar.

Following dealer discussions with VW to identify a solution, it was suggested that there was 2 choices;

i). A 6 inch cut in the middle section of the lower bumper - defeating the object of having a detachable rather than a fixed tow bar.

ii) Replacing the R-line specific lower bumper with one from the Polo SE, the profile of this allows the tow bar to be fitted without the need of any cutting, unfortunately this part is just plain black and doesn't have the exhaust trims, although the way this is shaped in the two lower corners it looks like it could be possible for some form of trims to be fitted.

Seeing as one of my reasons for choosing the R-Line was the exterior styling, I'm reluctant to go with either of these two options, having waited 5 months for this car I'm currently at a standoff with the dealership on how to progress.

I have suggested to the dealer that the lower bumper from the Seat Ibiza FR (which has exhaust trims and allows for a tow bar) could possibly be adapted, but they have ruled this out as they won't fit none VW parts.

If I could get some form of trims to fit the SE bumper then I would probably go with that option, does anyone have any suggestions for this or any other solutions to resolve the issue ?.
One question, why oh why when you planned to fit a removable towbar to this car before it was handed over to you, and your car was a factory order, did you not spec it up to include a factory fitted towbar, if you had done that it might have flagged up a "can't do" on the configurator and that might have allowed you to change to a model that could have a removable towbar fitted at the initial build?
JCM
New
Drives: VW Polo R-line (Hopefully!)

Post by JCM »

Thanks for the responses and suggestions.

The detachable tow bar was specified on my original order, I was advised later by the dealership that it was going to be a dealer fit, carried out prior to handover.

For my current car I investigated the 3 main methods of bike carrying before settling with the tow bar solution which I have now been using for around 18 months.

I ruled out the roof option after seeing at close hand the damage caused when a car with a roof mounted bike had a disagreement with a car park height barrier, whilst the tailgate solution is prone to panel/paintwork damage and obscuring rear view.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Your dealer seems to be a clown, why would he/she not take onboard your initial request for a tow bar etc fitted at factory, best place to get it fitted, or, did they find that the configurator did not allow for that option to be selected - and then failed to find out why? Absolute clowns, in your position I'd be more than a big bit annoyed, I really hope that you get this sorted out to your satisfaction.

Edit:- not a funny story, very sad actually, but I was parked in one of these horrible retail parks, waiting for my wife to complete some shopping, when a car, maybe even a Galaxy drove along the ring road within that retail park, complete with probably its brand new roof bike racking with a brand new bike fitted - it drove straight under a height restriction device and the bike and rack complete with roof bars departed! So it does happen.