It's Arrived

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Klin42
New
Drives: 2018 SEL 115 6Sp

It's Arrived

Post by Klin42 »

Well it’s arrived my SEL 115 6 speed in Reef Blue and with 17in Pamplona wheels, ordered way back in December. My previous was a 2014 1.2 SEL 6sp.

My initial thoughts. Well of course the car is bigger, quieter and more refined all round. The new engine is very willing revver but it seems you need to use the gears rather more to achieve the same level of progress, that 1.2 was a great motor, but lets see if things improve once we have passed the 1000 km mark. The suspension seems rather more controlled and less bouncy but I am wondering if I should have stayed with the standard 16in wheels as the ride is too firm :-( Perhaps when tyre change time comes I will replace the Bridgestone Turananzas with Michelin Cross Climate + which I think I’ve read give a smoother ride ???

The infotainment system is great and I love how the screen its integrated into the dash. The climate control is so much better than the standard air-con in my previous Polo. The LED interior lighting is lovely, a very classy feel with footwell, door handle and dashboard width illuminants.

Surprisingly I find I have stalk operated cruise control which doesn’t feature as far I can see in the standard spec for this model, a great £285 bonus!

Another plus with the long wait is that while the year’s free insurance offer has expired the dealer deposit contribution has increased from £500 to £1000 and the APR on my PCP has dropped to 4.9% lowering my monthly payment and giving a smaller final payment.
Attachments
image.png
image.png (345 Bytes) Viewed 1588 times
Polo SEL 2018.jpg
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Re: It's Arrived

Post by silverhairs »

Lucky Klin42 and thank you for your write up. I'm a bit dubious about the 3 cylinder engine though I have ordered the 115 engine. The one thing with bigger wheels, it does give a harder ride, but a lot of people prefer it that way.
You also say about the infotainment system look good as it's built into the dash, look at a lot of premium cars and they have a mini laptop sticking up from the top of the dash, a bit of an after thought.
Anyway enjoy your new motor.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I could get round to thinking that a sticking up screen. Is better when using sat nav than a lower positioned screen, but maybe I’m wrong. I’m old school and like my own stand alone Sat Nav as they normally offer more features and are updated for life, both operating system and map data FOC.
camerar1
New
Drives: 2010 SEL 105PS, ordered 2018 SEL 115PS

Post by camerar1 »

Klin42 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:04 pm Well of course the car is bigger, quieter and more refined all round. The new engine is very willing revver but it seems you need to use the gears rather more to achieve the same level of progress, that 1.2 was a great motor, but lets see if things improve once we have passed the 1000 km mark.
I have similarly moved from a 1.2TSI 105PS SEL, although in my case a 2010 example, on which I ran 123K miles, mostly on motorway. Now at 1000 miles on a 3 week old SEL with 1.0 115PS engine. I agree with your comment on some more use of gears to keep it going, I have not assessed the specs but I feel that the 6th gear effective ratio may be a bit higher, as the published top speed is I believe higher. Picking up from 65 to 70 on the motorway for overtake sometimes needs a change down. Yes, I think that it has got a bit better after the first 1000km.

Overall it's a better car than its predecessor, just a bit different.

Fuel economy on my motorway commute has gone from 48-51 mpg to 57-61 mpg. So that's a big positive. No real feeling that it's only 3 cylinders.

The wipers judder, I know that I am not the only one, and I think that may have improved a bit with some usage - we have had little rain since I bought it.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

I think there's been a post for wiper judder, and somebody recommended a cleaner, and they reported that it worked and stopped the judder.
Start looking :idea:
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

I think there's been a post for wiper judder, and somebody recommended a cleaner, and they reported that it worked and stopped the judder.
Start looking :idea: