DSG folk

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: DSG folk

Post by monkeyhanger »

johnpolo2 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:05 am Not sure if I've read you right but mine wouldn't fire up if the car in front moved . Is it a city emergency breaking feature?

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk
Almost certainly a tie in with the ACC sensor, standard on GTI+, optional on other trims. Or possibly (but less likely) picked up by proximity changes on the front parking sensors if you have them.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:07 am
johnpolo2 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:25 am DSG all the way. The manual may be fun on a racetrack but not on our ever increasing crowded little island. Plus start stop in so much easier with DSG than with a manual set up.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk
I'd dusagree with DSG stop-start vs a manual. Manual is so much more useable. THere is no stop-start kicking in when you come to a stop unless you want it to. If you come to a stop and know those lights are about to change, or you're ready to exploit a gap at a busy roundabout, you keep the clutch dipped. If it's giing to be a wait, you knock it into neutral and bring the clutch up. The car fires up again when you dip your clutch to get ready to selecg a gear. Much better, no messing about with soft stops and hoping that stop-start doesn't kick in anyway.
Yes that is my experience in the manual Vs DSG. Stop Start with DSG is deffo made more unusable by the front assist sensors. its dam annoying that I coast to a near stop then the auto Stop start kicks in even of you have not quite stopped, then the car in front rolls forward 1 mtr and your engine restarts. It happens a lot when you are stationary, stop start has knocked the engine off. the car in front rolls forward a foot because it human nature to wish yourself into a gap that is not achievable, my car fires up then the car In front sits there for the next 5 mins waiting for a gap that appears only once a year. Yes so VW need to detach stop start from the front assist sensors. which are std on the R llne, the SEL, and GTI and I think of you opt for ACC.
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

I dislike stop start not having an option to set your preferred default.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

All very good having the stop/start working, but have VW up graded the starter motor to cope with the extra work it has to do?
If your a person who changes his/her car every 3 years, it don't matter a bit, as it's the next person who might have to replace the starter motor.
If your a person who keeps their new motor for 5 or 6 years, like myself, I'll disable the stop/start every time.
On the Nissan Note forum, members there have started complaining about the cost of their batteries, (those with the E12 that have the stop/start system) and it's been explained to them that, due to the extra drain caused by the stop/start they have to have a different type of battery, not just more amp hour type.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ Apparently they (and other marques) have thought of that and supplied more robust starter motors - it was mentioned in the VW literature when stop-start became the norm for all, not just the blue-motion models - somewhere at the back end of 2012 when the MK7 Golf first became available and all marques official combined mpg jumped about 20%.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

To be honest, a 20% saving for me doesn't even come into the equation, last year my Note diesel covered about 4,500 miles, not even that, I always put in Shell Nitro diesel, which is the dearest they do, OK, petrol engines may not do as many MPG as diesel, but last year I only visited a garage 10 times, and no I don't run the fuel level down to the red line.
I will still disable to stop/start, even though VW have beefed up the starter motor, I've been in my mates wife's car with a stop/start and even as a passenger when we stop, I worry it may fail to start when required to set off.

I'd worry more about it starting, than my wiper blades juddering, (that's when I get it).
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

That's a 20% test cycle saving (as the old 11 minute test cycle had around a quarter of the time with the car at a standstill), real world savings around 1%. Unless you are perpetually snarled in static traffic.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

silverhairs wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:30 pm
I'd worry more about it starting, than my wiper blades juddering, (that's when I get it).
I'll bet you will reverse your statement if your wipers judder, it is sooooooo annoying!!!