Wiper Blades

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Velodyne1200
New
Drives: VW Polo GTI+

Wiper Blades

Post by Velodyne1200 »

A few people have mentioned on this forum that they have had 'juddering wipers'.
I had a similar experience and tried a few things to fix this annoyance.
Having never really had this before - I went for the obvious fix and used glass cleaner to clean off any contaminants. It seemed to work for the first few wipes and then back to juddering again.
Annoyingly when spraying the screen wash the juddering would stop - the screen wash must have acted as a lubricant but only for a short time.
I checked the alignment of the blades & all seemed well.
Last resort - I booked the car into VW.
The technician reported that there was a 'build fault' and the wiper blades were faulty. They were replaced free of charge & are now working perfectly. :D
He did mention that there have been quite a few cars brought in with the same problem. Supposedly the rubber on the wiper blades has gone hard causing the juddering.
I hope this helps anyone with a similar issue.
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Re: Wiper Blades

Post by Cadwest »

Thanks for the info, gave my screen one final clean today with EZ car care Reset but doubt that will sort it so will be booking it in tomorrow.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

You can also use a clay bar on your windscreen to remove any contaminants stuck to the glass that might be the cause of wiper judder. Also, when cleaning your screen, don’t forget to clean the wiper blades too.
Cadwest
Bronze Member

Post by Cadwest »

SRGTD wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:28 pm You can also use a clay bar on your windscreen to remove any contaminants stuck to the glass that might be the cause of wiper judder. Also, when cleaning your screen, don’t forget to clean the wiper blades too.
Windscreen has already had clay bar treatment, also I’ve cleaned the wiper blades twice without much joy but thanks for advice.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

Yes mine were doing that. We have not had much rain where I live but I did rain for a whole day a couple of Sundays ago and in the end my wipers were working ok. I have had a recall on the seat belt. when I get around to booking it in I will ask them to change the wiper blades.
Cadwest
Bronze Member

Post by Cadwest »

Tested car again in the rain this morning and all judder gone so the EZ Reset did the trick 😁
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I’d reckon, for VW and the dealership, once a manufacturing error is known, in this case maybe aged rubber, the smart fix will be to replace with new stock and claim all costs back from the supplier as a credit, the supplier I think is a relatively new name and doubt not based any where in traditional Europe as we know it, I’ve forgotten the name at the moment, but let’s say that once again a European car maker has been caught out/let down by a “new” supplier promising they know how to make bits to the required standard, when in fact they don’t and don’t care.

Edit:- but they don’t charge much for these sub standard parts, ends up costing us a bit though in early life failures.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Poor wipers are historic faults with VW, usually Valeo wipers. Replace with Bosch Aerotwin and they're fine. Of course you shouldn't have to shell out £28 a set for VW's poor choice of wiper.

4 out of my last 5 VWs has come with smeary or juddery wipers (usually a banana shaped smear on drivers side, on downstroke). Last one to be ok was my Golf R.
Cadwest
Bronze Member

Post by Cadwest »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:26 pm Poor wipers are historic faults with VW, usually Valeo wipers. Replace with Bosch Aerotwin and they're fine. Of course you shouldn't have to shell out £28 a set for VW's poor choice of wiper.

4 out of my last 5 VWs has come with smeary or juddery wipers (usually a banana shaped smear on drivers side, on downstroke). Last one to be ok was my Golf R.
Decided to replace anyway with the Bosch Aerotwin as I hate crappy wipers.
david.stark
Bronze Member
Drives: SE

Post by david.stark »

First rain today since I bought the car and the wipers are awful. The front ones judder and the back one practically shakes like mad!

I’ll try the old vinegar on the blades trick or failing that I’ll get VW to replace them.

Not been doing it when using washer jets though.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Cadwest wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:42 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:26 pm Poor wipers are historic faults with VW, usually Valeo wipers. Replace with Bosch Aerotwin and they're fine. Of course you shouldn't have to shell out £28 a set for VW's poor choice of wiper.

Decided to replace anyway with the Bosch Aerotwin as I hate crappy wipers.
where did you get those? any reference number I should be looking for?
Cadwest
Bronze Member

Post by Cadwest »

Got them from Halfords and paid to have them fitted as it was raining, the number is Bosch AT Set A556S according to them. Paid £39 fitted, you’ll probably get them cheaper off amazon or elsewhere on the internet.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Thank you, ill get them. the wiper judders is bad on mine at the moment. I have an appointment at VW on 7th sept to carry out the recall temporary fix for the centre seat belt. I assume it will be a disable the belt and a sticker to say don't use it. then back again for a permanent fix when they can.

I did report the wiper blade judder and they said they said they would change the wipers at the same time under warrantee, but it kind of a dangerous fault so I would rather spend the £39 quid and get them done now.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Try Euro Car Parts for Bosch Aerotwin wipers. Currently, if you use discount code SALE50 at the checkout, you can get the front wiper blades (A556S) for £22.82 for the Polo (Euro Car Parts price before discount; £41.49). Don’t know how long the discount is available for. Free economy postage too.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volk ... 1d4&000604
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Lucky you folk, I've never managed to get front wiper sets cheaply at ECP, any car I've needed/wanted them for were not listed on ECP as a "S" pack - only something that was roughly the same with a selection of clips, I've never had trouble finding the correct rear wiper blades though.

Edit:- the original maker/supplier to VW will be FM which translates to Federal Mogul I think.