VCDS/OBD11 type modifications

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Wooly89
New
Drives: 2018 ps65

Re: VCDS/OBD11 type modifications

Post by Wooly89 »

Hey all,

New to the forum awaiting delivery of my very basic standard 65ps polo on thurs. Hopefully I am in the correct thread! Just asking if it is possible to upgrade the horsepower rating yourself through OBD/VAG modifications? If not it must be a huge job of possibly acquiring a new ECU. Technically the engines are the same through the range of ps75 and ps115 polos. Only difference being maybe a change in gearbox as well due to the fact ps115 polos come with a 6 speed gearbox. Anyone with prior knowledge or know how of this type of request would be greatly appreciated.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

No chance of a performance upgrade through VCDS/OBD11 type devices. The 115ps will be quite different from the 65ps unit. The basic engine bock will be the same, but injectors and turbos will differ between the output range - the 65ps is probably (I haven't checked) naturally aspirated - if so, it won't have a turbo.

Similarly, there are hardware differences between the 2.0TSI Polo GTI, Golf GTI and Golf R engines - the Polo has a much smaller turbo. A golf R can remap yo almost 400ps, the Golf around 310ps, and it haz been implied that the Polo GTI is good for about 250ps.

Tuning boxes and remaps generally can up the power by around 25%.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Wooly89 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:21 pm Hey all,

New to the forum awaiting delivery of my very basic standard 65ps polo on thurs. Hopefully I am in the correct thread! Just asking if it is possible to upgrade the horsepower rating yourself through OBD/VAG modifications? If not it must be a huge job of possibly acquiring a new ECU. Technically the engines are the same through the range of ps75 and ps115 polos. Only difference being maybe a change in gearbox as well due to the fact ps115 polos come with a 6 speed gearbox. Anyone with prior knowledge or know how of this type of request would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the forum Wooly89.

I very much doubt it’s a possible DIY modification to upgrade the engine bhp via OBD11 / VCDS. I’m on a number of VW forums and I’ve never come across anyone doing this as a DIY mod. Aside from invalidating your new car warranty, there would be other considerations such as upgrading brakes / suspension and also the insurance implications of modifying a car.

If you need more power than 65ps, then wouldn’t it be better to go for a model with a higher power output? If you’re not bothered about invalidating your warranty, you could consider getting your engine mapped by one of the reputable tuning companies - assuming they’ve developed a map for the new Polo, or getting a tuning box.
Wooly89
New
Drives: 2018 ps65

Post by Wooly89 »

Thankyou SRGTD and monkeyhanger some variables I hadn’t considered with such an upgrade. I’m sure I will make do with the 65ps due to cost/financial position. Ultimately it was an idea to see if it was possible without too much considerable cost. :D
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

I saw a review of that very Polo on youtube and he seemed to think it was fine. Enjoy your new car.

OSV Volkswagen Polo 2018 In-Depth Review