Recall - rear seat belt

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Aube
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo SEDSG

Recall - rear seat belt

Post by Aube »

Hi,

Received another letter today about the rear seatbelt as it now appears the fix carried out on the car a few days after purchase in May was an interim solution, so this recall hopefully is permanent.

Will call the dealer to get the car booked in for the 30 minute job.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Recall - rear seat belt

Post by RUM4MO »

If the original fix was a tie wrap then I'd hope that there was a replacement part becoming available to sort it out completely.
jdunstone16
New
Drives: VW Polo Beats 2018

Post by jdunstone16 »

Still haven't received a letter about the recall but booked in now on Tuesday
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

I'm assuming that new cars coming thriugh niw either have the tie wrap temporary fix or the proper fixed set-up?
Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Dan34 »

Before I picked up my GTI+ I had to sign a letter basically saying I wouldn’t have anyone sit in the middle seat....

Awaiting a letter for a permanent fix.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

So they're knowingly supplying a car technically not fit for purpose as a 5 seater. That's shocking in this day and age. I've had no such issuance of paperwork, and mine's coming from half the country away on the back of a trailer on Wednesday. I suppose they'd have to email me such a document and have me print, sign scan and return electronically at this late stage.
Aube
Bronze Member

Post by Aube »

Hi,

Agree. There is a statement in red saying not to use the seat belt, and even more ridiculous they say I will receive a warning sticker to attach to the seat belt until the fix is carried out. Why on earth didn’t they send the sticker out with the letter!
Robint
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 polo GTI

Post by Robint »

I’ve had mine for two weeks I have not heard anything about any recall. I will ask at the dealership

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

VW will be sending out wedges next to use instead of the handbrake?
bwd
New
Drives: 2018 65

Post by bwd »

I have had a long discussion with VW Customer Services re this recall.

I asked what form of recompense, or temporary car replacement, they were offering while fix was being developed. They said they were not able to discuss /offer anything at this time as their focus was ensuring drivers were aware of the issue (bull). I asked them to put that statement on an email and they point blank refused........

I also talked to a Solicitor as was wondering if Class Action could kick in to get compensation for loss of use of the car, but apparently that is only for goods purchased pre 2016. For them to do anything would cost upwards of £1000 and am not willing to spend anything other than time on this!

So we all now have a car that is not as described - ie it is 4 seater and not a 5 seater. Is that mis-selling?.

Customer services are claiming that they HOPE to have a permanent solution by November (didn't say what year) but until then we can't take 5 people in car as we need. I plan to talk to Dealer this week as I need a 5 seater.

This along with the shoddy handbrake means it will be the last Polo we ever buy.

We should lobbying dealers on this as it is grossly unfair.
Aube
Bronze Member

Post by Aube »

Hi,

I had the interim fix (69W3) carried out a few weeks after purchase, so according to the recall letter the car needs the (permanent) campaign 69X5. My worry is what bwd was told by CS contradicts what the letter says that the fix is permanent! If the fix isn’t and may take until November until a solution is found, then the car isn’t fit for purpose! We purchased a car to carry five people, not a four.

A call to customer service was no good as they have gone home, so I will be on the phone in the morning.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

Out of interest I put my registration into the Government recall check page but it doesn't show any recalls needed, does it show for anyone that has had a letter yet, maybe it's slow to update?
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

MilgeS wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:58 pm Out of interest I put my registration into the Government recall check page but it doesn't show any recalls needed, does it show for anyone that has had a letter yet, maybe it's slow to update?
There’s also a facility to check for o/s safety recalls on VW’s website - you just need to input your reg no or VIN.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/recallsSubmit

Hopefully, as a defective seat belt is considered to be a safety issue, it’ll identify whether or not your car, or other forum members’ new Polo, has the seat belt fix outstanding.

If it says there are no o/s safety recalls on your car, I’d check with VW and get them to clarify whether or not the recall campaign was carried out before you took delivery of your car. If it wasn’t carried out, it begs the question why the recall checker doesn’t return the correct result!
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:25 pm
MilgeS wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:58 pm Out of interest I put my registration into the Government recall check page but it doesn't show any recalls needed, does it show for anyone that has had a letter yet, maybe it's slow to update?
There’s also a facility to check for o/s safety recalls on VW’s website - you just need to input your reg no or VIN.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/recallsSubmit
Thank you for that link, both cars come back clear. Might do an online chat with VW to see what they so though :-)
JohnF
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 Polo SE 95

Post by JohnF »

The recall web site doesn't work, at least for inputing my reg no. But no problem I've just received the letter! (only 3 months after collecting the car)

It seems that VW are in a right mess over this
VWrecall-0001.jpg