Does CarPlay work?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Does CarPlay work?

Post by Leif »

I can't use CarPlay as it reboots every 5 minutes. I tried two third party 20 cm cables to connect to my iPhone 7, no joy. I'm now using an Apple 1 m cable, no joy, it reboots every 5 minutes, requiring two 'button' presses to get back to the original music. Useless, utterly useless. Does anyone else have issues or does it work as expected?

I can't imagine this is an Apple OS issue, CarPlay has been around yonks. Maybe it is the USB connector, it is rather hard to insert a cable. I can't see it being the cable, it's only a low speed data link, and the cables work with everything else e.g. when backing up my iPhone to my PC. My headphones have a digital connection with built in DAC and they have never had connection issues.
Robint
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 polo GTI

Re: Does CarPlay work?

Post by Robint »

Hi. Mine works fine no issues at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Dan34 »

Mine appears to work fine so far also.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Thanks both. It sounds like an(other) issue with my car then. I will wait till the next service, then if the issue persists, insist that they take it out for a test. Fortunately I can use the dashcam to video the screen, assuming the focus adjusts. If not, I'll use my DSLR to video it. I read online that rebooting my iPhone can solve the problem, so I'll see this evening if that did the trick.
kmm249
Getting There!
Drives: 2018

Post by kmm249 »

I have same problem! Mine freezes, get confused with with traffic radio announcements and if someone calls me.

I’m using the wire I was provide at VW when I picked the car up.

Just another issue for me with this car.

It sometimes works when I hold the on button down and do a reset of the system (something I had do on my Ibiza) but that’s not best do whilst on the motorway!
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

I might have solved this one. I reset my iPhone, only a soft reset so no data lost, and CarPlay worked perfectly during the 45 minute drive home this evening. I suspect the issue is with the iPhone, maybe not handling a disconnect correctly, and then going AWOL later on. It might also explain the radio issues too, as whenever I was able to turn the radio off, I’d previously been using CarPlay.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

How lucky I am, I don't have a mobile phone :D And I don't feel I'm missing anything. I had an old Nokia 6633, and I had PAYG, I put in £20, and that lasted till I got rid of it over 2 years later, and I still had £11.00 credit.
If I have an emergency, there are 1000's of people walking around with their phone in their hand, or if I'm in a shop or restaurant, I ask to use their phone, if I give them £1.00 for the call it works out a lot cheaper. If people want to contact me? Bad luck, I don't want to be found :) .
So trouble with CarPlay I won't have trouble with
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

I bought my first ‘smart phone’ one year ago, having used ‘traditional’ mobile phones for decades. I only bought it as I wanted a new phone, and an iPod for my music. To be honest I consider it an essential now. I keep CD quality copies of all of my music on it, and can play it while driving. It is easy to navigate the albums, and play one. I play ice hockey, and I get notifications of upcoming scrimmages (casual games), and I can reserve my place. I get news from my team about training and games. I can use Google maps to navigate in my car. I get automatic hands free phone usage. I was taken aback a few months ago when I got my first phone call while driving. I’d done nothing to set it up, just plugged in my phone, so easy to use. Yesterday driving to Swindon I asked Siri (the iPhone assistant) ‘How far away is Swindon.’ It replied ‘About 23 miles’. Wow! When in a town, I can check for the nearest Waitrose/Aldi, or check for somewhere to get a bite to eat. I can access my bank account and make payments almost anywhere. It is very useful, and has helped me get fitter, and make many friends.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

I find all this information on your smart phone is quite disturbing, as in todays world you have these very clever people, who can hack into your phone.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

silverhairs wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:45 pm I find all this information on your smart phone is quite disturbing, as in todays world you have these very clever people, who can hack into your phone.
Not really. Apple OS is pretty secure, for example they only allow installation of approved apps. And Windows 10 is far more secure than old Windows. I suspect the problems are with companies who suffer data breaches, and people who fall for phishing attacks and cold callers pretending to be from Microsoft etc, sometimes using data stolen from companies. The former is an issue for anyone who uses a bank, an insurer etc.

Maybe you recall a phone was recovered from a crook. Apple was asked to break the encryption. They refused. The US government as far as I know were unable to break into the device.