Mapping the fuses - need your help!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Re: Mapping the fuses - need your help!

Post by silverhairs »

This site could be handy to members who wish to hard wire their dash cam, bit of interesting information. it's not a New Polo, but correct way to wire up to the fuse board

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b9CvUMcNQo
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Please go back ontopic. I'm requesting some photos of the fuse boxes and not looking for comments or alternate (and IMO very bad) solutions for tapping a fuse box.
iichel

Post by iichel »

bump
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

You should've bumped earlier, I meant to get you these but forgot all about it.

I have been fitting a dashcam today and have done everything but tap into the fuses (routing and hiding cables between front and back camera, trim removal and replacement) in the fusebox because the manual is so woeful. It only identifies a handful of fuses in the interior fusebox, and almost all of them are ones I don't have. 5 min job once I figure out which fuse to tap for the permanent live and which to tap for the ignition live. To complicate things, the manufacturer states that the yellow positive is the permanent live and the red the switched, but actually they do either way and I can't remember which way mine is! The fusebox entry is woeful - it is a nice size for a hand, which means there is no room to see what you're doing, and the fuses are so close together, you need needle nosed pliers to get them out.

Your attached list should help identify fuses I have.

I haven't go a pic of the battery fusebox as there is a ton of stuff in the boot right now.

Interior fusebox:-

Bonnet fusebox:-

iichel

Post by iichel »

Thanks monkeyhanger, really appreciate it. I'll put some effort into updating the list in the coming days.

Do you perhaps have some numbers with the fuses, so I can determine what number belongs to which fuse? Unfortunately these pictures aren't quite sharp enough for that.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

How about this:

Image]

The diagram in the manual:-

It's not that i'm missing so many fuses, its that I only have full size fuse taps to hand.

Hopefully among the following, I have enough to pick from that cover one switched and one permanent live rather than getting a mini tap or 2.

Full size fuses I have: F6, F16, F17, F18, F19, F20, F27, F28, F33, F35, F36, F38, F55, F56, F59. Can you identify all of these for purpose?
iichel

Post by iichel »

Yes, that's perfect, thanks. 8)
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I think that I have my preferred fuses to tap: permanent positive to in car F6 (central locking) and switched positive to in car F55 (cigarette lighter and sockets). Once I try it out and confirm correct operation, I will be done and i'll be able to knock up an installation guide for wired in dashcam.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:46 pm I think that I have my preferred fuses to tap: permanent positive to in car F6 (central locking) and switched positive to in car F55 (cigarette lighter and sockets). Once I try it out and confirm correct operation, I will be done and i'll be able to knock up an installation guide for wired in dashcam.
Nice work, look forward to seeing it. Thank you
iichel

Post by iichel »

Thanks for your help monkeyhanger. Genuinely appreciated.

Please find the updated document of the fuses here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MlNZH ... Fc0fKcNGBn

Some fuses appear to be failing, others seem to be attached to nothing.
I guess there have been some revisions of the fuse box assignment compared to my wiring diagrams.

If anyone has any pictures of their fuse boxes, that would be kindly appreciated.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Lichel: might be worth mentioning that mine is the GTI+ with a few options (and it's extremely well specced anyway compared with the other models), so it's probably one of the most heavily populated fuseboxes you'll see on the Polo. It's still poor that the manual doesn't tell you what 2/3 of them are for.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

mike sel wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:55 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:46 pm I think that I have my preferred fuses to tap: permanent positive to in car F6 (central locking) and switched positive to in car F55 (cigarette lighter and sockets). Once I try it out and confirm correct operation, I will be done and i'll be able to knock up an installation guide for wired in dashcam.
Nice work, look forward to seeing it. Thank you
My suspicions above for which fuses to use were confirmed this morning - 10 min job to plug them in, confirm correct operation (making sure it properly started up on ignition only, and switched over to parking mode via the permanent live when ignition went off) replace the fusebox cover and finished!

I messed about with rear camera position, trying to avoid having the adhesive on the rear windscreen elements, but couldn't avoid it without having the lens looking through a filament line - this is due to the elements being closer together and having a different gradient than the Golf for the rear glass. I hardly use the rear heating, i'd rather go over the windows with some luke warm water in winter to defrost than resort to scraping the windscreen and using rear screen heating. I'ts rarely cold enough to refreeze in the works car park for home time.

I also kept the camera very low (within the unswept arc of the lower part of the rear wiper) to keep it tidier and not seeing about 6" of trailing wire above the tailgare interior covering, over the glass to the camera. I will have to keep the rear window clean manually to keep the camera's vision clean.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

Hi I made this from photos posted by monkeyhanger. If anybody know labels for fuses in engine compartmen let me know :)
Attachments
interior fuse box.png
engine compartment fuse box blank.png
phileep
Getting There!
Drives: Polo Beats 2018

Post by phileep »

Hey Monkey

Just seeing if you have managed to make to Dash cam installation guide?

Really eager to hard wire mine in and leave in place. suck a pain to take on and off with dangley cable.

Thanks
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

phileep wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:32 pm
Hey Monkey

Just seeing if you have managed to make to Dash cam installation guide?

Really eager to hard wire mine in and leave in place. suck a pain to take on and off with dangley cable.

Thanks
Not yet, i'm in Mexico on holiday right now, and was working away for a week prior to that. I have all the pics, just need to string some words of explanation in between.

It's all very easy except the end of the feed from the main car body to the boot for the rear cam (not a bother if you only have front cam) - it was very fiddly and lacked space.

I can confirm that those are the 2 fuses I ended up using, they are full size auto fuses, and used 2 piggy back fuse leads for them.